Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 13, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #13,261 of 14,653
Not the HE-6 4 or 6 screw? Stereophile included the HE-6 and HE-500 along with the HD-800, Stax 007, 009, LCD-2 in a review in 2011. It's always irked HE-6 fans that Inner Fidelity/Stereophile concluded that the HE-500 was the best of the bunch (outside of the then very expensive Stax 009). TAS also had a very flattering review of the HE-500 in 2011 - calling it world class. It seems like your take here on HFM history gives no or short shrift before the initial HEK release.

The Susvara is not round - it's oval. It's also a better headphone than any of the HEK's. The HEK's are more popular than the Susvara because of cost. None of the HEK's have bass impact under 60 Hz as good as the Susvara - although the new Stealth is close. Maybe when you heard the Susvara, the amp didn't have enough power? I bring that up because nobody I know says the same thing. None of the new "long cup" HFM cans have bass impact or timbre near that of the HE-6 6 screw, nor even of the HE-6 SE, although not by nearly as much.

IMO, and that of others, the harman tuning as promoted is not neutral. It reflects the bias of bass heads under 100 Hz, and it's too bright in the upper mids/low treble. it also promotes the idea that FR is the only important target. Nothing about bass Q, damping or lack of damping of the cup and headband, issues of resonance tuning in closed backs (and open as well, just not as extreme), rise time, or ability to stop moving.

That's debatable. Fostex, Audeze, and other brands do not follow this path you are suggesting.

Disagree. I guess you never heard the Audeze LCD-4, released in 2015. None of the HFM's outside of the HE-6 6 screw has bass like that. The original HE-1000 doesn't have bass slam anywhere near the Audeze LCD-2/3/4, or even the HE-6 SE. Then there is the Abyss Phi released in 2017.

The HE-1000 v2 is 90 db efficient according to several reviewers. 83 db is low, no question.

The Edition X (2015) was the first headphone HFM released after the initial HEK design (2016). The Susvara, Ananda, Arya followed.

So in your version of the world - Democratic == wrong/fun/colored. We clearly inhabit very different places. I'm sure your tastes are in the majority, but that is an impediment to reality for me.

The HE-6 SE was released in 2018, and from where I sit, is better than any of the first two Ananda's, XS, and first two Arya's, both HEX's. HFM continues to develop and release round cup planar headphones such as the 400, Sundara (both w/ Stealth versions). Not to mention closed back headphones (dynamic and planar) which I have not heard.

No mention of the HE-6 SE? Haven't heard it, or does not match your theme? I've never had a Quality issue w/my 9 HFM cans, but I have found the pads, cables (only theirs not Audeze/DCA etc.), rear screens, headbands to be not nearly as impressive as the drivers. That is too bad.

The HEK Stealth is a better "rock" headphone than the other HEK's and at $1399 certainly represents an excellent deal.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I respect your position on all points, and I’ll revisit any possible errors I might have made in chronology. Of course I’m well-aware of the HE-6 (with and without mods), other HFM lineups and intercurrent Audeze releases that were released but omitted from my narrative—however I was making an argument for Hifiman’s oval pad (HEK) lineup specifically (one that is indeed distinct from the Susvara, which I owned for a couple of years), and I struggled enough with length as it was. I do think that our disagreements are at least in part a matter of taste/preference, but I’m a huge fan of spirited and friendly participation in these sorts of debates, so your rejoinder is welcomed and appreciated! Peace… Steve

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #13,262 of 14,653
Thank you for the thoughtful response! I actually find the two completely different, and there is a historical precedence for this—if you’ll bear with me as I offer my take on Hifiman’s fascinating and storied history:

Hifiman is an audio design/manufacturing company that is certainly distinguished by their innovation, with an ambitious, visionary and unusually humble PhD in nanotechnology at their helm in Dr. Fang Bien. In 2016, the Susvara was Hifiman’s first ultra-premium presentation of the planar magnetic technology they had been perfecting since they launched, in 2009. Audeze actually pioneered this new audiophile segment in 2008, and got some notice for their original LCD-2 in 2009; prior to that planar magnetics were primarily cheap alternatives to dynamic drivers, sold most notably by Fostex, and at that point they were ignored almost entirely by the audiophile set.

