Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 20, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #13,651 of 14,701
Really depends on what sound aspect you prioritize, soundstage, bass, analog vs hifi sound and etc.

I used to use the singer sa1 + ares 2 + He1000v2 - it's very warm and analog sounding, soft and spacey. Didnt pair very well with the He1000v2. It would probably pair better with the He1000 stealth though.
Remember to budget for some quality USB cables and interconnects too.
I would like to prioritize soundstage and also tame the treble a bit.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #13,652 of 14,701
Hello! I was hoping people here could help me out with a decision regarding the DAC-AMP solution for an HE1000 Stealth arriving soon, before my postponed hospital visit begins (I hope, Hifiman!!). Now, before giving me flak for my potential choices, remember that I am terminally ill, and technically living under the poverty line with my early pension, so money is very tight.

I have narrowed my choices down to two contenders, unless someone here can point me out some miraculous solution, or there's a good used option(s) out there in the category of sub 350€ overall budget . The choices are
an Xduoo TA-10R tube hybrid dac-amp, and Hifiman EF400. In terms of price, the EF400 would cost me about 40€ more, but I think I would spend at least 20€ on a tube upgrade on the Xduoo one, so almost the same price. The EF400, even with Hifiman fixing the phase issues, struggles with the lack of inputs which is dumb in my opinion.

Now I do understand that the EF400s DAC-section should be the top performer of the two, but overall I hear the entire unit can be a bit on the bright side. I'd like to try and tame the HE1k Stealth's top end a tad bit, and figured the TA-10R could be a contender, and should have enough juice too (2000mW @ 32ohm). Then again, I am already going to go with aftermarket Dekoni pads which should smooth out the treble and steady some midrange dips a little, so I don't know. (Note that using EQ will not be happening.)

Input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Additional info; I already own a balanced DAC, but it's an old (but great sounding) Parasound Zdac, but whatever I get will have to work with android devices without issues via USB, and I don't even know if that's possible with the Zdac yet (will hopefully get to try soon). Also the Zdac has some limitations on the USB side of things.

Edit: I may have the chance to buy a used Schiit Jotunheim 1 with the cheaper DAC option included, non multibit. Any opinions on this?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #13,653 of 14,701
I would like to prioritize soundstage and also tame the treble a bit.
Thinking back I would not re purchase the Singer sa1 and ares 2 if my budget was ~1500.
First it breaks the general principle of the DAC shouldn't cost more than the amp.
Second, eventually you will very likely want to upgrade to the Gustard r26 DAC if you end up loving the r2r sound.
The Ares2 left me wanting more....

With the budget of ~1500 I would consider and research the IFI Zen stream plus linear power supply and pair it with a Cayin RU7 dongle dac with a linear power supply. Now you have a desktop and portable setup if needed.

I have ordered the ru7, a linear power supply and will recieved it in a few weeks.

The ru7 should be adequate to drive the He1000 stealth, if not then I would look for an amp.
The ru7 has line out.
Plus use all high quality copper cables and interconnects.

You must have a very clean source (streamer) and power (linear power supply) if you want to hear and see a 3d holographic soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #13,654 of 14,701
Hello! I was hoping people here could help me out with a decision regarding the DAC-AMP solution for an HE1000 Stealth arriving soon, before my postponed hospital visit begins (I hope, Hifiman!!). Now, before giving me flak for my potential choices, remember that I am terminally ill, and technically living under the poverty line with my early pension, so money is very tight.

I have narrowed my choices down to two contenders, unless someone here can point me out some miraculous solution, or there's a good used option(s) out there in the category of sub 350€ overall budget . The choices are
an Xduoo TA-10R tube hybrid dac-amp, and Hifiman EF400. In terms of price, the EF400 would cost me about 40€ more, but I think I would spend at least 20€ on a tube upgrade on the Xduoo one, so almost the same price. The EF400, even with Hifiman fixing the phase issues, struggles with the lack of inputs which is dumb in my opinion.

Now I do understand that the EF400s DAC-section should be the top performer of the two, but overall I hear the entire unit can be a bit on the bright side. I'd like to try and tame the HE1k Stealth's top end a tad bit, and figured the TA-10R could be a contender, and should have enough juice too (2000mW @ 32ohm). Then again, I am already going to go with aftermarket Dekoni pads which should smooth out the treble and steady some midrange dips a little, so I don't know. (Note that using EQ will not be happening.)

Input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Additional info; I already own a balanced DAC, but it's an old (but great sounding) Parasound Zdac, but whatever I get will have to work with android devices without issues via USB, and I don't even know if that's possible with the Zdac yet (will hopefully get to try soon). Also the Zdac has some limitations on the USB side of things.

Edit: I may have the chance to buy a used Schiit Jotunheim 1 with the cheaper DAC option included, non multibit. Any opinions on this?
Sorry to hear about your illness friend-I hope when you say terminal that you still have a good few years left . The stealths are magnificent headphones and you will be lost in the music in hospital!! I own solid state amps as well as tube amps and these cans sing beautifully on both. I actually tried to buy a 2nd hand xduoo ta10r recently but seller wouldn’t accept PayPal. The successful buyer ended up trading a pair of headphones with me recently (yes small world) and he loves the ta10r. It’s a hybrid amp so plays well with low ohm planars like the stealths. I would actually go that route and be confident. People with the ef400 all seem to like it so it would be a good option too but I think tubes are just more fun (my expensive solid state only gets a look in as a reference to my otc tube amps)). And the ta10r looks great too. Xduoo make some excellent products. Enjoy the stealth journey!!!!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #13,655 of 14,701
A short comparison with the Utopia and Susvara would be nice. I think the best thing is to buy the hek stealth out of the three. After the XS this should be the logical way?Better soundstage and bass extension vs. Utopia and a more fun signature vs. the Susvara which is old, difficult to drive, round earcups, maybe a bit boring. Is that correct? So the Stealth is very cheap for its sound quality an it beats more expensive headphones in different aspects which are also important.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #13,656 of 14,701
A short comparison with the Utopia and Susvara would be nice. I think the best thing is to buy the hek stealth out of the three. After the XS this should be the logical way?Better soundstage and bass extension vs. Utopia and a more fun signature vs. the Susvara which is old, difficult to drive, round earcups, maybe a bit boring. Is that correct? So the Stealth is very cheap for its sound quality an it beats more expensive headphones in different aspects which are also important.
Basically you hit the nail on the head.

