Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #12,121 of 14,653
I think with all the money I’ve spent on my rig and the stuff I’ve sold off I could’ve just bought a used Susvara with a good, powerful amp to boot.
I don’t regret where I’m currently though. The HE1000 SE are truly singing with this set up.

6E0C8F0E-1FB3-4906-A17D-EEAF0101E552.jpeg
Trying out and listening to different gear is the best part of the journey. I can't think of a better way to find out what you like and don't like :).

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #12,122 of 14,653
Trying out and listening to different gear is the best part of the journey. I can't think of a better way to find out what you like and don't like :).
Agreed. Looking back though; I think I low key knew Hifiman was my favorite sound after owning the Sundara.
I could've saved some change. :k701smile:

Im still lost on components though. I haven't owned many but what I have doesn't really leave me feeling lacking much.

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #12,123 of 14,653
Agreed. Looking back though; I think I low key knew Hifiman was my favorite sound after owning the Sundara.
Nice, Hifiman is my favorite manufacturer as well. My collection is lopsided with Hifiman headphones. I have a set of HE-R10P's arheaded my way and I want to try the Audivina's. I just love the Hifiman sound after trying and owning so many other TOTL brands, Abyss, T+A, Stax to name a few.
Im still lost on components though. I haven't owned many but what I have doesn't really leave me feeling lacking much.
Now this is a tougher dilemma. As there are literally hundreds of different ways you can shape your ideal sound. I settled on Chord DAC's. As they fit my preferred sound signature and performance level. My amp journey was longer in the making. I'm finally happy with my Trafomatic Head 2, Cen.Grand 9i-906 'Silver Fox", and Meier Audio Corda Soul. I also have the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon V2, which is a phenomenal little amp. So keep listening......

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #12,124 of 14,653

If possible please do quick comparison of the he1000 vs the d8000 pro. Really interested in the d8k pro. Especially in soundstage between these 2

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #12,125 of 14,653
If possible please do quick comparison of the he1000 vs the d8000 pro. Really interested in the d8k pro. Especially in soundstage between these 2
I haven't spent enough time with the HE1000 SE yet to really make a comparison.

In terms of soundstage. The Hifiman takes it easily. Way larger.
The soundstage on the Finals is pretty average. Nothing that wraps around your head or imitates a concert hall but it isn't particularly small like my (now sold) Abyss Dianas.

The Final's speciality is the low end. The bass quality and quantity is great although the HE1000 SE is no slouch. The Final have better texture and more impact.

The mids and trebles are more forward and brighter in the Hifiman. I prefer that with certain genres but the Final's treble extend far enough where I don't feel like I'm missing too much detail. Though the differences are quite noticeable as is their bass frequencies presentation. The HE1000 SE sounds incredible with string and brass instruments.

These TOTL planars tend to achieve that "lifelike" timbre that Im looking for in my headphones. Something like my Hifiman Arya SE sounds more artificial by comparison but none the less enjoyable. Or perhaps that's just my bias due to the price differences :jecklinsmile:

Both of them are highly resolving. I swear the Final still have an edge over them. I was listening to some albums where I distinctly heard background vocals and dialogues in live recordings. But again the Hifiman are detailed enough. Seriously.

Swapping between them. The largest differences is the U sound of the Final gives it a denser richer, fuller, chocolatey (lol) sound. The HE1000 SE sound thinner, airy, delicate, vanilla (lol).

Theyre both keepers. I will probably have to sell my Arya to recoup funds though I would like to keep them as well.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #12,126 of 14,653
Went back to my MGs for an extended period and my opinion has changed somewhat - I would say the MGs make a fantastic companion to the 1000s as a simple, 'liveable' pair, especially for gaming.

Coming back to the HE1000s, I do think they're held back more by my stack than the MGs are - however, I bumped up 2K with a pretty loose peak filter of about 3.5DB, and applied a 2.5db low end bass boost, and that seems to have brought things nicely forward that were being pressed back. Really remarkably surprised in fact - normally I hear EQ and it sticks out like a sore thumb, this is just sublime!

Both are absolutely keepers but I'm glad that the MG has more of a place in my stable than I thought it did. And I'm likely

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #12,127 of 14,653
Listening to a newly acquired HE1000V2 that I bought from a friend that purchased in June 2022. I owned another unit a few months ago that I was told was an OG model before the HE1000V2 Stealth. It had the older packaging but there was a stealth sticker on the booklet. I found them to be pretty bright. On specific gear I found them a bit too bright and ultimately sold them.

After I sold them I spent quite a bit of time reading this thread and quickly realized I might have had one of the first stealth units.

I realized as well that the unit that I currently have needs a lot more power. Which is a clear sign that this is one of the older V2’s without stealth magnets.

