Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #13,741 of 14,685
I agree, even though I haven't been in contact with Eric, as is expensive to import from Australia.
I think most of these smaller builders/companies all have great service, it was the same with Tor Audio, nothing bad to say about that experience either 👍
I'm lucky, I live down under. Dealing with Poland is harder (more $$) though. Although W is covering everything shipping wise. He made me a prototype, I used it for 6 months and he's tweaking it and making me a brand new one! Sending very shortly I hope.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #13,742 of 14,685
I would say HE1000V2 stealth is mobile device friendly.

My headamp is too powerful.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #13,743 of 14,685

Agree! My Ifi Go Blu powers it beautifully and and sounds very good too.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #13,744 of 14,685

I have both the Headamp GSX mk2 and the Mini over here and sometimes I feel the mk2 is too much. Sometimes the less aggressive highs and SLIGHTLY leaner bass of the Mini sound better to me on my V2 Stealths.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #13,746 of 14,685
So, In my quest to find a tube headphone amplifier with sufficient drive to run my HEK V2 Stealth I was thinking, what if I just got a tube integrated amplifier and ran the headphone off of the binding posts? Has anyone driven their HEK off of the binding posts of their tube integrated amp?

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #13,747 of 14,685
So, In my quest to find a tube headphone amplifier with sufficient drive to run my HEK V2 Stealth I was thinking, what if I just got a tube integrated amplifier and ran the headphone off of the binding posts? Has anyone driven their HEK off of the binding posts of their tube integrated amp?
I have not done an HEK off binding posts, but I used a tube preamp/speaker amp as my main rig for quite a while and planars love them as the output impedance should be very low.

That said, the HEK isn't so stupid inefficient to really need all that power, so you'll have the volume set quite low all the time. You'll also hear any noise those tubes generate like crazy, and it drove me mad.

I am presuming that you're referring to an integrated amp with a tube preamp and solid state power amp. If it's all tube, I believe that the power amp is expecting a certain load, and going from a 4/8 ohm load to a 30 ohm load isn't a good idea.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #13,748 of 14,685
I have not done an HEK off binding posts, but I used a tube preamp/speaker amp as my main rig for quite a while and planars love them as the output impedance should be very low.

That said, the HEK isn't so stupid inefficient to really need all that power, so you'll have the volume set quite low all the time. You'll also hear any noise those tubes generate like crazy, and it drove me mad.

I am presuming that you're referring to an integrated amp with a tube preamp and solid state power amp. If it's all tube, I believe that the power amp is expecting a certain load, and going from a 4/8 ohm load to a 30 ohm load isn't a good idea.
Initially I was thinking 100% tube integrated but you bring up some good points. I might be better off just getting a tube headphone amplifier that has a powerful output.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #13,749 of 14,685
Or, maybe I should just be content with my GSX mk2 or Mini?
They both sound fantastic. The mk2 has tremendous slam and weight and is more airy. The Mini is smoother with less irritating highs. I should be nuts to even consider anything else. But we're all a little nuts, I think.

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #13,750 of 14,685
Initially I was thinking 100% tube integrated but you bring up some good points. I might be better off just getting a tube headphone amplifier that has a powerful output.
I am also under the impression that tubes "like" high impedance loads and are better at supplying voltage than current, which is the reverse of what a planar needs. But I am sure modern amplifiers have all that figured out, etc.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #13,751 of 14,685
A tube amp for the HE1000 Stealth is a very small return high investment IMHO. HEKS does not need it, it's not Susvara. If new HEKS owners really want to rub their tube itch ...they should first try a hybrid amp like the Schiit Vali.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #13,752 of 14,685
To anybody wondering the difference in terms of power between HE400SE vs HE1000V2 Stealth.

HE1000V2 Stealth
Impedance: : 32Ω1 Sensitivity: : 93dB

HE400SE
Impedance: : 25Ω1 Sensitivity: : 91dB

HE400SE is more hungry and just scales on more powerful amps!

