Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 20, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #12,166 of 14,653
Is the HE1000 v2 still worth it in 2023? Thanks
For me yes. Although the stealth magnet version does improve the technical performance over the original, what you give up isn't worth to me. The HE1000 V2 has a sweeter tone, it's more spacious, holographic, and airy sounding. Not to mention, the HE1000 V2 is fuller sounding with more body and the bass is more encompassing. I really like it and it performs differently enough from my HE1000se's, which the HE1000 V2 Stealth's gets close to.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #12,167 of 14,653
i gave away the v2stealth as i found myself much more akin to the he1000se presentation.
hot mids + narrower close stage + spherical /proximity soundstage = not for me.

I have the hev2 on my way too now.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #12,171 of 14,653
i gave away the v2stealth as i found myself much more akin to the he1000se presentation.
hot mids + narrower close stage + spherical /proximity soundstage = not for me.

I have the hev2 on my way too now.
What amp do you pair your Hev2kstealth when you had it?

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #12,172 of 14,653
-bass is tighter , leaner and cleaner with he1000se , it is better controlled and feels a little better tuned , drier .
bass is wetter and penetrating the ambient and dimensions at times with he1000v2stealth , it rarely happens with he1000se , bass is very precise and defined in its space . Reaches a bit deeper with he1000se too .

-music is more a 3d envelope with he1000v2stealth , a bubbled universe that wants to grab all your attention "hey I started and I will draw emotions and colors in you " with this or that , in its well defined articulate and expressive partiture
-with he1000se space feels more linear , an open field with lot of air up and different location in the field to look at for sounds and instruments , it invites you to measure distances and reverbs during the flow and to enjoy it - without being in awe for their expressions ; I wouldn't say it is worse , it is asking less attention .

-there's no dubt that guitars sound closer and more analogue and more alive with he1000v2stealth , where they're thinner and usually less expanded with their reverbs and distortions with he1000se ; the he1000V2stealth are warmer and more analoguish sounding then the he1000se, I must admit that drums timbre is usually better and voices are less hissing and sibilant with them ( eq can do something too but the timbre - at least with these instruments and seemingly for voices too is ultimately bit better with he1000V2stealth )

-the level of insights in the recording for both headphones is outstanding , I am picking up faults or mixing oversights I never noticed before , and it's been a time it did not happen.. made a short test and level of resolution seems very close not sure it is different between the two . probably not . I am waiting full burn in as for bass the he1000se seem to offer a better resolve ; for microdetails characterized by high frqs nuances : they're layering different , and tone is different , but that microdetails hard to hear and notice are equally present. although in different layers and timbres . will see and report better in this aspect with more listenings

-dynamics seems slightly better on he1000se . I need more time for this
-layering seems better on he1000se but it is a hit and miss depending on music kind , as it may be overkill for some genres and tracks where chirurgic layering throgh a bigger space is not needed. nevertheless I appreciate and dig this value , more then its absence ; there's definitely more sense of space and air with he1000se whereas there's more diffusion and less emptyness among instruments in the mix with he1000v2stealth

as I already said , the he1000se moves more in a land of classic reference through genres , excelling in some things : space , dimensions , measures and reference , speed , bass timbre and separation , feeling of air and open space sure she feels the more electrostatic' alike . Something tells me that scalability goes furher with them then with he1000v2stealth; the he1000v2stealth are a bit of a different beast really , they seem more tuned ( warmer ) , they sound more modern , engaging , more intimate many times , music sounds and whispers and talks closer and wetter ( at the expense of a narrower stage ? someone may say so depending on what he values more on his listening habits ) , also they want more attention too in their presentation and expression ( again , someone may say this is better .. someone other may say he feels better the other way , enjoying the ride without any added fatigue .. )

What amp are you driving them with?

burson soloist 3x
hifiman ef400
( Sony nw-wm1zm2 )

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #12,173 of 14,653
The v2stealth have more of it ; and more precise/contained soundstage : not vast .
I have just tried the v2 stealth and indeed fill the lack of bass I had felt from the non stealth version.
Deciding between the v2 stealth and the Camerton Binom ER which is the best I have ever tried for my taste. From another world, and another price ticket.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #12,174 of 14,653
Listened to both shortly with diff backend.....but from the quick impression is that these 2 as resolving and technical as they are, have opposite tunings. The he1000 stealth leans bright with tight bass (cayin ha-6a), the elite leans warm and midbassy and pleasant (ultrasonic oblivion). Totally different tuning, very hard to compare them. I prefer elite for vocal songs and i prefer the he1000 for instruments. I think these 2 will complement each other well.