Now that I have these I’m definitely hearing what I was missing in the newer units. They’re beautifully smooth. WAAY more natural in the mid range and much smoother in the highs. Very much an all rounder. The synergy with some of my source gear isn’t awesome but they sound phenomenal on my KANN Alpha and Questyle. I’m really excited about them.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #12,128 of 14,653
Listening to a newly acquired HE1000V2 that I bought from a friend that purchased in June 2022. I owned another unit a few months ago that I was told was an OG model before the HE1000V2 Stealth. It had the older packaging but there was a stealth sticker on the booklet. I found them to be pretty bright. On specific gear I found them a bit too bright and ultimately sold them.

After I sold them I spent quite a bit of time reading this thread and quickly realized I might have had one of the first stealth units.

I realized as well that the unit that I currently have needs a lot more power. Which is a clear sign that this is one of the older V2’s without stealth magnets.

Now that I have these I’m definitely hearing what I was missing in the newer units. They’re beautifully smooth. WAAY more natural in the mid range and much smoother in the highs. Very much an all rounder. The synergy with some of my source gear isn’t awesome but they sound phenomenal on my KANN Alpha and Questyle. I’m really excited about them.
The He1000v2 can scale very well with an upgraded source chain and can be big, holographic, with plenty of depth, and realistic timbre.
My next purchase will be an external clock, which should be another step toward achieving that sound signature.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #12,129 of 14,653
The He1000v2 can scale very well with an upgraded source chain and can be big, holographic, with plenty of depth, and realistic timbre.
My next purchase will be an external clock, which should be another step toward achieving that sound signature.
This is how I'm hearing my HE1000 V2's as well. They seemed to have taken another step forward in the burn-in process and are sounding more like I remember them when I owned them the first time around; Big, open, 3D, layered, with incredible depth and musical textures.

The setup I had back then was the Hugo 2 and Burson Swing as DAC's. With the original Pro iCan, Gilmore Lite MK2 and Burson Fun as amps. My setup has evolved tremendously since then. I echo your thoughts when you say that the HE1000 V2's will scale with better gear, because they absolutely do :)!

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #12,130 of 14,653
Been having the Clear MG, and I love the warmness of the headphone itself compared to the OG clears. Just wondering which one better to get the He1000v2 or the He1000Stealth, or maybe I should just op for the He1000SE for more of a clear upgrade.

I wonder if anyone can give any their opinion about this? Thanks.

From what I could attain from reading this forum is that He1000v2 is more of an all rounder, emotional HP. While the Stealth is brighter but very good for specific genres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #12,131 of 14,653
I’ve had the V2 for about 3 years and recently got the stealths as well. I will confirm that in my experience the stealth has greater bass impact and a more forward signature. These come with the trade off of slight reduction of soundstage width. The stealth have a little more resolve and micro details are presented with precision. The stealth are way more efficient and find about a 6.5dB drive level difference aligns them with the V2 for comparison.

Emotionally speaking I feel the V2 and stealth provide very different listening experiences. While their tonality and character are definitely closely related, the stealth are way more engaging. Listening on them I feel myself moved by the music. It is a very active listening experience. On the other hand, the V2 provide a much more euphoric response like I am swimming in the music. Both are amazing.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #12,133 of 14,653
I’ve had the V2 for about 3 years and recently got the stealths as well. I will confirm that in my experience the stealth has greater bass impact and a more forward signature. These come with the trade off of slight reduction of soundstage width. The stealth have a little more resolve and micro details are presented with precision. The stealth are way more efficient and find about a 6.5dB drive level difference aligns them with the V2 for comparison.

Emotionally speaking I feel the V2 and stealth provide very different listening experiences. While their tonality and character are definitely closely related, the stealth are way more engaging. Listening on them I feel myself moved by the music. It is a very active listening experience. On the other hand, the V2 provide a much more euphoric response like I am swimming in the music. Both are amazing.
I see. Well I could either get a used V2 or a new V2stealth where I'm living right now. I'm not too sure if getting a used Hifiman would be such a great idea. I demo-ed the SE before even though the technicalities are amazing, I found it to be a tad too bright for my personal taste. If PFS measurement was correct, the V2Stealth is supposed to be even more brighter. So I'm really having second thoughts haha.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #12,134 of 14,653
v2 stealth are way more forward then the se ( less space from ear to musicians / sources / microphones ) , mids are hotter ( more energetic ) ; both need a smooth source , one that resolve highs but definitely tame sibilance and highs hardness

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #12,135 of 14,653
v2 stealth are way more forward then the se ( less space from ear to musician / microphones ) , mids are hotter ( more energetic ) ; both need a smooth source , one that resolve highs but definitely tame sibilance and highs hardness
Hrmm I'm thinking of getting either the A90D or A90. Not sure if that pairs well. Any recommendations for Solid State amp that pairs well with it? or Tube amp is probably a better options to go here to make the sound a bit warm?
Thanks again for the reply.
Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back