Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #9,586 of 14,653
I am looking for a cable upgrade for use with BOTH my HEK V2 and Focal Utopias. Don't want separate cables and hate the length and weight of the stock Focal cable and the stickyness and springiness of the stock HIFIMAN cable. I want to keep cost just under 1K if possible. Interested to hear what others have tried for both headphones.

So far heard good reviews for:
DanaCables Lazuli Reference but not sure adapter available to fit both.

Norne Audio Sliverguard S2 8 wire
The latter can be configured to accommodate both headphones with an adapter cord. Heard good things about Norne.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Can't speak for Utopia owners but I upgraded from Black Dragons to Lazuli Reference for my HEK V2 and it made a surprisingly large difference. I believe they also work well with the Utopia (especially if you like a smoother/more organic sound that still retains a lot of detail). Can't see that they make an adapter though. Maybe you could ask them?

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #9,587 of 14,653
ud1300 for a cable??????????????????????????? : Triportsad: I bought from this Croatian seller 36-meter-long cable for my Abyss, AudEZE lcd4 and He1000v2. the total spend is about $ 300 and sounds so INCREDIBLE! another $ 150 for sheath, splitter and connectors and hand-made. with about $ 500 I made 3 pure silver cables that sound exceptionally. the only defect in this cable is that it remains a bit rigid as it is a silver mono. but the price quality is IMPRESSIVE! the best purchase for orthodynamic headphones on the market. in 2017, with such a large market to buy cables, sheaths and connectors it is absurd to spend so much money on an aftermarket cable. you can have the same quality with a fraction of the price ...imho naturally.. http://www.ebay.it/itm/0-5mm-AWG-24...944506?hash=item1c921528ba:g:TtUAAOSwAANY57Ix

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #9,588 of 14,653
I am looking for a cable upgrade for use with BOTH my HEK V2 and Focal Utopias. Don't want separate cables and hate the length and weight of the stock Focal cable and the stickyness and springiness of the stock HIFIMAN cable. I want to keep cost just under 1K if possible. Interested to hear what others have tried for both headphones.

So far heard good reviews for:
DanaCables Lazuli Reference but not sure adapter available to fit both.

Norne Audio Sliverguard S2 8 wire
The latter can be configured to accommodate both headphones with an adapter cord. Heard good things about Norne.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Lazuli Ref is the best cable I've heard. Basically upgraded the sound of stock by quite a margin: detail without sacrificing smoothness, note richness and superb imaging/layering. I used it for my LCD-X, HEKv1, HD800S and Eikons (via adapters). Only thing is the price being very prohibitive. The cable is just as lauded in the Utopia thread.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #9,589 of 14,653
The Lazuli Ref is the best cable I've heard. Basically upgraded the sound of stock by quite a margin: detail without sacrificing smoothness, note richness and superb imaging/layering. I used it for my LCD-X, HEKv1, HD800S and Eikons (via adapters). Only thing is the price being very prohibitive. The cable is just as lauded in the Utopia thread.
Is there a description of the wire composition and # Cores etc? Price? Can you get adapters to fit both HEKV2 and Utopias??

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #9,590 of 14,653
The Lazuli Ref is the best cable I've heard. Basically upgraded the sound of stock by quite a margin: detail without sacrificing smoothness, note richness and superb ......

Pretty much my experiences with the Lanzuli Reference + Focal Utopia headphones!

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #9,591 of 14,653
I'll throw a curveball here. As amazing as it was, I wasn't listening to the Lazuli Ref as often as I thought, so I sold it (spend way more time with portables).

So I'd like to ask if there are any midrange cables (~$300) that give a nice tonally rich signature with good imaging/layering, sort of a baby Lazuli Ref. Hope they match up with my other cans too (LCD-X, HD800S). I was looking at Norne Zoetic/Vanquish, Q French Silk (I have adapters) and Toxic Silver Poison, but would love other suggestions/sound impressions as well.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #9,592 of 14,653
I'll throw a curveball here. As amazing as it was, I wasn't listening to the Lazuli Ref as often as I thought, so I sold it (spend way more time with portables).

So I'd like to ask if there are any midrange cables (~$300) that give a nice tonally rich signature with good imaging/layering, sort of a baby Lazuli Ref. Hope they match up with my other cans too (LCD-X, HD800S). I was looking at Norne Zoetic/Vanquish, Q French Silk (I have adapters) and Toxic Silver Poison, but would love other suggestions/sound impressions as well.
Is there a place where the specs for the cable materials and design are posted??!

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #9,593 of 14,653

Tonally rich? The poison sounded a bit empty..better try the black widow or silver widow

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #9,594 of 14,653
Tonally rich? The poison sounded a bit empty..better try the black widow or silver widow
Thanks for your help. I'll nudge them in the appropriate thread.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #9,595 of 14,653

I had previously recommended the SP to Ezekiel77 on the Toxic thread based on his requirement of a mid-level cable in the $300 price range.
I'm sure the SWs would be better, but they are at a higher price range (I'm not familiar with the BW).

Compared to my Sen HD600 stock cable, my SPs definitely do not sound "a bit empty". It all depends what the reference point is.
PMing Frank with a very specific question on specific models will usually result in a more detailed answer than the very sparse info he usually gives publicly

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #9,596 of 14,653
I had previously recommended the SP to Ezekiel77 on the Toxic thread based on his requirement of a mid-level cable in the $300 price range.
I'm sure the SWs would be better, but they are at a higher price range (I'm not familiar with the BW).

Compared to my Sen HD600 stock cable, my SPs definitely do not sound "a bit empty". It all depends what the reference point is.
PMing Frank with a very specific question on specific models will usually result in a more detailed answer than the very sparce info he usually gives publicly
pls dont get me wrong..its agood cable..but with empty i meant: little lows..and a bit to agressive highs...but it woukd be perfect for a more mellow/darker sounding gear...but i loved the bw..good lows but without sounding dark and good dteails.eventhough its copper based...in my opinion one of the best buys for not to dark sounding sets

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #9,599 of 14,653
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Lanzuli Reference to the Norne Silvergarde S2 with either the Utopias or HEK2?? They are close in price and cannot decide based on what I have read. I know I can order both and return the one I like less but always interested in what others have experienced. I can get an adapter made for the S2 for use with both. Also was curious if the wires in the Lanzuli are silver and in Litz configuration.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #9,600 of 14,653
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Lanzuli Reference to the Norne Silvergarde S2 with either the Utopias or HEK2?? They are close in price and cannot decide based on what I have read. I know I can order both and return the one I like less but always interested in what others have experienced. I can get an adapter made for the S2 for use with both. Also was curious if the wires in the Lanzuli are silver and in Litz configuration.
I was at the Toronto TAVES show today and I did hear the Lanzuli with HE1000 V2's in A, B with the OEM cable. I liked the smooth presentation and full soundstage. I run Lavricables Master 20 cores for my Utopias and The Ultimate for the HE1000 V2's. Silver will get you a brighter top end and presentation. Unfortunately I didn't have my cable to do an A,B comparison. I do prefer the Silver to my Moon Audio Black Dragon V2's which are copper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back