This is somewhat paradoxical, since planars were eventually recognized as a practical, portable and far less costly alternative to electrostatics, which had been the audiophile gold standard for years. Liberating the magnet from the diaphragm, without the burden of a costly energizer and dust-susceptible internal elements offered a way to make that diaphragm move with extraordinary speed and precision, with linear impedance across all frequencies—a technological breakthrough that should have been an audiophile’s dream from the beginning. But at the time this was a highly conservative, dogmatic consumer base that was tightly attached to their ways, for whom change was welcomed parsimoniously.

But the Susvara wasn’t Hifiman’s first flagship; that was the original HE1000, which debuted a year earlier in 2015. It was truly an astonishing achievement, and it was really the first planar that made actual waves (so to speak) amongst the classist, highbrow audiophile purists (think Stereophile). Somewhat strangely, HFM dropped the Susvara only a matter of months after the HE1000, just as it was gaining steam—and rightly or wrongly the Susvara completely eclipsed it (I would argue primarily due to its outlandish price tag as much as anything, which was without question a gesture of oneupmanship over Focal’s Utopia, released a few months earlier at a then-shocking asking price of $4,400. Those two cans established the $5,000-ish TOTL price point standard that we are still suffering with today).

Both the Susvara and the HE1000 offered their own signature innovations that have both since defined Hifiman’s brand to this day—the HE1000 with its peerless oval pad design, asymmetric magnets, nanothin diaphragm and window shade grilles; the Susvara with a round incarnation of those technological advances but now with its celebrated Stealth magnet. Since at the time the audiophile community was still overwhelmingly dominated by classical music enthusiasts and similar “tastemakers”, the Susvara, with its ultra-conservative, round driver design and “reference” (flat) tuning (and $5,999 price tag) was the one that met Stereophile’s seal of approval, and secured the reputation as the “best”. The HE1000, with its far more rock-friendly tuning and avant garde, oval pad design (which eventually prevailed as the far superior and infinitely more popular one of the two) got relegated to the “nice try” category instead.

But then Harman released their final two compelling revisions in 2018 and 2019, and slowly (agonizingly slowly) started to be taken seriously for its intended purpose—to define a true industry tuning standard to supplant the prior Wild West tuning anarchy, that had built an endless list of PEQ databases to aid folks in tweaking their headphone collections to suit their listening preferences. In other words, it began to create a standard where one previously did not exist.

And Hifiman, being the innovators they are, were one of the first brands to catch on to this idea that the audiophile market was diversifying—that along with the aging purists, there were also legions of young folks brought up on rock and roll, hip hop and other modern genres who cared about premium sound quality options too—and the music industry was responding as well by releasing more and more hi res digital masters of those genres, along with a burgeoning array of increasingly accessible gear coming to market that could play them. Not just in wood-paneled home libraries and cigar lounges, but on computer desktops, in playrooms and on nightstands. Some were even portable.

To put Hifiman’s innovative spirit in perspective, there are still stalwart brands that remain completely oblivious to this trend to this day—consider how Focal or Sennheiser keeps boasting about the impeccable art pieces they keep cranking out, all with logarithmic bass rolloffs that start diving around 80hz, making any enjoyment of rock music impossible without gobs of PEQ. Now let’s revisit that original HE1000, which a year before the Susvara was offering respectable bass slam and physicality when the contemporary, gentile audiophile standard-bearers still scoffed at the mere concept of those terms.

So in 2017, HFM let the Susvara rest on its old school laurels, and totally redirected their focus on that powerful oval driver. In 2017 they launched the HE1000V2, with a sensitivity of 90 compared with the Susvara’s positively impossible 83, and with an even more genre-versatile tuning—an achievement so remarkable that it still sits comfortably at number three on Crinacle’s all-time ranking to this day. Despite the Susvara’s success, HFM recognized the enormous capital it had with that HEK design—one with peerless comfort, fit, imaging and forgiveness of head placement—to become their iconic signature.

So in 2018, along with debuting the oval pad Arya, Ananda and Edition X at lower price points, they attempted to combine all of their signature achievements into a single flagship, with the HE1000se. This one had it all—the oval design, the nanothin diaphragm, the asymmetric magnets, the window shade grilles, PLUS the Susvara’s stealth magnet and an anything-can-drive-it sensitivity of 96. They weren’t quite ready to stir up the stuffy audiophile standard bearers and call it their newest TOTL flagship—they priced it a bit more modestly at $3,500, and didn’t give it a definitive category at all.

