Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,626 of 5,350
I'm very impressed so far with the HEKSE. Just sold my HEKv2 and the difference between the v2 and the SE is bigger than i thought. SE is warmer, soundstage is way more realistically instead of huge like on the v2, timbre is way more natural and i actually feel like it has more subbass than the v2 even though midbass quantity is less but this could also be because of amping as my v2 was underdriven. I like the SE tuning also way more it seems closer to harman is that true? I don't look at measurements.

I was thinking about getting the Susvara but now i don't know if thats necessary since the SE is a very nice value because it's drivable directly from my dacs headphone out.
Yep reading through this topic the HEKSEs are sooo amplifier friendly just pick one sit back and enjoy. I’m familiar with your source and I also find timbre especially with well recorded vocals unexpected bonus with my headphone system, my main system at many times the cost also renders vocals with that same level of illusion your actually listening live , well the reality it’s just a little closer to the real thing .
I credit the HEKSEs mostly for this , all around well done plus they don’t seem to announce their presence while wearing them which is good for someone so accustom to speakers .

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,627 of 5,350
Yep reading through this topic the HEKSEs are sooo amplifier friendly just pick most type and brand sit back and enjoy. I’m familiar with your source and I also find timbre especially with well recorded vocals unexpected bonus with my headphone system, my main system at many times the cost also renders vocals with that same level of illusion your actually listening live , well not really it’s just a little closer to the real thing .
I credit the HEKSEs mostly for this all around well done plus they don’t seem to announce their presence while wearing them which is good for someone use to speakers only.
I largely agree that the SE is incredibly flexible from an amp perspective. The SE does absolutely reward you as you move up in quality of source and amp, not amp dependent but the SE does a great job of shining with quality components

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,628 of 5,350
Hi, apologies if this has been covered before. I was reading through someone's description of their HE1000SE HPs as follows: "This is the newer "rev 2" which means it uses the Serenity pads (dust filter is attached to the driver) and has the cloth filter behind the driver compared to the metal mesh filter." Is anyone familiar with this newer version, and does the revision change or affect the sound of the HPs at all? Thanks in advance, James

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #2,629 of 5,350
HE1000SE arrived yesterday. Besides the crappy cable....very impressive. My wife likes it too. BONUS
FFEDD02A-7A17-43C1-B6B9-19E3C071D7C1.jpeg

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2,631 of 5,350
What’s their after service like? And durability ? Any issues like headband or driver fragility.
And wondering how often they’re updated. Don’t really want to be another disappointed user if they update it right after I buy

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #2,632 of 5,350
Hi, apologies if this has been covered before. I was reading through someone's description of their HE1000SE HPs as follows: "This is the newer "rev 2" which means it uses the Serenity pads (dust filter is attached to the driver) and has the cloth filter behind the driver compared to the metal mesh filter." Is anyone familiar with this newer version, and does the revision change or affect the sound of the HPs at all? Thanks in advance, James
Are you sure that was not the hekse vs the hekv2?
or could it be about the arya versions where there may have been changes like that made?

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,635 of 5,350
I’ve had the HE1000se for a few days now purchased from Donato over the weekend. Great seller btw. Couple things. The squeaking REALLY bugged me. I put a drop of silicone bike chain lube in each area. No more squeaking. Second the treble is a little bright. For example the high hat on Sam smiths dancing with a stranger is definitely fatiguing/borderline piercing. I put in a single ply Kleenex and bam it’s perfect for me. I absolutely love these headphones. The clarity and detail is amazing. The sub bass is phenomenal. I currently have a topping 90 stack which I’ll change out to warm things up a touch. The ocd in me won’t allow me to have Kleenex in my headphones forever. Looking at a bifrost 2 to start...

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #2,636 of 5,350
I’ve had the HE1000se for a few days now purchased from Donato over the weekend. Great seller btw. Couple things. The squeaking REALLY bugged me. I put a drop of silicone bike chain lube in each area. No more squeaking. Second the treble is a little bright. For example the high hat on Sam smiths dancing with a stranger is definitely fatiguing/borderline piercing. I put in a single ply Kleenex and bam it’s perfect for me. I absolutely love these headphones. The clarity and detail is amazing. The sub bass is phenomenal. I currently have a topping 90 stack which I’ll change out to warm things up a touch. The ocd in me won’t allow me to have Kleenex in my headphones forever. Looking at a bifrost 2 to start...
Topping 90 will be too bright for me because I heard my Hekse with my son’s Topping 90 stack.

Amongst all the amps I’ve tried including solid states, I prefer it with WA22 and my forthcoming custom 300b amp. I get great results with Oblivion too.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,637 of 5,350

Consider as well that the bright treble may be the result of your Topping vs your HEKse. I know others that found that Topping DAC to be bright/fatiguing.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,640 of 5,350

Agree with the above in changing out the Topping stack. How exactly did you put in this Kleenex? I thought the HE1000se was too bright as well the first time I owned it with a SS setup, but now with an R2R DAC and warmish tube amp, the sound is near perfect for my ears. If you get that WA22...you might end up loving the HE1000se more than your firstborn child!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back