Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #13,756 of 14,653
I had the Fosi T20. That thing sounded spectacular until i bricked it by replacing the tubes without unplugging it first. Its off switch doesn't really turn it off ...so it seems.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #13,757 of 14,653
Thank you all for the recommendations but I'm very, very reluctant and skeptical of introducing what appear to be cheap, poorly made, lo-fi, chi-fi components into my system while driving my HEKS.
I've been in the game for three decades. I've had components literally catch fire, blown rectifier tubes, blown this, blown that, etc. I've had components fail here and there and they were never well established names in the industry. It was all the mediocre to lower end stuff that came from literally the other end of the world. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's success with components. I'm just speaking of my own experience.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #13,758 of 14,653

@ 35:40 min he said that Topping can't handle the treble of the stealth / organic. I wanted to buy Smsl D6s and Topping A70Pro. But I am not sure anymore. The only alternative which is cheaper than the headphone and comes with a remote are products from Gustard or Aune (class a). But then I think: With the topping you hear the hifiman like it sounds without coloration. But maybe he meant cheaper toppings and not the A70Pro.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #13,759 of 14,653

@ 35:40 min he said that Topping can't handle the treble of the stealth / organic. I wanted to buy Smsl D6s and Topping A70Pro. But I am not sure anymore. The only alternative which is cheaper than the headphone and comes with a remote are products from Gustard or Aune (class a). But then I think: With the topping you hear the hifiman like it sounds without coloration. But maybe he meant cheaper toppings and not the A70Pro.

Nothing to do with amp. I find it funny everything is emphasized around amp when its principle is JUST to amplify what is feed to it….

People are clueless even reviewers like him.

I can recommend a DAC that would make love to those highs.

Audio-gd R-1 NOS. It is all about the DAC. If you got a good clean amp = FORGET EVERYTHING he said

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #13,760 of 14,653
It's certainly isn't all about the numbers and specs. Clean sounding amplifiers that measure very well can be some of the most uninvolving, soulless amps to use. I know. I've had a Benchmark AHB2 once and the HPA4 twice! The stereo amp drove a Susvara and the headphone amp drove multiple headphones over the course of a few years. For me, it's simply removed too much emotion from the listening experience. Yes, it took me three times to figure this out, lol! But just saying, measurements don't mean crap.

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #13,761 of 14,653
It's certainly isn't all about the numbers and specs. Clean sounding amplifiers that measure very well can be some of the most uninvolving, soulless amps to use. I know. I've had a Benchmark AHB2 once and the HPA4 twice! The stereo amp drove a Susvara and the headphone amp drove multiple headphones over the course of a few years. For me, it's simply removed too much emotion from the listening experience. Yes, it took me three times to figure this out, lol! But just saying, measurements don't mean crap.
Compatibility means something between dac and amp. Therefore specs is important ofcourse.

What DAC did you use?

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #13,762 of 14,653
Compatibility means something between dac and amp. Therefore specs is important ofcourse.

What DAC did you use?
The internal the Lumin T3. When I had the benchmark products, I had various R2R's from Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE and Sonnet Morpheus and Metrum Onyx.

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #13,763 of 14,653
The internal the Lumin T3. When I had the benchmark products, I had various R2R's from Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE and Sonnet Morpheus and Metrum Onyx.
Don’t get me wrong I can not say my Audio-gd is completely clean in sound. It does adds some sweet velvety/silky analog texture, very very subtle.

There seems to be a trend nowa days that amping should be more than just amping.

I found my amp too powerful for HE1000 and switched the cable to SE/Unbalanced.

I have tried many DACs on my amp, they all sounded different. Thats the principle of amp.

= Don’t stand in the way of the music

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #13,764 of 14,653

He just said topping, not A70 pro. Most older toppings like the A50, A90, and all the cheap ones in between, have a similar congested, "detailed", and shrill sound to them when used with high end planars. The A70 pro reproduces exactly what the signal provides, no harshness or shrillness, no more space or less space than what the signal provides, and all the dynamics and punch of a speaker amp (I have tested it against the A90, Ferum oor stack, Signature, and NC400 monoblocks, it easily best or matched all of them). So if that interest you, it's a great deal and alternative to other highly detailed amps. Otherwise, I would go for something like the GSX mini / mk2 or other similar class A amps.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #13,765 of 14,653
Thank you all for the recommendations but I'm very, very reluctant and skeptical of introducing what appear to be cheap, poorly made, lo-fi, chi-fi components into my system while driving my HEKS.
I've been in the game for three decades. I've had components literally catch fire, blown rectifier tubes, blown this, blown that, etc. I've had components fail here and there and they were never well established names in the industry. It was all the mediocre to lower end stuff that came from literally the other end of the world. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's success with components. I'm just speaking of my own experience.
Poorly made?! That's a BOLD assumption! This isn't 2010 Chi-Fi.

Does this board look cheap or poorly engineered?! The only thing cheap about this unit was the wall-wart they included.

IMG_0202.jpeg

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #13,766 of 14,653
Poorly made?! That's a BOLD assumption! This isn't 2010 Chi-Fi.

Does this board look cheap or poorly engineered?! The only thing cheap about this unit was the wall-wart they included.

It is pretty valid reason.

I don’t have anything connected or even turned off with power cables connected: that does not meet the product certification CE.

——

I use to, still do experiment with DSP plugins and have a lot of success with tube plugins also.

I like to compromise details for warmth and punch. Cheap silver cables, coats the music to my ear. The bass/lowend takes a hit, and becomes more refined.

After I switched to Pink Faun I2S Bridge and Pink Faun I2S Cable I got a taste of sweet warmth music which made me prioritise copper all the way. This is making me change out my silver USB cable and ordering a Pink Faun USB.

—-

My deepest recommendation to ESS based dacs. Get good copper cables before tube amps. Specially for pairing with HE1000V2 Stealth which comes with hybrid cable. Very good cable btw👍

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #13,768 of 14,653
Great comparsion of amps - sadly missing amp comparsion with RME adi-2, which is my reference

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #13,769 of 14,653
Great comparsion of amps - sadly missing amp comparsion with RME adi-2, which is my reference
Why?

Don´t waste money on another amp your RME will be better than any of the XLR choices for your HE1000.

Don´t do it! it is a waste of money you can use on another part of you system.

You just need to EQ it on the DSP in the RME and not other softwares.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #13,770 of 14,653
indeed, i was just interested
i have 2 RME which are excellent 👍👍👍

Does anybody have a frequency chart comparing --V2-- --STEALTH-- and --SE-- ? I could not find one🥺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back