But in so many ways it was such an advance over the Susvara—there are some that call it “95% of the Susvara” but that’s nonsense—it’s every bit as resolving as the Susvara, yet this time they managed to make that Stealth magnet move the diaphragm far more efficiently (efficient enough to run off a portable). Its only other difference is its more V-shaped tuning, and perhaps a tad narrower soundstage—but certainly not by much. I say none of this with any intended disrespect towards Susvara fans; my point is that both the Susvara and the HEKse are extraordinary achievements—it’s just that the Susvara is an optimal choice for the niche that prefers reference tuning, while the HEKse is the more democratic of the two.

The HEKse was versatile enough to work wonders for any genre of music, and it was as astonishing as anything else that yet come to the audiophile market, but it also revealed one of the weaknesses of the Stealth magnet that has only recently been solved in recent releases—namely the way it opens up frequency ranges from 10,000 hz and above, which brilliantly augments detail and clarity, but can cause some to find it fatiguing on certain tracks, especially when the bass isn’t tuned up a bit to compensate for the extra brightness.

It received a fair amount of praise and continues to sell well, but in subsequent years, Hifiman put aside work on these two flagships and set about instead adding refinements and additions to their lower price tier models—all oval pad designs—and the majority of those refinements were about moving closer and closer to Harman tuning, and retrofitting the Edition X, Arya, and Ananda with their design innovations that had proved the most successful.

Most recently, they’ve updated all three to include the Stealth magnet, which was clearly a signature asset for their brand, and by last year they had established a proper unified line of models with consistent features, at different price points—the Edition XS—>Ananda Stealth—>Arya Stealth—>their existing flagships. In the midst of this they added a very misunderstood closed back oval option with reference tuning, that was specifically designed and marketed towards recording professionals—namely the Audivina. It proved a disappointment for those seeking the ultimate rock and roll headphone, who hoped the closed back design would even further emphasize the bass response and offer noise isolation, but that just wasn’t the market Hifiman had in mind when they designed it.

This flurry of releases might have led some to perceive Hifiman as unfocused, and might have bred some resentments among folks who had just bought an Arya incarnation only to find a new model released less than a year later—but I don’t see it that way. They’ve always been transparent about their willingness to allow their customers to trade up any lower priced model for a newer one, for only a portion of the list price difference, and I see this evolution in their product line as progressive and purposeful—they were continuing to innovate new technological advances, listening attentively to consumer feedback, and updating their entire product line with those features that worked.

So where are they now? Most recently, they’ve settled on a suite of successful features that are stock options in all products across an array of price points—the Stealth magnet, the asymmetric pads, the nanothin diaphragm and the window shade grilles have now become their signature feature set that is proprietary and unique to their brand. This is just savvy product differentiation, and I know of no other headphone manufacturer that has distinguished themselves with innovations to the degree that Hifiman has.

Most recently, over the last several months they’ve quietly modernized (and I would say, perfected) their entire oval pad line with the release of the HE1000 Stealth, Arya Organic, and Ananda Nano (only the Edition XS, arguably the finest headphone under $500, has remained unchanged). All of these feature considerable aesthetic improvements, and substantially improved QC (which has been their one salient flaw to receive near-universal criticism for years), and there’s an option for those on just about any budget (the Sundara is still going strong for the average consumer seeking better than usual sound quality, but I don’t really consider it an “audiophile” product).

Most importantly, with these three releases they’ve edged even closer to Harman, by kicking up the bass shelf across the board—to join Dan Clark in being perhaps the only other major high end audiophile headphone manufacturer to offer a pleasing, versatile, and rock-friendly tuning right out of the box. Except that Hifiman offers it at a fraction of the cost, and with far greater sensitivity.

This entire evolution of their brand tells a compelling story, at least to me. And I think it’s worth mentioning that their price points are now unusually honest and fair, and in my view representative of the ultimate sign of technological progress—with the passage of time, it becomes less and less costly to mass produce the high R&D innovations of the past.