Stage wise, i feel the elite have more depth of sound while the he1000 is really wide. Both have good soundstage, but felt the elite more natural in space rendition for my taste.

Both of these are very comfortable, the elite slightly more.
Agree. I own the Elite and pondeing if adding the v2 stealth or replacing the elite with the magnificent Camerton Binom ER which gets me covered for all my needs.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #12,175 of 14,653
I see. Well I could either get a used V2 or a new V2stealth where I'm living right now. I'm not too sure if getting a used Hifiman would be such a great idea. I demo-ed the SE before even though the technicalities are amazing, I found it to be a tad too bright for my personal taste. If PFS measurement was correct, the V2Stealth is supposed to be even more brighter. So I'm really having second thoughts haha.
If you’re still interested I have a mint HE1000V2 up for sale in the classifieds. I find them to be quite a bit warmer and more euphonic compared to the HE1000V2 Stealth.

I’d love to keep them but got an opportunity to buy a Final D8000 Pro and I jumped on that. I gotta get some money back so the HEKV2’s have to go.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #12,176 of 14,653
If you’re still interested I have a mint HE1000V2 up for sale in the classifieds. I find them to be quite a bit warmer and more euphonic compared to the HE1000V2 Stealth.
This is what I love about the HE1000 V2’s sound.
I’d love to keep them but got an opportunity to buy a Final D8000 Pro and I jumped on that. I gotta get some money back so the HEKV2’s have to go.
You’re going to enjoy the D8K Pro’s. They are a great complement to the Hifiman sound

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #12,177 of 14,653

I’d love to keep them but got an opportunity to buy a Final D8000 Pro and I jumped on that. I gotta get some money back so the HEKV2’s have to go
DM!

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #12,178 of 14,653
This is what I love about the HE1000 V2’s sound.

You’re going to enjoy the D8K Pro’s. They are a great complement to the Hifiman sound
For me yes. Although the stealth magnet version does improve the technical performance over the original, what you give up isn't worth to me. The HE1000 V2 has a sweeter tone, it's more spacious, holographic, and airy sounding. Not to mention, the HE1000 V2 is fuller sounding with more body and the bass is more encompassing. I really like it and it performs differently enough from my HE1000se's, which the HE1000 V2 Stealth's gets close to.
I fully agree with your assessment and wish I could keep them. I think the HE1000V2 tows the line perfectly with high level technical performance and full note weight musicality.

I thought the HE1000V2 Stealth got very close to the HE1000SE when I A/B’d them but the SE was way too spicy in the treble for me. Technicalities aside I think the HE1000SE is the brightest in all of HiFiMan’s lineup. The HEKV2 Stealth sounds like an in between of both the HEKV2 and the HEKSE.

If I could rank them for treble emphasis I’d probably go in this order:

HE1000SE
HE1000V2 Stealth
Arya Stealth
HE1000V2

In a comparison between the HEKV2 Stealth the HEKV2 has a much richer tonality and its timbre is lovely, especially in the mid range.

Having said that it’s quite a bit more amp picky than the Stealth and requires quite a bit more power. For my preferences, current source gear and use case I think the perfect price to performance within HiFiMan’s lineup is still the Arya Stealth. For me the Arya Stealth paired with the iFi Gryphon adds just enough warmth and note weight and the Gryphon drives them to perfection. I also think the Arya Stealth comes dangerously close to the HEKV2 for technical abilities but it’s just not as musical without a warmer leaning source pairing.

I’m sure at some stage in my journey through this hobby I’ll try to make my way back to the HE1000V2 but sacrifices had to be made for the D8000 Pro.

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #12,179 of 14,653
HE1000V2stealth very close to the HE1000se
Strange , after just seconds - not critical listening - I found them quite very different on many extents of their presentation (after 1 week i was clearly set on he1000se as kind of superior as for a different presentation and quite more reference grade then the v2stealth )

I will have the V2 soon

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #12,180 of 14,653
Strange , after just seconds - not critical listening - I found them quite very different on many extents of their presentation (after 1 week i was clearly set on he1000se as kind of superior as for a different presentation and quite more reference grade then the v2stealth )

I will have the V2 soon
We all hear things differently and that’s one of the things I love about the hobby. I’m very treble sensitive so I get thrown off really quickly when sibilance sets in. The HE1000SE to my ears is one of the brightest headphones I’ve ever heard. I just couldn’t get past it enough to evaluate for a longer period of time. I A/B’d for about two hours with a Susvara on the table as well and all three have different strengths and weaknesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back