Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,611 of 5,390
Apr 10, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,612 of 5,390
Hi guys. I just ordered a brand new HE1000SE. I honestly havent looked hard for the answer to this question....so please forgive the simplicity of it. How long is the stock cable? I only ask because my listening chair a 10 ft cable is best. I have a Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM which I have a very nice upgraded Litz balanced cable with 3.5mm headphone side connections. I do believe it will be a great match.....unfortunately it is too short for my set up but it was a gift from Valentin at Kennerton when I ordered it. I sometimes will set up a chair next to my amp when I want to use it. One last question....do the latest release of this headphone come with a 3.5mm cable for a dap? If so that would be awesome as my Gjallarhorn did not come with a 3.5mm cable.

I have been wanting to try a Hifiman forever.....I never have had the opportunity to hear one. I once traded a LCD4 for a Utopia....the guy I made the trade with swears on his HE1000V2 as being the best of the lot. I had ordered a pair of Magnepan speakers from my dealer. They take like 10 weeks to get. Situation changed and I no longer had a use for those huge speakers and my dealer was kind enough to cancel the order and I had a big credit with him.....perfect time to try the Hifiman that I have always wanted to hear!

I have a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated amp and a Rogue HP-5. I believe that my system should be a outstanding match.
Enjoy! Looking forward to hear your take on it

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,613 of 5,390
I have a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated amp and a Rogue HP-5. I believe that my system should be a outstanding match.
From what I have read that PrimaLuna should pair very well.

From what I have personally heard, here is a list of gear that I have used with the Hekse that has not paired well:

(intentionally left blank)

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,614 of 5,390
Also I will chime in on the ridiculousness I have been reading in this thread with the people angry at Hifiman for upgrading their product. JUST pretend that they do not give you an option for a upgrade and the only way you can get a HE1000SE if you have a V2 is to buy a new HE1000SE. Problem solved....now you can spend a lot more money to get your hands on a HE1000SE and can quit your wining!

How dare Hifiman improve on a product. How dare they reward us consumers with the ability to get our hands on that new product with out paying full retail for it. What are they thinking. How could I possibly support a company that would do something like this. Frankly, I wish every manufacture did this.....and not just headphones.....everything!

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,615 of 5,390
Also I will chime in on the ridiculousness I have been reading in this thread with the people angry at Hifiman for upgrading their product. JUST pretend that they do not give you an option for a upgrade and the only way you can get a HE1000SE if you have a V2 is to buy a new HE1000SE. Problem solved....now you can spend a lot more money to get your hands on a HE1000SE and can quit your wining!

How dare Hifiman improve on a product. How dare they reward us consumers with the ability to get our hands on that new product with out paying full retail for it. What are they thinking. How could I possibly support a company that would do something like this. Frankly, I wish every manufacture did this.....and not just headphones.....everything!
Seriously, wouldn't it be nice if DAC's and headphones amps were modular.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,616 of 5,390

Yeeepppp! I agree

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,617 of 5,390

I just stopped back in here for an update, are people still complaining about that V2 to SE thing now 2-3 years later? Damn.

I've been keeping my eyes pealed for a totally new HiFiMAN flagship, but still nothing. Just the HEKSE and the Susvaras. How boring.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #2,618 of 5,390
I just stopped back in here for an update, are people still complaining about that V2 to SE thing now 2-3 years later? Damn.
No.
that was just a post for someone that read old posts

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #2,620 of 5,390
I don’t know how true comments I’ve read suggesting the HEKSE is 90% of the Susvaras , I just don’t know about that.
Certainly the Susvaras along with the purchasing a Nimbus amplifier would be a commitment $ to follow through on with a equally great performing front end including everything else up and down the line. Though one certainty in this hobby is the retail price of said component has no bearing on performance , well not everything.

Yes, it's hard to simply try to distill performance down to a single number. Different people value different aspects (detail, timbre, bass slam, extension, aesthetics, ergonomics). But no doubt a Susvara is superior and scales higher with better equipment (DAC, amp and a decent amp is pretty much necessary to get the most out of the Susvara). An HEK SE does get you most of the way there, but if you want to best performance, it won't top a Susvara appropriately driven.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #2,622 of 5,390
I'm very impressed so far with the HEKSE. Just sold my HEKv2 and the difference between the v2 and the SE is bigger than i thought. SE is warmer, soundstage is way more realistically instead of huge like on the v2, timbre is way more natural and i actually feel like it has more subbass than the v2 even though midbass quantity is less but this could also be because of amping as my v2 was underdriven. I like the SE tuning also way more it seems closer to harman is that true? I don't look at measurements.

I was thinking about getting the Susvara but now i don't know if thats necessary since the SE is a very nice value because it's drivable directly from my dacs headphone out.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,623 of 5,390
I'm very impressed so far with the HEKSE. Just sold my HEKv2 and the difference between the v2 and the SE is bigger than i thought. SE is warmer, soundstage is way more realistically instead of huge like on the v2, timbre is way more natural and i actually feel like it has more subbass than the v2 even though midbass quantity is less but this could also be because of amping as my v2 was underdriven. I like the SE tuning also way more it seems closer to harman is that true? I don't look at measurements.

I was thinking about getting the Susvara but now i don't know if thats necessary since the SE is a very nice value because it's drivable directly from my dacs headphone out.
I had approximately the same reaction -- bigger difference than I thought at first. On listening for a while, going back and forth, I decided that it wasn't any one thing -- a small improvement in a number of characteristics.

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,624 of 5,390
And all this being said, I'm loving the sound of my HEK SE paired with my Cayin HA-300. The soundstaging and the midrange from the Cayin really play well with the HEK SE capabilities.
Whilst I've not tried Cayin HA-300, I had a great time with McChanson's 300b amps driving Hekse.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,625 of 5,390
I had approximately the same reaction -- bigger difference than I thought at first. On listening for a while, going back and forth, I decided that it wasn't any one thing -- a small improvement in a number of characteristics.
I'm also pretty sure that the biggest difference comes from my amp not optimal driving the v2 but having no problems with the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back