Finally, it is clear that there is one remaining step to this journey, that based on recent moves (moving the HE1000V2 to legacy status, slashing the flagship HE1000se price by $1,500, and dropping the Susvara from Amazon, their largest consumer storefront) seems imminent—and that is an upcoming refresh of their flagship model(s). Having the HEKse now available for $1,999 is certainly a tempting option at the moment—it is still one of their most remarkable achievements in my view, and one of my end game headphones I own (although I’m listening to my HEK Stealth, with its thrilling bass slam and slightly less fatigue, almost exclusively these days).

But I would counsel anyone with that amount of cash to spare to consider holding out just a little while longer. Because if there is any validity to my characterization of Hifiman’s past modus operandi, I am very inclined to anticipate the release of a new, game changing flagship in the near future—a headphone that includes all of the assets I’ve mentioned above, but even more aligned with Harman, and that just might introduce a new innovation none of us have ever seen.

We shall see! :wink:

—Steve
Bloody good read Steve-loved it!!!! Thanks.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #13,264 of 14,653
Amazing write-up srkbear.

I went from he1000 to he1000v2 to he1000se. Utilizing hifiman upgrade program. Only Hp manufacturer I know of that lets their customers do that. Hifiman is the one manufacturer I order exclusively from their website. Most of my cans are pre-owned. With hifiman I order exclusive from them, want to support hifiman, and how they do business / treat their customers. With the recent price drops, I ordered a he1000v2 refurb, it was like brand new condition, with original 3 year warranty 1209 out the door. Thats better then preowned prices, and this comes with a 3 year warranty. I've dealt with them numerous times and they are amazing, the trade in process was fast and effortless.

I haven't heard the new he1000 stealth, but from my past, going to a ananda stealth, trying the arya stealth, I realize personally, I don't care for their stealth cans. They are too bright for me. I have a bunch of amp/dacs, with the stealths I would stick to my tube amp. If I used even my r2r dac, it was fatiguing, hurt my ears with certain songs, and would find myself turning the volume down. The he1000se doesn't do that. Its perfect to me. Its bright, but not fatiquing. I can use it on any of my dac/amps and listen for hrs.

I agree with you. Thats the main reason, I haven't purchased a susvara yet, I feel a susvara v2 is around the corner. Hifiman pretty much revised every single hp, so they are saving the best for last. My gut feeling is to wait for a upcoming new flagship. Then I can get a refurb susvara for cheaper then their current 3799.

In the end we all win, I don't know any other hp company, that has this many tunings in the same hp lines. Hifiman has your sound preference in one of their hp.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #13,265 of 14,653
My humble take is if the ultimate headphone needs to be power hungry with the current state of technology let it be, if they managed to optimize it with zero compromize well and good, but I will also suggest something between HekSE and Susvara, maybe same power requirement as the OG V2 or bit more, which I am sure most folks here has the chain to drive, the thing with Susvara is only a handlful of amps are known to work well with it anything else you get a subpar experience.

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #13,266 of 14,653
My humble take is if the ultimate headphone needs to be power hungry with the current state of technology let it be, if they managed to optimize it with zero compromize well and good, but I will also suggest something between HekSE and Susvara, maybe same power requirement as the OG V2 or bit more, which I am sure most folks here has the chain to drive, the thing with Susvara is only a handlful of amps are known to work well with it anything else you get a subpar experience.
I tried the susvara last year on a poor chain and was not impressed. I tried it on the Burson soloist gt last week at an audio shop and thought it sounded fantastic! I also tried utopia 22, lcd-5 and Final d8000 and all sounded bloody good and i’d be happy with any in my stable if I had the cash. I AB’d them all against my hek stealths and my only conclusion was that my stealths are freaking amazing for the price!!!!! I won’t be chasing any other open backs anytime soon.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #13,267 of 14,653
I tried the susvara last year on a poor chain and was not impressed. I tried it on the Burson soloist gt last week at an audio shop and thought it sounded fantastic! I also tried utopia 22, lcd-5 and Final d8000 and all sounded bloody good and i’d be happy with smy I’m my stable if I had the cash. I AB’d them all against my hek stealths and my only conclusion was that my stealths are freaking amazing for the price!!!!! I won’t be chasing any other open backs anytime soon.
That is exactly my view—the HEK Stealth, just like the Edition XS at an even more affordable price point, is a in a class of its own as an audiophile-grade headphone option with TOTL, flagship performance at an accessible price. I own 2020 Utopias, Meze Elites, Sony Z1Rs and an HEKse, and if I had to take the HEK Stealth to a desert island, I wouldn’t feel deprived of a thing.