---

I have theory on the break-in with HE1000V2 Stealth. The newer planer technology are more refined and have a much/too faster transient responds in the break-in period comparing to Arya V2.

My brain is rewiring to the fast transient speed of HE1000V2 Stealth. I think the break-in period is much longer on these headphones than Arya V2.

My Arya V2 took for me a lot more than 200hours. I want to say atleast 3+ months. I have a strong assumption I will like the HE1000V2 Stealth after 6+ months

I like this EQ so far
1702492201325.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #13,753 of 14,685
Or, maybe I should just be content with my GSX mk2 or Mini?
They both sound fantastic. The mk2 has tremendous slam and weight and is more airy. The Mini is smoother with less irritating highs. I should be nuts to even consider anything else. But we're all a little nuts, I think.
Yes, we are all a bit nuts for sure 😊
If you get an OTC tube amp, power shouldn't be an issue with the HEKS. OTL amps aren't quite as suited for planar's.
I know both Eufonika and McChanson can make OTC amps if you ask, I got a quote on one from Eufonika myself. Tor Audio, Cyain and I also believe Woo Audio all make OTC amps as well, so there are plenty to choose from, in many price ranges. So you don't have to spend a lot, if you just want to see what the tube world has to offer.
I quite like it for the HEKS, tones down just a tad of the top end and adds some warmth ro the midrange, which suits them a lot IMO.
Edit: spelling corrections.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #13,754 of 14,685
Yes, we are all a bit nuts for sure 😊
If you get an OTC tube amp, power shouldn't be an issue with the HEKS. OTL amps aren't quite as suited for planar's.
I know both Eufonika and McChanson can make OTC does you if you as, I got a quote on one from Eufonika myself. Tor Audio, Cyain and I also believe Woo Audio all make OTC amps as well, so there are plenty to choose from, in many price ranges. So you don't have to spend a lot, if you just want to see what the tube world has to offer.
I quite like it for the HEKS, tones down just a tad of the top end and adds some warmth ro the midrange, which suits them a lot IMO.
Great to hear.
Does anyone have experience with tube amplifiers compared to either GSX mk2 or Mini? I just want to see if I'm wasting my time or not buy pursuing tube amplification.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #13,755 of 14,685
You want tubes for your HE1000? I got your solution:

IMG_2294.jpg

This little pre-amp from AliExpress is nothing short of amazing, and can be had for $40!! AIYIMA, Fossi Audio, Rod Rain, FX Audio, they come with different branding but all are the same. Not only do you get that awesome tube-sound, you have tone control to suit your needs. Best part is the OP-amps can be rolled, just like the tubes!

Paired with my TOPPING D30/A30 Pro, I have been using this little gem almost exclusively with my HE 1000 Stealth, and will not turn back. This little box is nothing short of magic! ZERO hiss or hum, even at max pre-amp volume. However, I did take it to the next level by replacing the capacitors with WIMA and Nichicon FG, along with adding a linear PSU, and wow, wow, WOW WOW WOW!! This is a game changer! Even good ole Joshua Valour highly recommends adding this little guy to one's set-up, especially if you have one of those squeaky clean THX or NFC amps. Oh, that black box next to it is a passive pre-amp I have connected to the right channel output so I can dial in the balance (because no two tubes are equal in output).

I removed the OP-amps as I don't need any additional gain nor like messing with the tone controls, giving nothing but a pure tube sound (and IMO sounds sweeter).

I highly recommend giving this a try before going out and rolling the dice with actual OTL Tube amps. It's $40!

Tubes I have:

GE JAN 5456W/5725W
Sylvania JAN 5654W
Lorenz 5456 black plate
Raytheon 5654
RTC (Mullard) 5654
Mullard M8100/CV545
Svetlana 6zh1p ev
Voskhod 6j1p-ev

My favourite and recommended tubes would be either the Mullard M8100 or the Svetlana 6zh1p ev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back