Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 30, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #6,857 of 14,653
I use a Rudistor RP010B and think it sounds great with the HEK. (Rudistor has replaced this with the the RP030 which I have not heard, but if I wanted a new solid state amp, or any amp, I would get this based on my 5 years of ownership.)
My ears tell me that the Rudi has a special rightness and liquidity without fatigue and an amazing bass. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #6,858 of 14,653
I've used the HEK with the RSA Dark Star for a while and Currently use them with the LAu, both are great options, tons of power with either amp to drive the HE1000. Dark Star has a bit more sparkle, but the LAu after burn in, just brings all the details to the surface, LAu sounds more neutral and seems to get out of the way and just have you enjoy the music.

Have not heard the GSX, but the LAu is a great choice for planars in general.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #6,859 of 14,653
I've used the HEK with the RSA Dark Star for a while and Currently use them with the LAu, both are great options, tons of power with either amp to drive the HE1000. Dark Star has a bit more sparkle, but the LAu after burn in, just brings all the details to the surface, LAu sounds more neutral and seems to get out of the way and just have you enjoy the music.

Have not heard the GSX, but the LAu is a great choice for planars in general.
I heard a lot of good things about LAu. GSX is very new to me tho... Is there any one who heard both of them?????

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6,860 of 14,653
I just ordered he1000
Can you guys recommend me some of the best amps under 6000?

The MicroZOTL 2 is astounding with the HE-1000 headphones.  I'm not the only one who thinks that.  Almost everyone is blown away by its sound.  Not absolutely everyone, but almost everyone.  Personally I was stunned, and said so in my HE-1000 Beta Tester review.  If you want to spend more than the $1100 asking price for the MicroZOTL 2, then you can get an upgraded power supply; the most talked about one of those is the Mojo Audio Joule V.  That upgrade would bring the total to about $2000.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #6,861 of 14,653
Can someone here recommend the best portable amp for the HE-1000? I got the Bakoon HPA and it really doesn't power much. I'm not happy with that. Perhaps an ALO? 

HELP!

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #6,863 of 14,653
The MicroZOTL 2 is astounding with the HE-1000 headphones.  I'm not the only one who thinks that.  Almost everyone is blown away by its sound.  Not absolutely everyone, but almost everyone.  Personally I was stunned, and said so in my HE-1000 Beta Tester review.  If you want to spend more than the $1100 asking price for the MicroZOTL 2, then you can get an upgraded power supply; the most talked about one of those is the Mojo Audio Joule V.  That upgrade would bring the total to about $2000.
Why are there so many good amps?! I am looking for the price

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #6,864 of 14,653
Without going into specifics, I have listened to the HE1000 on my own amps....GS-X mk.2 , LAu, Liquid Glass, and the Stratus....can't say I've been disappointed with any combination . But most definitely very different flavors indeed.  A good amp that is on the value side that seems to be getting a lot of attention for portability (not quite portable but transportable) would be the Liquid Carbon.....but if you needed the best amp that's transportable....I'd venture a guess at the ALO RX-MK3...........These phones love juice, that is a fact.  They need a serious amp to realize the potential just like the HE-6, it's not just about the volume.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #6,865 of 14,653
Without going into specifics, I have listened to the HE1000 on my own amps....GS-X mk.2 , LAu, Liquid Glass, and the Stratus....can't say I've been disappointed with any combination . But most definitely very different flavors indeed.  A good amp that is on the value side that seems to be getting a lot of attention for portability (not quite portable but transportable) would be the Liquid Carbon.....but if you needed the best amp that's transportable....I'd venture a guess at the ALO RX-MK3...........These phones love juice, that is a fact.  They need a serious amp to realize the potential just like the HE-6, it's not just about the volume.
Hi, for gsx and liquid gold, which one is smaller?

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,866 of 14,653
I just ordered he1000
Can you guys recommend me some of the best amps under 6000?

The good news here is that there are a LOT of great choices.  I've also heard the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack by Schiit Audio.  It was awesome with the HE-1000s.  Was it better than the MicroZOTL 2 (using an Arcam irDAC) with the HE-1000?   I addressed that question in this post.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #6,868 of 14,653

Confusing, yes.  But it's a GREAT "problem" to have.   Search around head-fi HE-1000 threads and you'll see others mentioned as well.  For example, kayandjohn speaks highly of the HiFiMAN EF-6. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #6,869 of 14,653

I've found the HE1000 to work best with tube amps, particularly the best synergy I've heard yet is with the Studio Six, it's covered in a few recent reviews, you may want to check this amp out too, I know, I know enough options already!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/all-reviews/hi-fi-reviews/the-hifi-man-he-1000-headphone-review-worlds-best/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/all-reviews/hi-fi-reviews/the-alo-audio-studio-six-headphone-amp-review/

http://headfonics.com/2015/11/the-he1000-by-hifiman/

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #6,870 of 14,653
Another vote for the MicroZOTOL2, but I haven't heard the megabuck/high priced spread. Have compared it to RSA HR-2 (with the HEK), and I'm now the first on a tour of the Airist Audio Heron 5, a solid state, single ended dedicated headphone amp, and is selling for about $2K. Without going into detail here, I'll say that I like my ZOTL best of the amps I've used so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the high end RSA or Cavatelli amps are better, at multiples of the price, but this is a killer amp for not a little money, but not up with the most dear gear. (I'm burning in the Liquid Carbon, initial listening didn't change my opinion, LC is nice, costs less than the ZOTL, more "transportable", but I liked ZOTL sound better...but, break in is supposed to make a big difference in the LC, so I'm burnin' for a few more days before comparing again).
My $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back