Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #9,646 of 14,685
Does this mean you like the Abyss or Utopia better?
(never mind, I went back to your review of the TOTL over ears, HEK wasn't close in your rating)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #9,647 of 14,685
Does this mean you like the Abyss or Utopia better?
(never mind, I went back to your review of the TOTL over ears, HEK wasn't close in your rating)

Pretty much, kept it around because it has a different signature, and the comfort is really good. But the comfort of the utopia is not THAT far behind it and I find the utopia getting more and more ear time, whiles the get HEK less and less.

Didn't really consider selling it tbh, but im trying to fund another purchase, (WA33), so something's got to go. :frowning2:

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #9,649 of 14,685
I'm looking to try out Rupert Neve RNHP, but don't know what DAC to feed it. If Rupert Neve truely is a clean Amp, I'd like to feed a good dedicated DAC to it. I rather not feed Mojo to it as I already know it's sig.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #9,651 of 14,685
It’s all based on your sonic preference, after extensive a/bing I decided the Neve with its lower noise floor was better for me. I own a DS DAC and have lived through PS Audio lowering its noise floor and raising the musicality over the past few years and I like what I’m hearing. I think it’s very important to listen to others feedback and measurement but above all trust your own ears. I’m a musician so I know the sound of live music and I like equipment tuned to my preferences.
I recently visited JH Audio to listen to the Lola iems which were tuned for Slash from Guns and Roses, he now uses the the Lola as his headphone of choice because the tuning is great for guitar. I purchased custom Layla’s for their flat frequency response, speed and tonality and I love them, I purchased a Schiit Loki so I can change the frequency response of certain recordings because of the Layla’s brutal honesty and the Hifiman he1000’s quirkiness in certain frequencies.
Dacs (<1200)I would try are Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Your Mojo, Massdrop Nuforce 8, Questyle, etc.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #9,653 of 14,685
Thanks I’m up in the air like the jot mojo just not sure if it’s the best in price range
So hard when you can’t try equipment out
I hear you, I would get Neve and A/B pro stores that sell it have a good return policy. I sold my Jot felt it was all power no refinement, that’s just my opinion. I’m going to sell the Cavalli as soon as I find my box. The series 2 is very rare on Agon should be able to get close to retail...

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #9,655 of 14,685
Rupert Neve RNHP same thing, I owned all of them Jotenheim, Cavalli, Audeze Deckard and Rupert

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #9,657 of 14,685
678C4501-7D52-4A8A-941B-C6DCC9A989FF.jpeg
The Modi is great at the price, I thought the Nuforce DAC 8 and Mojo Dac were slightly better and when I pulled my DS DAC out of my big rig there is no discussion different league. The Modi is very good for the price I just quickly moved on as I had better stuff in house.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #9,658 of 14,685
How was the Deckard? Better than Questyle CMA600i?

You think Modi multibit to RNHP would be good?
I haven’t heard questyle, I loaned the Deckard to my friend who owns the LCD X, he likes it but considers the DAC inferior but passable. I felt the same way, the Modi is competitive with the Deckard’s DAC section. Decent sound depends on what you use it with. He is very knowledgeable owns a high end cable company and has many ultra high end Dacs.
So, to answer your question, as I recall I got better sound with RNHP and Modi then Jot and Modi, I felt the DAC 8 was slightly better, tighter bass greater separation between instruments and a slight sense of more air up top. As I recall it was very close but I kept the Dac 8.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #9,660 of 14,685
The Modi is great at the price, I thought the Nuforce DAC 8 and Mojo Dac were slightly better and when I pulled my DS DAC out of my big rig there is no discussion different league. The Modi is very good for the price I just quickly moved on as I had better stuff in house.
So you are saying Mojo is better than Modi to Rupert Neve? Because if Mojo is better than Modi to any amp, I really see no point in amping a Mojo that has an amp built in. Mojo drives HEK pretty well based on what I hear(but, don't know how much more refined the HEK can sound with the right setup).

I have heard a headphone that output more refined sound out of the CMA600i over Mojo, and curious if it's the case with the HEK as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back