Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #4,891 of 14,805
I definitely feel more enlightened and educated!!!! :)

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,893 of 14,805
Has anyone worn the HE1000 on a long flight?  Source used and how did the ears hold up?
Thanks.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4,894 of 14,805
  Has anyone worn the HE1000 on a long flight?  Source used and how did the ears hold up?  For the love of Gad why?
Thanks.

FTFY 
biggrin.gif

O right duty free I getcha.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,895 of 14,805

FTFY 
biggrin.gif

O right duty free I getcha.

I have gone through Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, LAX, and New York recently and no Duty Frees have the HE1000 as yet.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #4,896 of 14,805

I have gone through Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, LAX, and New York recently and no Duty Frees have the HE1000 as yet.

Yeah not much chance of that, but I think may be able to drop by hifi store overseas XD

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,897 of 14,805

Yeah not much chance of that, but I think may be able to drop by hifi store overseas XD

They have it in the HP shops in Hong Kong. No problem sampling them too.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #4,898 of 14,805
How are the pads on the HE1000?  They like the HD800 or hard leather like K812?
Thanks.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,899 of 14,805
InnerFidelity.com posted this for the pre-production model.  Does anyone knows if there is one for a current model?
Thanks.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE1000PreProduction.pdf

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4,900 of 14,805

I don't have any experience with HiFiMan headphones, but with other orthodynamics – speakers and headphones. All of them have shown distinct reflection artifacts – a reason why I have lost interest in them (and designed a ribbon-like transformerless planar driver virtually free of reflections when I was into speakers). Now my concern is how much these artifacts play in the foreground in the case of the HE1000. No headphone can avoid inner reflections and no patents get rid of them, and we're not talking of minimal reflections in the case at hand, since the magnet bars seem to cover about 70% of the back of the sound producing membrane (with a lesser percentage at the front) at a distance of 1 mm or the like.

I wouldn't expect people to report «problematic reflections», since they're a common component of headphones, and most people don't seem to be sensitive to them. I am.

Like I said earlier, members who have had ample experience with Hifiman headphones or other planars, and dealing with chamber reflections in them, didn't report any artifacts in the HE-1000. If it's inaudible by virtually everyone then it doesn't interest me. The beta would be a complete failure if there were any unreported blatant problems. You claim to have designed a "ribbon-like transformerless planar driver virtually free of reflections", Hifiman's claim with their nano-driver and blinds grill is similar, but perhaps the main difference is that many people have tried it and it's available in the market. Pardon me if your design is an actual product though, in which case naming it would be interesting.

Well, I'd encourage you to try the HE-1000 and report your findings before dismissing their claims.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #4,901 of 14,805

Like I said earlier, members who have had ample experience with Hifiman headphones or other planars, and dealing with chamber reflections in them, didn't report any artifacts in the HE-1000. If it's inaudible by virtually everyone then it doesn't interest me. The beta would be a complete failure if there were any unreported blatant problems. You claim to have designed a "ribbon-like transformerless planar driver virtually free of reflections", Hifiman's claim with their nano-driver and blinds grill is similar, but perhaps the main difference is that many people have tried it and it's available in the market. Pardon me if your design is an actual product though, in which case naming it would be interesting.

Well, I'd encourage you to try the HE-1000 and report your findings before dismissing their claims.

I will definitely audition the HE1000, as I'm interested in it from a technical perspective (large membrane area, ultra-lightweight membrane, special magnet array) and the reports – and that's why I'm active in this thread.

As mentioned, all headphones suffer more of less from inner reflections, and e.g. the HD 800 is no exception – therefore my mod which has been adapted and now runs under the trademark «Anaxilus». Magnet bars behind and in most cases also in front of the membrane are a necessary evil in planar magnetic drivers, as are stator grids in electrostatic drivers – and both produce reflections of somewhat different characteristics. Even classic dynamic drivers produce various kinds of unavoidable reflections, and be it just those between membrane and ear in the ideal case (which doesn't exist, though). All those reflections are probably not perceived as such because they're unavoidable and present in every single headphone, so everyone is used to them. But the orthodynamic headphones I have experience with suffered from the most obtrusive kind to my ears, threfore my skepticism, although actually it has always been a favored transducer principle for me.

The ideal would be a ribbon-like transducer without any magnet bars directly in the radiation area (Setmenu has built a headphone on the basis of homegrown ribbon transducers). My own hobbyist occupation with speaker building has led me to this kind of transducer as well. It can effectively be called virtually free of reflections, if you take classic speaker designs as a measure. Also with classic dome tweeters (also homegrown) and cone woofers I have always taken care for minimal reflections on housings and driver components, internally and externally. And of course with my electrostats on the basis of Stax Lambda Pro and Signature Pro. So I know what I'm talking about and what the absense of obtrusive reflections means for depth of image and imaging generally – we're talking of accuracy here, a signal reproduction as unsmeared as possible in the time domain.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #4,902 of 14,805
  InnerFidelity.com posted this for the pre-production model.  Does anyone knows if there is one for a current model?
Thanks.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE1000PreProduction.pdf

It's always a challenge to read measurements, but these look really promising.  I'm sure Tyll will have a lot to say once he finishes his super summit shoot out.  I assume he's using a production HE1000.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4,903 of 14,805
  How are the pads on the HE1000?  They like the HD800 or hard leather like K812?
Thanks.

Neither.  They are soft leather (pleather?) on the inside and outside edges.  The foam inside is quite soft.  The portion in contact with your face is velour.  The pads are large because of the size of the ear cups but some, myself included, feel they could be a bit deeper.  However, even for people with gigantic heads, like myself, the ears have plenty of room.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,904 of 14,805
  Neither.  They are soft leather (pleather?) on the inside and outside edges.  The foam inside is quite soft.  The portion in contact with your face is velour.  The pads are large because of the size of the ear cups but some, myself included, feel they could be a bit deeper.  However, even for people with gigantic heads, like myself, the ears have plenty of room.

Thanks.  Any issues with eyeglasses?

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,905 of 14,805

Users who are viewing this thread

Back