Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,556 of 14,653
Ok so now I am replying to my own post :wink:
I have to correct myself as I now think that the Auralic/HE1000 combo is better. I have had a lot of free time over last couple of day and done a lot of HP listening. All weekend used the Dev/Auralic set up.
So this morning connected the AK300 to my HE1000s and it was def not as good. Thinner and slightly more sibilance on some vocals. I now think maybe you just get used to a certain sound if thats what you are primarily using. Mind the AK300 still sounds amazing considering how little it costs compared to the hine set up.

This makes much more sense. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #9,557 of 14,653
I can definitely suggest the Taurus MKII, it drives the HEKv2 (and v1) very well, near the maximum you can extract from this headphone. if you want to push out also the remaining % you must be ready to spend some good money on a custom-made SET tube amplifier. a 300B with custom OPT is perfect and will make the HEKv2 sing like no other amp. an example is in my sig, but there are many other.
btw, the same amps will also happily drive HE6 (but only in bal mode for the Taurus)
Or u can go the classic way (as alternative to tube)..an opamp-based amplifier..but one thing i myself found out also..the hek needs quality power..just like the he6 and code-x to shine

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #9,559 of 14,653
1 watt MicroZOTL2 plenty to drive HEK...Better sounding than LC, (itself good sounding) which has more power than the ZOTL.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #9,560 of 14,653
agree. with HEK point is not quantity (to a large degree at least), but quality.... while HE6 is somewhat different.....
I had code-x and that phone scaled hugely when paired with very high quality gear..and i mean the better the gear the better the sound..there was no ceiling..and i get a feeling the HEK is same kind of headphone..my 'high end' custom PaG is a VERY powerful headphone amp with HUGE reserves (gigantic external powersupply..see my review) and very clean sounding..but still.. i think if i upgrade to bigger and better headphone amp my hek will even scale higher...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,561 of 14,653
I had code-x and that phone scaled hugely when paired with very high quality gear..and i mean the better the gear the better the sound..there was no ceiling..and i get a feeling the HEK is same kind of headphone..

absolutely the same kind, but in a sense easier. since you don't really need that much power, HEK can scale really incredibly well with the right amplifier.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #9,562 of 14,653
Looking to replace stock cable for both HEK V2 and Utopia? Want to keep each under $400. The cable on the UTOPIA is too heavy and long and the cable for the HEK V2 too sticky and rubbery. Need both great sound and ergonomics.

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #9,564 of 14,653
I'm using this http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=80 for Utopia and HEKv1 and couldn't be happier.
but it depends what you are looking for as sound sig, in general if you want more "vivid" sound go for silver, otherwise go for UPOCC copper

PS I'm using stock cable with HEKv2 since I find that is good enough
What did you pay for that cable and how long is it? Copper or Silver wire?

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #9,566 of 14,653
I'm using this http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=80 for Utopia and HEKv1 and couldn't be happier.
but it depends what you are looking for as sound sig, in general if you want more "vivid" sound go for silver, otherwise go for UPOCC copper

PS I'm using stock cable with HEKv2 since I find that is good enough
I swear on the 'regular' sw22 for the HEK/ code-x/he-6/ he500..and i think its within your price range..but be prepared to wait months..but its worth it!

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #9,567 of 14,653
My HE1000 (modified, V2 pads) is equipped with a Lavricables Master Silver since a few weeks, and I'm very satisfied with the combination. The Master Silver has replaced a Silver Dragon, and while the characteristic is somewhat similar, it offers even better detail.

I also like its very light weight and its sleek surface preventing it from being microphonic.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #9,569 of 14,653
My HE1000 (modified, V2 pads) is equipped with a Lavricables Master Silver since a few weeks, and I'm very satisfied with the combination. The Master Silver has replaced a Silver Dragon, and while the characteristic is somewhat similar, it offers even better detail.

I also like its very light weight and its sleek surface preventing it from being microphonic.
I’ll second Lavricables. I have Konstantin’s Ultimate for my HE1000 V2’s as the Masters weren’t in production and I really enjoy them. I have his Masters with 20 cores for Utopias and they are amazing I use 4 meter lengths and they are very reasonable all things considered I like them so much that I’ve gone XLR Lavricables for my interconnects

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #9,570 of 14,653
I’ll second Lavricables. I have Konstantin’s Ultimate for my HE1000 V2’s as the Masters weren’t in production and I really enjoy them. I have his Masters with 20 cores for Utopias and they are amazing I use 4 meter lengths and they are very reasonable all things considered I like them so much that I’ve gone XLR Lavricables for my interconnects

:astonished:

HE-1000 cable change is audible, ain't it?

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back