Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #7,051 of 14,653
"veils" are relative, and often not obvious until you compare to something less "veiled". For instance, I didn't hear a veil on my HE-560, until I compared them to the HEK, after which the more open HE-1000 let me hear that the 560 was indeed, relatively "veiled".

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #7,052 of 14,653
Relatively sealing headphones are always going to sound a bit more closed, maybe that's what he meant. e.g. If you lift your HEK's back (where the earpad is the thickest) slightly, it will sound quite a bit more open and more speakerlike, for better or worse.

Heck that is one of the main things I did with the old jergpad modding, was it create that back opening effect.

Edit: obviously you'd still want the seal in order to maintain clean low bass reproduction, but that's beside the point.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #7,053 of 14,653

No veil whatsoever with Master-8

None whatsoever on my Hugo TT (amp/DAC) or with my Hugo TT -- > GS-X Mk2...just absolutely transparent and brilliant sounding...even next to my SR-009s (and I wouldn't call them "veiled" either 
wink.gif
). 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7,055 of 14,653
Like doctorjazz says veil is relative to the preforming of other gear, as is open, neutral, warm and so on. Sure we try to compare the sound ultimately to real life performing and all. However it is hard to tell exactly which part of the audio chain that’s contribute to which part of the sound as they work in symbiosis. In one setup one amp, DAC, headphone or cable could sound great and in another setup, together with other gear, only okay. The importance of good gear-matching can’t be overlooked, the better the gear the more important it will be IMO.

I have seen so many unforgiving comments about reviews from the big audio magazines, and yes some are not very informative or truly unbiased. But what the good reviewer do and what I normally like is that they can isolate one gear by changing to many other DAC’s, AMP’s and cables that they have already tried in many other configuration before know how it use to sound like. It’s this kind of information that usually tell me best how one gear sounds like.

Naturally this is not a thing that are only done by professionals we all do this evaluation process in one way or the other. Kayandjohn for example used 5 amp then evaluated some headphones.   

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #7,056 of 14,653
Couldn't disagree more.  I do not hear a veil on this headphone at all.  I did have an issue with this headphone regarding the upper mids-- specifically when a snare would hit-- the leading edge of the hit lacked attack replicated very well with other headphones.  But an upgrade in cable relieved that issue.  I have a beta version, I should note.

The construction of the headphone would not support this theory either.  It's a nano-thick membrane driven by magnets.  Where's the "built in" veil?  Same construction theory as the LCDs in fact.  

But to each his own.  Enjoy.

Yes there is something unnatural about the snare hits on HEK. Also treble on the pair I heard is a bit rough. This is at odds to the otherwise smooth character so it stands out even more.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #7,057 of 14,653
Yes there is something unnatural about the snare hits on HEK. Also treble on the pair I heard is a bit rough. This is at odds to the otherwise smooth character so it stands out even more.

A few weeks ago, I managed to go back to my local shop auditioning new headphone (bringing my modded hd800). It's quite interesting when I managed to listen to their he1k, I also spotted this slightly rough treble compare to hd800. While at home, I didn't notice this issue with my he1k (to my personal relieve).

So not sure what the cause, whether it's burn-in, unit variations, or amping (or source)...

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #7,058 of 14,653
A few weeks ago, I managed to go back to my local shop auditioning new headphone (bringing my modded hd800). It's quite interesting when I managed to listen to their he1k, I also spotted this slightly rough treble compare to hd800. While at home, I didn't notice this issue with my he1k (to my personal relieve).

So not sure what the cause, whether it's burn-in, unit variations, or amping (or source)...

Could be either I guess. Hopefully just factor of burn in.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #7,059 of 14,653
The HEK haa a treble boost roughly from 5 - 7Khz.
If you run a sine or see some graphs, you'll hear/see it.
Not saying it is bad. Just that it influences things :)

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #7,060 of 14,653

An aftermarket cable will eliminate this issue.  I picked up the Moon audio HEK cable and the snare issue is gone.  To me, it's a perfect headphone.  

None whatsoever on my Hugo TT (amp/DAC) or with my Hugo TT -- > GS-X Mk2...just absolutely transparent and brilliant sounding...even next to my SR-009s (and I wouldn't call them "veiled" either 
wink.gif
). 

I just tried a few DXD and DSD 256 files for my Chord TT/HEK combo.  Unfortunately there's not much out there in genres I prefer, but for a sonic experience-- It's a hell of a good time.  It's mind altering hearing a 22,579kbps file.  I've never heard something so true-- like your brain is plugged into the recording counsel.  There are a few free files here to play around with:

http://www.2l.no/hires

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #7,061 of 14,653
Fixed link.

I agree: A matching aftermarket cable is mandatory for the HE1000. In my case it's a Silver Dragon which refines the coarse treble of the original cable(s).

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #7,062 of 14,653
Can anyone comment on this harshness/ veil issue with single ended vs balanced?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #7,063 of 14,653
Someone who perceives it that way, I suppose...if there is any criterion out there, it's more often that it's too Soft/polite.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,064 of 14,653
Can anyone comment on this harshness/ veil issue with single ended vs balanced?

Using my iPhone 6 plus Grace M903 Cary 300 SEI Chord Hugo and Nagra HD DAC with the HE1000, I have not heard anything other than transparency, command and precise imaging.  For all of the above, I have used single ended cabling.
For balanced test, I tried it with an old Headroom Ultra Desktop and it was terrific as well.

I recommend the HE1000 fully. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #7,065 of 14,653
I recently upgraded my HE-100 with Norne Audio Solv X to the MIT Cable Vero Reference and it made a great headphone/cable combination even better. These headphones well do respond well to a good set of cables and even better to a great set of cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back