Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #9,631 of 14,627
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #9,633 of 14,627
I use an Alo Audio Studio 6 which sounds incredible with the HEK v2’s - especially after some tube rolling. The biggest improvement was from a Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate 6SN7 after a long burn in. To my ears the HEK v2’s are now perfectly balanced between a rich/natural tone and lots of detail and air.

I’ve also used them with my Mojo - although nowhere near the quality of the Studio 6 I was very surprised how good they sounded out of a small device.

They also sounded good out of a Nuprime DAC10H if a bit sterile in comparison.

But adding some tubes and power into the mix really makes the HEK v2’s sing.

I’ve been thinking about the Susvara’s but the sound of the HEK’s is so good I’m not sure what they will add (other than the need for a more powerful amplifier and a lot more dollars). I don’t stand any chance of reviewing a pair as I’m based in NZ (I very much doubt there is a single pair of Susvara’s in the whole country).

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #9,634 of 14,627
I've been watching videos of Dr Fang Bian on youtube, and he points out that his friend was the one that was into planar technology, and was behind the HE series(which is named after the inventor's name), and I believe Dr Fang Bian brings his materials expertise in fine tuning the drivers as he has nanotech Phd, in which he is tring to make the diaphram lighter and lighter.

Call me a fanboi of HifiMan planars.:darthsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #9,635 of 14,627
I agree dollar wise you can’t go wrong with Mojo, I just find it a little soft especially when listening to more aggressive music. I felt it a little light dynamically. Interesting I’m going to try it with the Neves, I already like it with the VorzAmp.
I used the Mojo a lot with my Campfire Jupiter and Andromeda iems and felt it was a better match there... Each time I insert the VorzAmp I feel I get closer to the music when going portable.
I’ve heard great things about the Micro Zotl And HE.

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9,636 of 14,627
I'm a long time user of the MicroZOTL2 and HEK (v1 first, then v2). Really like the pairing. Have had ZOTL modded by Mojo Audio, and went for their all out LPS, Illuminati-at first wasn't crazy about the upgrade/mods, but changed tubes, now finding it a great combo.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #9,637 of 14,627
I agree dollar wise you can’t go wrong with Mojo, I just find it a little soft especially when listening to more aggressive music. I felt it a little light dynamically. Interesting I’m going to try it with the Neves, I already like it with the VorzAmp.
I used the Mojo a lot with my Campfire Jupiter and Andromeda iems and felt it was a better match there... Each time I insert the VorzAmp I feel I get closer to the music when going portable.
I’ve heard great things about the Micro Zotl And HE.
I've compared Mojo and Hugo 2. Mojo has a smoothed upper mids, and transition to the lower treble is a bit abrupt. Due to this, depending on the output transducer type, upper mids with vocals can have a slight hallow toneality with not much definition. This depends on the transducer, and hear this with BA iems. Hugo 2 on the other hand warmed it up a bit to have a more even, mids to treble transition, but slightly warmer than my liking to reduce mids articulation. I personally don't find Hugo 2 up to the level of hype or deserving, but it is more refined than the Mojo. Mojo has a greater sense of articulation due to the a bit of an abrupt mids to treble transition, and thus sound a bit treble elevated creating lift in articulation, and also the mid bass is more emphasized adding to articulation and clarity, and this has worked best out of my active monitors which needs this.

Interestingly, Mojo's response worked better than expected with the HEK, and don't hear the same reaction of BA iems. I suspect that the refinement in sound can get better than the Mojo.

From memory Vozuge did raise dynamics greater and it was the characteristic, but it does have it's own stage(sound spacial) characterstic different from the original output. Perhaps HEK was a bit too polite for your taste

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #9,638 of 14,627
I use the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp, originally designed by HiFiMAN for their hard-to-drive HE-6 headphone, but certainly great for the more-easy-to-drive HE1000. I found it better than Schiit Lyr2, HiFiMAN EF-5, and Joseph Grado HPA-1.

+1 on EF-6 amp. I liked it with HEK v1 and v2 while auditioning both headphones, plenty of power (with XLR balanced cables I did not have to go further than 10 a.m. on volume knob on recordings with high dynamic range ). The sound was smooth, spacious and detailed. Very nice combo indeed, although I don´t have another point of reference. I´m eyeing Audio GD Master 9 or HE-9 and HE 1000 v2 . As far as I know TonyNewman has Master 9 with HEK v2 and Ezekiel77 has heard HE-9 with HEK v2 in Malaysia some months ago (Kuala Lumpur International AV Show)... What do you guys think about that combination ?

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #9,639 of 14,627
I like the M9 + HEKv2 combination quite a bit. M9 is a very transparent amp with oodles of power. Don't expect it to add (or subtract) much from the sound - it won't. That's how an amp should behave, I think, close to the 'wire with gain' ideal. Pair it with a DAC like the Pavane and it works very well. A more forward / clinical DAC like the Yggy didn't pair quite so well to my ears.

After quite a bit of experimenting, I have my HD800S plugged into the Glenn 300B amp and the HEKv2 plugged into the M9. Those combinations work best for me.

I find that the HEKv2 benefits from getting plenty of juice (as does the HD800S).

My experience with the EF-6 is very limited, a 10 minute play in a shop using a mix of Audeze cans, so take my opinion with a big grain of salt - but I would take the M9 over the EF-6 many times over.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #9,642 of 14,627
I use the HEKv2 with a Bryston BHA-1. That amp is built like a tank and has a 20 year warranty. I don't really have anything to compare it against, but it sounds excellent to me.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #9,643 of 14,627
mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.jpg

Nirvana Unplugged in New York really shines out of the HEK. :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back