I wasn’t expecting Hifiman to seize upon this market segment, but their latest price sheet is an extraordinary lineup of options that even high schoolers could potentially get their hands on—what I would have given when I was sixteen in the eighties to get an Edition XS and an iFi Go Bar on my birthday! GOD.

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #13,268 of 14,653
The Susvara is not round - it's oval. It's also a better headphone than any of the HEK's. The HEK's are more popular than the Susvara because of cost.
Purely subjective to which headphone is "better". I'd say they're different. I owed both the Susvara and V2 at the same time, along with the Utopia and sincerely enjoyed the V2 and Utopia more. I also feel that stating "The HEK's are more popular than the Susvara because of cost" is definitely uncalled for. There are plenty of members here that can easily afford the Susvara if they wish and don't own it.

There are many headphones that cost less than the Susvara that don't need the time and effort to hear them perform at their fullest potential, and I believe this is a negative for the Susvara to a lot of people. And yes, I've heard the Susvara reach its fullest potential and no doubt it's an excellent headphone, but I feel the same about my V2 and Utopia and didn't need to go through numerous DACs and amps to get either to perform to their fullest potential. I've been enjoying both, the V2 and Utopia for 5+yrs now (without issue) on the same gear, although I have tried a different amp and DAC at some points, but have always come back to my initial gear.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #13,269 of 14,653
Purely subjective to which headphone is "better". I'd say they're different. I owed both the Susvara and V2 at the same time, along with the Utopia and sincerely enjoyed the V2 and Utopia more. I also feel that stating "The HEK's are more popular than the Susvara because of cost" is definitely uncalled for. There are plenty of members here that can easily afford the Susvara if they wish and don't own it.
I can only speak for myself and sometimes a few others. If I can't offer an opinion as you just did what are we doing here? Hearing is subjective, so is wine tasting. Yet there are ways to educate the senses. Because my taste is different, does it mean I have to defend it?

I don't like the OG Utopia myself, and i do like the v2 a lot (alhough it does have a way of making intimate recordings sound big).

There are many headphones that cost less than the Susvara that don't need the time and effort to hear them perform at their fullest potential, and I believe this is a negative for the Susvara to a lot of people. And yes, I've heard the Susvara reach its fullest potential and no doubt it's an excellent headphone, but I feel the same about my V2 and Utopia and didn't need to go through numerous DACs and amps to get either to perform to their fullest potential. I've been enjoying both, the V2 and Utopia for 5+yrs now (without issue) on the same gear, although I have tried a different amp and DAC at some points, but have always come back to my initial gear.
Susvara is well over priced. Unless I was a multi-millionaire I would not pay list price for one. With the HEK Stealth at $1399 not sure I would pay $2500 for it.

Facts are a different matter.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #13,270 of 14,653
I don't like the OG Utopia myself, and i do like the v2 a lot (alhough it does have a way of making intimate
Now hold on a sec on this one—I own the 2020 Utopia and checked out the 2022 for several weeks. The only definitive difference between the two—and the source of my rancor—is that the 2022 model resolves the driver failure issues that plagued the OG models, along with some minor aesthetic changes. Otherwise they are functionally the same. If you look at the dealer tear sheets Focal sent out they say exactly as much—this 2022 version offers a more reliable Utopia, not a better one.

Their tunings and performance are minimally changed, if at all—which is why I was quite turned off of the brand that they charged an extra $600 for a product that solved a problem they should have offered existing owners for free. The reputation that the 2022 model was an improvement was all based on marketing hype and manipulation—see the attached FRC comparison for evidence of this.

