Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,376 of 14,653
  What types of build quality issues are you all encountering?

First pair had rattling internal parts in the driver. Second pair had a loose cable connector which clicked when the cable was jiggled / touched slightly. Forcing me to not move my head at all unless I wanted to put up with the clicking.

Honestly, I would probably prefer to return it and receive a refund, but I don't think it would be allowed since the entire replacement period has taken over 30 days since the purchase. I don't even know where I would go next from the HE1000 since I'd rather not shell out the cash for a full electrostatic setup. Just have to hope the third replacement doesn't have any issues with it I suppose.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #6,377 of 14,653
  First pair had rattling internal parts in the driver. Second pair had a loose cable connector which clicked when the cable was jiggled / touched slightly. Forcing me to not move my head at all unless I wanted to put up with the clicking.

Honestly, I would probably prefer to return it and receive a refund, but I don't think it would be allowed since the entire replacement period has taken over 30 days since the purchase. I don't even know where I would go next from the HE1000 since I'd rather not shell out the cash for a full electrostatic setup. Just have to hope the third replacement doesn't have any issues with it I suppose.

I'll share a concern with you over the longevity of the connector. I was a strong advocate of the simple connector, but now I'm starting to think the connector on Audeze and Mr. Speakers are probably better. I don't know if HiFiMan simply could not machine the metal/wood as easily as the plastic on their cheaper headphones. I had no concerns over the connector on my HE-400S, but the one on the HE-1000 feels more loose.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,378 of 14,653
I had a loose connector, causing intermittent cutouts. I pulled off the ear pad and carefully used a flat bladed tool to push the metal clasp on the top of the connector forward a touch as it had moved out of contact, so I was getting irregular connection issues. That seems to have fixed the problem. TYHis did not happen with the stock cables but with aftermarket ones. Otherwise all good and very happy with the sound.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,379 of 14,653
  For the most part, sounds like issues that can be resolved?

It sounds like that to me also.  I wonder if there's a certain "run" of units that had most of the reported problems. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #6,380 of 14,653
Just to chime in so it's documented for whomever may be keeping score...

Mine has the squeeking right cup problem when it rotates that I've read others mention. I only observe it a when putting it on or off the head or HP stand. I haven't noticed it during adjustments once on my head yet, with the much smaller motion that needs.

Based on the date it reached my reseller, it was the 1st production batch.

I agree it is unaceptable at this price point for "a headphone". Hope newer batches do not have this.

Congrats must go to Dan Clark for being another small manufacturer that seems to have gotten every miniscule physical product detail right.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #6,381 of 14,653
The connector was probably a cost saving measure

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6,382 of 14,653
  On my third HE1000 replacement, mainly surrounding build quality inconsistency.
frown.gif
Hopefully third time's the charm.

Good luck bro, third time hasn't been the charm for me.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6,384 of 14,653
Congrats must go to Dan Clark for being another small manufacturer that seems to have gotten every miniscule physical product detail right.

Are you talking about the Dan Clark who lives in Florida?

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,386 of 14,653
These QC problems have been discussed on HFM threads for the past few years without fail................and yet we still buy them. 

Only difference is the cost of the headphones. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #6,387 of 14,653
  The connector was probably a cost saving measure

Nah, it's because everyone and their grandma has been complaining about how difficult it is to screw cables into their SMC connectors.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #6,388 of 14,653
  Nah, it's because everyone and their grandma has been complaining about how difficult it is to screw cables into their SMC connectors.

ya the change in connector was not a cost saving measure but rather a response to community feedback. hahaha ya, there was a lot of complaining about the smc connectors. i never found it to be that bad personally since you don't need to really disconnect cables for home usage.

For portable usage, I think the 2.5mm is definitely a lot more ideal.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #6,389 of 14,653
  These QC problems have been discussed on HFM threads for the past few years without fail................and yet we still buy them. 

Only difference is the cost of the headphones. 

M​akes me wonder what the heck is wrong with them that they don't have enough professionalism to improve in the quality control arena. Very sad.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #6,390 of 14,653

M​akes me wonder what the heck is wrong with them that they don't have enough professionalism to improve in the quality control arena. Very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back