Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 1, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #6,871 of 14,653
Interesting reviews in some ways. But  I basically only listen to acoustic music which  IS THE ONE AND ONLY REFERENCE to me. The problem with most reviews imo is that they basically never  include that true reference of what HIFI is all about.. Almost all reviewers use only pop,rock heavy  metal and whatever, all of which is utterly artifical and electronic and contains loads of inherent distortions in the music itself. I don't understand why so few reviewers seem to listen to acoustic music. From these two reviews included in the links there is only one: Enya, that I even know of.
Yes she makes nice soothing music and all .But I would never ever use her albums for SQ  evaluation of any HI FI equipment. She uses loads and loads of dub on layer upon layer of dubbing that sounds more forgiving  on less revealing equipment than via real HIFI.
I have to admit though that Headphonics review came to basically the same initial conclusions I did from  my so far only 2-3 hours of auditioning a new set of HE1000 comparing it to my trusted HD 800 via HUGO.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #6,872 of 14,653
I agree with a previous comment about the HE1000 liking a lot of juice...this is definitely my experience as well. Of the amps I've tried I've found the HE1000 to shine with the Wells Enigma, McIntosh MHA100 and to a slightly lesser extent the Trilogy 933. Of those, my favourite is the Wells (which is just as well as I now own one) :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #6,873 of 14,653
I agree with a previous comment about the HE1000 liking a lot of juice...this is definitely my experience as well. Of the amps I've tried I've found the HE1000 to shine with the Wells Enigma, McIntosh MHA100 and to a slightly lesser extent the Trilogy 933. Of those, my favourite is the Wells (which is just as well as I now own one) :)

Hi, buddy, how much he1000 better than hd800?

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6,874 of 14,653

Just have to say, All's Wells that ends Wells (HAHAHAHAHAHA)!

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,875 of 14,653
I just ordered he1000
Can you guys recommened me some of the best amps under 6000?

EF-6 divers he-1000 to the max with beautiful touch = $1500
Soloist drives he-1000 with authority and transparency = $900

However, Garage Ember II is the one I keep coming to often to drive my he-1000 = $350 amp +  $80 6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy NOS . I just love this combo over the above.

Yep, such matter get weirder  when it comes to preferences! 

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,876 of 14,653

Hi, buddy, how much he1000 better than hd800?

THAT is a loaded question.  No consensus on how much better, in what ways, or if it's even better at all.  Some think it's not as good as the HD800.  People are all over the map on this one.

Edit/addendum: mtoc, I just now realized that your question was directed to pedalhead, not me......so...  Not sure how I could have missed that.  Sorry about that.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #6,878 of 14,653
 Soon, a direct comparison of the HE-1000 with the Kennerton Odin on the same amp (Viva Egoista 845), and also with the all new Edition X HifiMan Headphone.

See my first Edit : link : http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/255#post_12094953

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,880 of 14,653
Can Mojo drive HE1000?

If that's going to be your one and only amp for the HE1000s, I'd seriously look into the HE-X. On my AK240SS, they are almost on par with each other and it is not until I get them both on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2) that the HE1000s pull ahead.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #6,881 of 14,653

Your profile shows that you own the Pulse X Infinity and the Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X Infinity + LPS.  I THINK that may be what was being used to drive these at Axpona 2015, which was my first listen to the HE-1000s.  What do you think about this front end with the HE-1000, as an owner?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #6,882 of 14,653
I am liking the HE1000 but I think my Woo Audio WA7 amp/DAC with WA7tp is a bit inadequate for these cans, it drives HD800 and LCD-XC with ease but doesn't feel quite as effortlessly in charge with HE1000.  A bit if a silly oversimplified question, I know, but how much would I benefit from moving on to a more powerful amp (been looking at Schiit Rargnarok/Yggdrasil combo)?  I listen both to uncompressed flac files as well as Spotify.  Or is there another amp/DAC I should consider?  Budget is flexible (say under $4K) but of course if I can get away with paying less - all the better.  Will this be a massive improvement or somewhat incremental and will this be any improvement at all for compressed music like mp3s and Spotify streams?

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #6,883 of 14,653
  I am liking the HE1000 but I think my Woo Audio WA7 amp/DAC with WA7tp is a bit inadequate for these cans, it drives HD800 and LCD-XC with ease but doesn't feel quite as effortlessly in charge with HE1000.  A bit if a silly oversimplified question, I know, but how much would I benefit from moving on to a more powerful amp (been looking at Schiit Rargnarok/Yggdrasil combo)?  I listen both to uncompressed flac files as well as Spotify.  Or is there another amp/DAC I should consider?  Budget is flexible (say under $4K) but of course if I can get away with paying less - all the better.  Will this be a massive improvement or somewhat incremental and will this be any improvement at all for compressed music like mp3s and Spotify streams?

MHA100 is an Amp/DAC that supposedly pairs well with the HE1000, though I haven't heard it myself. It retails for $4500 new, but I've seen a few under 4k on the Used listings. I have the Oppo HA-1 and find it powers the HE1000 quite well, not end game or anything, but I picked mine up for $800 and I don't think I could ask for anything more than it brings to the table, sonically and in term of features/design.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #6,884 of 14,653

At least one other person said the same thing about the WA7/HE-1000 combo.  I haven't heard it.   I have heard the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack with the HE-1000.  Awesome!  Ask Reddog as he owns this stack and the HE-1000.  There are others with this stack and the HE-1000s as well.  The HiFiMAN EF-6 is reported to be excellent also.  I own the MicroZOTL 2 and it is magical with the HE-1000s.  I can't speak to how much the file format will affect the magnitude of improvement. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #6,885 of 14,653
  At least one other person said the same thing about the WA7/HE-1000 combo.  I haven't heard it.   I have heard the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack with the HE-1000.  Awesome!  Ask Reddog as he owns this stack and the HE-1000.  There are others with this stack as well.  The HiFiMAN EF-6 is reported to be excellent also.  I own the MicroZOTL 2 and it is magical with the HE-1000s.  I can't speak to how much the file format will affect the magnitude of improvement. 

The EF-6 and MicroZOTL 2 are not Amp/DAC's just to clarify Saidentary's solid recommendation. They are amps only, so you'd still need a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back