I have no experience with Utopia (Stellia, yes).

Way better soundstage on HEK Stealth than Susvara.
Better bass oomph and heft.
MUCH easier to drive.
My ears don't touch the ear cups at all, or bottom out and touch the driver. My ears are completely, 100% free of touching anything when I wear the HEK Stealth.
AND IT SURE AS HELL ISN'T BORING (like the Sus can feel sometimes).
HEK Stealth definitely has the wow factor which keeps me much more interested and engaged while listening.

I've had the Stealth for a couple of months driven by the GS-X Mini and I truly have forgotten how many times I've been brought to the point of tears listening to beautiful music.
Not ashamed to admit it. In fact, I see it as a testament to how much I enjoy listening to these damn headphones.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #13,657 of 14,701
I have demoed both utopia 22 and sus at addicted to audio in Melbourne recently, as well as lcd5, final d8000, caldera, dca stealth and a lot of estats. Wow-there are some awesome cans out there!!!!! But honestly, the hek stealths for me are 95% of most of these and probably the best value headphones on the market today. I loved every one of the above for different reasons but most are 3-4 times the price. I would never buy sus (despite enjoying it) as it would cost me extra $000,s to get it to sing……

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #13,661 of 14,701
You said: ...truly have forgotten how many times I've been brought to the point of tears listening to beautiful music.
Gotcha. Well, beauty is subjective. My idea of beautiful music might not be someone else's.
That being said, I listened to various recordings of Beethoven's symphonies numbers 3, 5 and 9.
Pretty much anything Chopin.
Various pieces by Bach, Schubert, Rachmaninoff.
And Hot For Teacher by Van Halen.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #13,664 of 14,701
Sorry to hear about your illness friend-I hope when you say terminal that you still have a good few years left . The stealths are magnificent headphones and you will be lost in the music in hospital!! I own solid state amps as well as tube amps and these cans sing beautifully on both. I actually tried to buy a 2nd hand xduoo ta10r recently but seller wouldn’t accept PayPal. The successful buyer ended up trading a pair of headphones with me recently (yes small world) and he loves the ta10r. It’s a hybrid amp so plays well with low ohm planars like the stealths. I would actually go that route and be confident. People with the ef400 all seem to like it so it would be a good option too but I think tubes are just more fun (my expensive solid state only gets a look in as a reference to my otc tube amps)). And the ta10r looks great too. Xduoo make some excellent products. Enjoy the stealth journey!!!!
Thank you, if I'm lucky I should still have 5-10 good-ish years left. It's not great to know in your 30s, but you play the cards you are handed - pity is not what I'm looking for, but I get that was not your point! Got to make the best of them. Some might call me dumb for putting my life savings into a pair of headphones and a DAC & amp when I'm barely hanging on financially, but it is the last thing that brings me true joy of my hobbies. I went from being I suppose outdoorsy type - fishing, hunting, kayaking, climbing, BJJ, and being a former combat diver & certified technical diver to not being able to do any of it at all, so music and especially headphones is my final happy place! I think people here will get what I'm saying.

I think I made the correct choice in purchasing the HEK Stealth when I read what people are saying here. Seems like exceptional value. I will make my amp & dac decision once I know what the shipping situation of my pair is, based on the availability of the EF400 open box, TA-10R, and 2nd hand offerings ofcourse. I think whatever I end up with, I should be pleased.

Still, any experiences or opinions on the Jotunheim 1 with the balanced, non-multibit DAC would be welcome in case the local seller offers me a good price.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #13,665 of 14,701
Thank you, if I'm lucky I should still have 5-10 good-ish years left. It's not great to know in your 30s, but you play the cards you are handed - pity is not what I'm looking for, but I get that was not your point! Got to make the best of them. Some might call me dumb for putting my life savings into a pair of headphones and a DAC & amp when I'm barely hanging on financially, but it is the last thing that brings me true joy of my hobbies. I went from being I suppose outdoorsy type - fishing, hunting, kayaking, climbing, BJJ, and being a former combat diver & certified technical diver to not being able to do any of it at all, so music and especially headphones is my final happy place! I think people here will get what I'm saying.

I think I made the correct choice in purchasing the HEK Stealth when I read what people are saying here. Seems like exceptional value. I will make my amp & dac decision once I know what the shipping situation of my pair is, based on the availability of the EF400 open box, TA-10R, and 2nd hand offerings ofcourse. I think whatever I end up with, I should be pleased.

Still, any experiences or opinions on the Jotunheim 1 with the balanced, non-multibit DAC would be welcome in case the local seller offers me a good price.
Yes you will indeed get a lot of pleasure from the stealths and a half decent dac/amp. Let us know what you end up with and how it’s music sounds through it all. Enjoy mate!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back