Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,631 of 14,653
Cross-posting this from the other 1000 thread:

Just came back from the Vancouver Audio Show 15 and got a chance to demo the HE1000. Thanks for the Heads(fi)-up Peter otherwise I would have totally missed it.
First off handling the HE1000 felt exactly like I thought it would from the pictures -- lighter than I figured, being used to wearing the HE-500 it felt like it was comparatively much lighter, very comfy and well-cushioned.

Sound wise this is quite difficult to zero-in on with demo set-ups even though I came away with a few impressions (below). Hifi Centre, who are going to be carrying the HE1000, were driving them balanced with an Auralic Taurus headphone amp. They also had the HE-560 accessing the same source but driven by the Hifiman EF100, so a quick side-by-side comparison of the two headphones was possible. I mostly listened to James Blake's 'Limit To Your Love' since I wanted to test the bass out. I also listened to some other tracks that don't particularly stand out. Against the HE1000 the HE560 sounded a bit edgy or perhaps strident (that's the word that came to mind). But having extensively listened to the 560 before I would say this was probably due to the amp. One just comes up against the shortcomings of demo set ups here.

The HE1000 sounded incredibly full, perhaps enveloping is the word vs the 560. It just felt like listening to speakers in an acoustically treated room (ala HE1000) (there were so many speaker audio rooms at the show), vs a room full of interrupters. Bass was incredible, didn't feel like the 1000s were breaking any sweat with the James Blake track. Detail was all there but I would put the 1000 on the warm side of detail.

I really would have loved to try the HE1000 with my own set up using familiar parameters, but the headphone really impressed and gave the sense of being miles ahead of the 560. P.S. Couldn't get the 560 to simultaneously play from the 1/4 inch headphone out of the Auralic Taurus which would have been a better comparison.

May 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,632 of 14,653
I've bought a lot of stuff from Drew Baird at Moon Audio. He can make just about anything you want as far as length and I plan on getting these HE-1000s with one of his specialty cords. I like how he treats me and he's very helpful with advice. Bought a pre-amp for my TT and other non-head-fi related stuff from him too.  

I have bought a lot from Frank at Toxic, namely a cord form y JH Roxanne's, but he'll be on vacation starting next week for the summer so I'd rather not wait the entire gestation period for a human before I get my cables...
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,633 of 14,653
Are beta testers on this program allowed to provide us with reviews/feedbacks? or is it prohibited under their T&C?

would love to hear what others who have it has to say or maybe some more pics too.

Thanks

May 10, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,634 of 14,653
I've bought a lot of stuff from Drew Baird at Moon Audio. He can make just about anything you want as far as length and I plan on getting these HE-1000s with one of his specialty cords. I like how he treats me and he's very helpful with advice. Bought a pre-amp for my TT and other non-head-fi related stuff from him too.  

I have bought a lot from Frank at Toxic, namely a cord form y JH Roxanne's, but he'll be on vacation starting next week for the summer so I'd rather not wait the entire gestation period for a human before I get my cables...
biggrin.gif

Yeah I was buying cables for a while (Q Audio, WyWires Red I still use) but have never really noticed them to make much, if any, difference in the sound quality. So as long as the length and comfort are good I will probably just stick with stock cables from now on.

May 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #3,635 of 14,653

Just came back from the Vancouver Audio Show 15 and got a chance to demo the HE1000. Thanks for the Heads(fi)-up Peter otherwise I would have totally missed it.
First off handling the HE1000 felt exactly like I thought it would from the pictures -- lighter than I figured, being used to wearing the HE-500 it felt like it was comparatively much lighter, very comfy and well-cushioned.

Sound wise this is quite difficult to zero-in on with demo set-ups even though I came away with a few impressions (below). Hifi Centre, who are going to be carrying the HE1000, were driving them balanced with an Auralic Taurus headphone amp. They also had the HE-560 accessing the same source but driven by the Hifiman EF100, so a quick side-by-side comparison of the two headphones was possible. I mostly listened to James Blake's 'Limit To Your Love' since I wanted to test the bass out. I also listened to some other tracks that don't particularly stand out. Against the HE1000 the HE560 sounded a bit edgy or perhaps strident (that's the word that came to mind). But having extensively listened to the 560 before I would say this was probably due to the amp. One just comes up against the shortcomings of demo set ups here.

The HE1000 sounded incredibly full, perhaps enveloping is the word vs the 560. It just felt like listening to speakers in an acoustically treated room (ala HE1000) (there were so many speaker audio rooms at the show), vs a room full of interrupters. Bass was incredible, didn't feel like the 1000s were breaking any sweat with the James Blake track. Detail was all there but I would put the 1000 on the warm side of detail.

I really would have loved to try the HE1000 with my own set up using familiar parameters, but the headphone really impressed and gave the sense of being miles ahead of the 560. P.S. Couldn't get the 560 to simultaneously play from the 1/4 inch headphone out of the Auralic Taurus which would have been a better comparison.

Do you know waht the source was? Just out of curiosity what do you usually use the HE-560 with? I have the HE-560 now so this definitely sounds promising to me...

May 11, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,637 of 14,653
I have a drinking rocking chair. Cause I can't sit still with these things on sometimes!

May 11, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #3,639 of 14,653
The most underrated part of the audio room. Anyone rocking lazy boy?
Sole reason why I'm not into desktop gears anymore, couldn't use my Lazboy with them.

May 11, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3,640 of 14,653

If the HE-1000s are on the warm side, my classical music is not going to like them!

May 11, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #3,641 of 14,653

Damn YES!!! It's the drinking/relaxing chair within easy reach of the HeadFi gear that makes life worth living...

Yeah, the chair is one of the most important parts of a Head-Fi setup! My dream chair is the Herman Miller Eames chair, but my reality in an Ikea Ponang, lol, just about $5000 dollar difference in cost, but we can all dream can't we.

May 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #3,642 of 14,653
The source was an Auralic Vega DSD Dac drawing files from an iPad mini if my memory is correct. Don't own an HE560 but had it in-house for an extended comparison to my HE-500 which I have driven via various speaker amps. Currently using a Pioneer SA9500II as a power amp.

Quote:
  Do you know waht the source was? Just out of curiosity what do you usually use the HE-560 with? I have the HE-560 now so this definitely sounds promising to me...

May 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #3,643 of 14,653

If the HE-1000s are on the warm side, my classical music is not going to like them!

Just my impression and this was only in comparison to the HE560 which was being driven by the EF100 which I felt was somewhat strident vs the more enveloping sound of the HE1000.I wouldn't describe the HE1000 as a warm headphone (looking at you HD650). Still as things go, I would say it is solidly neutral, but if one took a magnifying glass to that dividing line the HE1000 dot would be on warm side of the line; that still doesn't qualify it to be classed as a warm headphone, it would still be classed as neutral.

May 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,644 of 14,653

The HE1000s are not warm. I think they are quite neutral, with a very slight emphasis on the treble. They are great for classical (and anything else) IMHO. 

May 11, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #3,645 of 14,653
Mine arrived. I'm comparing them to the Ethers primarily. The HE1000s are more "around your head" while the Ethers are more "in your head". The deep bass seems to really rumble and they are already picking up micro details which I hadn't noticed on some tracks. The treble is a tiny bit irritating, but I don't know if they need some use before this will change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back