IMG_0192.jpeg

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #13,271 of 14,653
Thank you for the thoughtful response! I actually find the two completely different, and there is a historical precedent for this—if you’ll bear with me as I offer my take on Hifiman’s fascinating and storied history:

Hifiman is an audio design/manufacturing company that is certainly distinguished by their innovation, with an ambitious, visionary and unusually humble PhD in nanotechnology at their helm in Dr. Fang Bien. In 2016, the Susvara was Hifiman’s first ultra-premium presentation of the planar magnetic technology they had been perfecting since they launched, in 2009. Audeze actually pioneered this new audiophile segment in 2008, and got some notice for their original LCD-2 in 2009; prior to that planar magnetics were primarily cheap alternatives to dynamic drivers, sold most notably by Fostex, and at that point they were ignored almost entirely by the audiophile set.

This is somewhat paradoxical, since planars were eventually recognized as a practical, portable and far less costly alternative to electrostatics, which had been the audiophile gold standard for years. Liberating the magnet from the diaphragm, without the burden of a costly energizer and dust-susceptible internal elements offered a way to make that diaphragm move with extraordinary speed and precision, with linear impedance across all frequencies—a technological breakthrough that should have been an audiophile’s dream from the beginning. But at the time this was a highly conservative, dogmatic consumer base that was tightly attached to their ways, for whom change was welcomed parsimoniously.

But the Susvara wasn’t Hifiman’s first flagship; that was the original HE1000, which debuted a year earlier in 2015. It was truly an astonishing achievement, and it was really the first planar that made actual waves (so to speak) amongst the classist, highbrow audiophile purists (think Stereophile). The original Edition X dropped less than a year later, as a mid-priced, lower impedance option that was arguably a predecessor to the Arya (the Edition X series was eventually repurposed as a TOTL budget option). Then, somewhat strangely, HFM dropped the Susvara, only a little over a year after the HE1000, just as it was gaining steam—and rightly or wrongly the Susvara completely eclipsed it (I would argue primarily due to its outlandish price tag as much as anything, which was without question a gesture of oneupmanship over Focal’s Utopia, released a few months earlier at a then-shocking asking price of $4,400. Those two cans established the $5,000-ish TOTL price point standard that we are still suffering with today).

Both the Susvara and the HE1000 offered their own signature innovations that have both since defined Hifiman’s brand to this day—the HE1000 with its peerless oval pad design, asymmetric magnets, nanothin diaphragm and window shade grilles; the Susvara with a round incarnation of those technological advances but now with its celebrated Stealth magnet. Since at the time the audiophile community was still overwhelmingly dominated by classical music enthusiasts and similar “tastemakers”, the Susvara, with its ultra-conservative, round driver design and “reference” (flat) tuning (and $5,999 price tag) was the one that met Stereophile’s seal of approval, and secured the reputation as the “best”. The HE1000, with its far more rock-friendly tuning and avant garde, oval pad design (which eventually prevailed as the far superior and infinitely more popular one of the two) got relegated to the “nice try” category instead.

But then Harman released their final two compelling revisions in 2018 and 2019, and slowly (agonizingly slowly) started to be taken seriously for its intended purpose—to define a true industry tuning standard to supplant the prior Wild West tuning anarchy, that had built an endless list of PEQ databases to aid folks in tweaking their headphone collections to suit their listening preferences. In other words, it began to create a standard where one previously did not exist.

And Hifiman, being the innovators they are, were one of the first brands to catch on to this idea that the audiophile market was diversifying—that along with the aging purists, there were also legions of young folks brought up on rock and roll, hip hop and other modern genres who cared about premium sound quality options too—and the music industry was responding as well by releasing more and more hi res digital masters of those genres, along with a burgeoning array of increasingly accessible gear coming to market that could play them. Not just in wood-paneled home libraries and cigar lounges, but on computer desktops, in playrooms and on nightstands. Some were even portable.

To put Hifiman’s innovative spirit in perspective, there are still stalwart brands that remain completely oblivious to this trend to this day—consider how Focal or Sennheiser continues to boast about the impeccable art pieces they keep cranking out, all with logarithmic bass rolloffs that start diving around 80hz, making any enjoyment of rock music impossible without gobs of PEQ. Now let’s revisit that original HE1000, which a year before the Susvara was offering respectable bass slam and physicality when the contemporary, gentile audiophile standard-bearers still scoffed at the mere concept of those terms.

