Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 9, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #12,301 of 14,709
Now that you mentioned this, the SE supposedly using V2 driver with Stealth Magnets. But could it be that V2 Stealth is just a tuned Arya driver? I remembered someone mentioned this in a couple hundred pages ago. Makes me wonder.
I've also had that thought!

He1000 series was "stealthified" way before everything else was, right? (other than the Susvara of course)

My (very speculative) suspicion is if the he1000stealth and he1000SE really are the same driver (with the same magnets?) they have really gone to town with tuning to change things up enough so they can still charge an extra $1500usd for the SE.

I'm certainly not an acoustic engineer but i wonder how much acoustic dampening/tuning etc can actually change the sound of a given driver, they really don't sound that similar.

Or maybe they actually are different drivers or different magnets or something.

I wonder if there will be an he1000se Stealth version :)

Either way I think the audiophiles need a new buzzword lol.

May 9, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #12,302 of 14,709

He1000 series was "stealthified" way before everything else was, right? (other than the Susvara of course)

My (very speculative) suspicion is if the he1000stealth and he1000SE really are the same driver (with the same magnets?) they have really gone to town with tuning to change things up enough so they can still charge an extra $1500usd for the SE.

I'm certainly not an acoustic engineer but i wonder how much acoustic dampening/tuning etc can actually change the sound of a given driver, they really don't sound that similar.

The HEKSE has the stealth magnets already incorporated. The SE and V2 Stealth have different magnet array from what I understand.

May 9, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #12,303 of 14,709

HEKse have different drivers from the HEK V2. The HEK V2 Stealth is using the same drivers as the original HEK V2's but with added stealth magnets. The HEKse when announced had stealth magnet already incorporated, but with newer, more efficient drivers that were different from the HEK V2's.

May 9, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #12,304 of 14,709
Comparison between the HE1000 V2 Stealth and the HE1000SE

May 9, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #12,308 of 14,709
Found a relatively new review of the he1000v2 vs 1000 v2 stealth and 1000 SE.

May 11, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #12,310 of 14,709
After a long decision, I think I'll skip on the V2. I'll either be getting the Utopia, HEKSE, or the Verite. Thanks everyone for the help.
Scratch that. The more I demoed it, the more I fell in love with the V2. The HEKSE is definitely the more superior in terms of technicality. But the V2 has its own warmness and charm to it. My right ear is very sensitive to treble unfortunately. For this reason I've pulled the trigger in the V2OG with Warranty, for 1450 euro from a fellow head fier. Can't wait to test them out!!

May 11, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #12,311 of 14,709
Scratch that. The more I demoed it, the more I fell in love with the V2. The HEKSE is definitely the more superior in terms of technicality. But the V2 has its own warmness and charm to it. My right ear is very sensitive to treble unfortunately. For this reason I've pulled the trigger in the V2OG with Warranty, for 1450 euro from a fellow head fier. Can't wait to test them out!!
Interesting, I've not had the opportunity to demo the og v2, please let us know how you find it!

May 11, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #12,312 of 14,709
Interesting, I've not had the opportunity to demo the og v2, please let us know how you find it!
I'll write a more in depth write up once I got them! I've demoed them in store but never got the chance to actually sit down and listen to it for long.

May 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #12,313 of 14,709
I started going down the audio rabbit hole last year with the Edition XS. Traded those in toward an Arya Stealth and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Within 3 months of owning the Arya the drivers failed. Took that as an opportunity to trade up for the new he1000v2 stealth. I didn't notice an upgrade at all. I guess they are brighter. But I didn't notice any improvement in technicalities. Might not be worth it to make the jump. But then again I'm still new to audio. I did just receive a pair of Focal Clear OG and those immediately sounded different and better than the hifiman so I thought about returning the he1000v2 but I missed the window. Decided I will prolly keep them, but I definitely just sprung for a 2020 Utopia to compliment them.

May 11, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #12,314 of 14,709
I've had V2 Stealth for several weeks now, I think I have a good initial impression. In brief, they are very, very good. Build quality is superb, cables are actually good. Sound is clean, neutral and detailed, vocals are forward and pronounced, everything has a just so character. Imaging and soundstage are great though not extremely expansive. Dynamics are strong and punchy, I'm surprised, I wouldn't say it's hard hitting nor laid back, but right in the middle. Just a tad bright in treble but nothing offensive, if anything it might be more of a mid recession that I'm hearing, but otherwise mostly neutral.

What I can't do is compare them to non stealth version or SE as I've never tried them. But the stealth version has my recommendation.

May 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #12,315 of 14,709
I started going down the audio rabbit hole last year with the Edition XS. Traded those in toward an Arya Stealth and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Within 3 months of owning the Arya the drivers failed. Took that as an opportunity to trade up for the new he1000v2 stealth. I didn't notice an upgrade at all. I guess they are brighter. But I didn't notice any improvement in technicalities. Might not be worth it to make the jump. But then again I'm still new to audio. I did just receive a pair of Focal Clear OG and those immediately sounded different and better than the hifiman so I thought about returning the he1000v2 but I missed the window. Decided I will prolly keep them, but I definitely just sprung for a 2020 Utopia to compliment them.
I somewhat agree with your impression. V2stealth feels more like a side grade. I got to tried it recently, yes it has great dynamics but its as the sacrifice of soundstage and the usual hifiman presentation. Its pretty dynamic for a planar, but its nowhere close to the focals. So if you really looking for dynamics which from the sounds of it, you are, definitely go with the focal lineup! :D V2stealth is good, but I don't see the point of owning it, if you already own the clears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back