So in 2017, HFM let the Susvara rest on its old school laurels, and totally redirected their focus on that powerful oval driver. In 2017 they launched the HE1000V2, with a sensitivity of 90 compared with the Susvara’s positively impossible 83, and with an even more genre-versatile tuning—an achievement so remarkable that it still sits comfortably at number three on Crinacle’s all-time ranking to this day. Despite the Susvara’s success, HFM recognized the enormous capital it had with that HEK design—one with peerless comfort, fit, imaging and forgiveness of head placement—to become their iconic signature.

So in 2018, along with debuting the oval pad Arya and Ananda to complement the Edition X v2 at lower price points, they attempted to combine all of their signature achievements into a single flagship, with the HE1000se. This one had it all—the oval design, the nanothin diaphragm, the asymmetric magnets, the window shade grilles, PLUS the Susvara’s stealth magnet and an anything-can-drive-it sensitivity of 96. They weren’t quite ready to stir up the stuffy audiophile standard bearers and call it their newest TOTL flagship—they priced it a bit more modestly at $3,500, and didn’t give it a definitive category at all.

But in so many ways it was such an advance over the Susvara—there are some that call it “95% of the Susvara” but that’s nonsense—it’s every bit as resolving as the Susvara, yet this time they managed to make that Stealth magnet move the diaphragm far more efficiently (efficient enough to run off a portable). Its only other difference is its more V-shaped tuning, and perhaps a tad narrower soundstage—but certainly not by much. I say none of this with any intended disrespect towards Susvara fans; my point is that both the Susvara and the HEKse are extraordinary achievements—it’s just that the Susvara is an optimal choice for the niche that prefers reference tuning, while the HEKse is the more democratic of the two.

The HEKse was versatile enough to work wonders for any genre of music, and it was as astonishing as anything else that yet come to the audiophile market, but it also revealed one of the weaknesses of the Stealth magnet that has only recently been solved in recent releases—namely the way it opens up frequency ranges from 10,000 hz and above, which brilliantly augments detail and clarity, but can cause some to find it fatiguing on certain tracks, especially when the bass isn’t tuned up a bit to compensate for the extra brightness.

It received a fair amount of praise and continues to sell well, but in subsequent years, Hifiman put aside work on these two flagships and set about instead adding refinements and additions to their lower price tier models—all oval pad designs—and the majority of those refinements were about moving closer and closer to Harman tuning, and retrofitting the Edition X, Arya, and Ananda with their design innovations that had proved the most successful.

Most recently, they’ve updated all three to include the Stealth magnet, which was clearly a signature asset for their brand, and by last year they had established a proper unified line of models with consistent features, at different price points—the Edition XS—>Ananda Stealth—>Arya Stealth—>their existing flagships. In the midst of this they added a very misunderstood closed back oval option with reference tuning, that was specifically designed and marketed towards recording professionals—namely the Audivina. It proved a disappointment for those seeking the ultimate rock and roll headphone, who hoped the closed back design would even further emphasize the bass response and offer noise isolation, but that just wasn’t the market Hifiman had in mind when they designed it.

This flurry of releases might have led some to perceive Hifiman as unfocused, and might have bred some resentments among folks who had just bought an Arya incarnation only to find a new model released less than a year later—but I don’t see it that way. They’ve always been transparent about their willingness to allow their customers to trade up any lower priced model for a newer one, for only a portion of the list price difference, and I see this evolution in their product line as progressive and purposeful—they were continuing to innovate new technological advances, listening attentively to consumer feedback, and updating their entire product line with those features that worked.

So where are they now? Most recently, they’ve settled on a suite of successful features that are stock options in all products across an array of price points—the Stealth magnet, the asymmetric pads, the nanothin diaphragm and the window shade grilles have now become their signature feature set that is proprietary and unique to their brand. This is just savvy product differentiation, and I know of no other headphone manufacturer that has distinguished themselves with innovations to the degree that Hifiman has.

Most recently, over the last several months they’ve quietly modernized (and I would say, perfected) their entire oval pad line with the release of the HE1000 Stealth, Arya Organic, and Ananda Nano (the Edition XS, arguably the finest headphone under $500, dropped on New Year’s Eve 2021 and arguably marked the beginning of their contemporary design strategy). All of these feature considerable aesthetic improvements, and substantially improved QC (which has been their one salient flaw to receive near-universal criticism for years), and there’s an option for those on just about any budget (the Sundara is still going strong for the average consumer seeking better than usual sound quality, but I don’t really consider it an “audiophile” product).

Most importantly, with these three releases they’ve edged even closer to Harman, by kicking up the bass shelf across the board—to join Dan Clark in being perhaps the only other major high end audiophile headphone manufacturer to offer a pleasing, versatile, and rock-friendly tuning right out of the box. Except that Hifiman offers it at a fraction of the cost, and with far greater sensitivity.

This entire evolution of their brand tells a compelling story, at least to me. And I think it’s worth mentioning that their price points are now unusually honest and fair, and in my view representative of the ultimate sign of technological progress—with the passage of time, it becomes less and less costly to mass produce the expensive R&D innovations of the past.

Finally, it is clear that there is one remaining step to this journey, that based on recent moves (moving the HE1000V2 to legacy status, slashing the flagship HE1000se price by $1,500, and dropping the Susvara from Amazon, their largest consumer storefront) seems imminent—and that is an upcoming refresh of their flagship model(s). Having the HEKse now available for $1,999 is certainly a tempting option at the moment—it is still one of their most remarkable achievements in my view, and one of my end game headphones I own (although I’m listening to my HEK Stealth, with its thrilling bass slam and slightly less fatigue, almost exclusively these days).

But I would counsel anyone with that amount of cash to spare to consider holding out just a little while longer. Because if there is any validity to my characterization of Hifiman’s past modus operandi, I am very inclined to anticipate the release of a new, game changing flagship in the near future—a headphone that includes all of the assets I’ve mentioned above, but even more aligned with Harman, and that just might introduce a new innovation none of us have ever seen.

We shall see! :wink:

—Steve
What a fabulous post. Thanks for taking the time. Great read

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #13,272 of 14,653
Hello,

From time to time I look at the novelties in the field of headphones.
Yesterday I saw the price drop on the HE1000 series and now the HE1000 v2 stealth and SE seems very good priced.

A brief history on my headphone journey

Ten years ago I tested and owned a lot of headphones : SR007MKI, SR009, JPS Abyss, HE6, HE500, HD800.
The SR007MKI was my preferred heaphone but one of driver failed and I ended up to sell at the half of his value.

I stopped to buy expensive gear and bought an used HD650 in 2015.
I like a lot this headphone especially the medium but it has some defaults : lack of bass and sound a little congested.

With the recent price drop I don't know if I have to go to the V2 or V2 Stealth or even the SE ?

From what I read the V2 stealth is more tuned to the harman curve and less fatiguing than the SE
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-he1000-stealth-open-back-headphones/4.html

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #13,273 of 14,653
If you like a lot the hd650 you might be a tad safer with the hekstealths..not that i consider them similar, but then the hekstealths are more then the hekse ( more mids , more midbass )

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #13,274 of 14,653
Do you mean that most amps in the market are unable to drive the Susvara lack power or quality or both?

When the HE-6 debuted (some 4 screw HE-6 were measured at 79 db) it started a trickle, then a stampede of desktop amps capable of driving it, which there were literally none in 2011. Quality of course is a different issue depending on taste.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #13,275 of 14,653
Now hold on a sec on this one—I own the 2020 Utopia and checked out the 2022 for several weeks.
I have never heard the '22, but found a FR chart that showed it was more different from the OG than the one you supply below. I was addressing the sound of the OG, which was impressive in a number of ways (not in bass under 70 Hz.) but in the setting I heard it in (Bryston BHA-1) had a very difficult mid treble (for me).

I just took a quick look and didn't find the FR chart I saw, will look more carefully later today.
The only definitive difference between the two—and the source of my rancor—is that the 2022 model resolves the driver failure issues that plagued the OG models, along with some minor aesthetic changes. Otherwise they are functionally the same. If you look at the dealer tear sheets Focal sent out they say exactly as much—this 2022 version offers a more reliable Utopia, not a better one.

Their tunings and performance are minimally changed, if at all—which is why I was quite turned off of the brand that they charged an extra $600 for a product that solved a problem they should have offered existing owners for free. The reputation that the 2022 model was an improvement was all based on marketing hype and manipulation—see the attached FRC comparison for evidence of this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back