Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #14,446 of 14,685
Haha!!!!!!! Yes I always wondered why headphones went from 20hz to 20khz……and some even broader…..
I wish i could get more out of 20hz, i can hear it but it's faint. 49 year old ears with all the concerts and car stereo insanity i had back in the 90's-00's I can't complain at all; the old ears are still doing pretty damn well considering it all.
When I EQ (really only on Neutron Player with rap if i want some thunder for a bit) i boost 35hz and 65hz which gives a pleasant sub-bass, and a little in the 2k-3k to make sure i don't hurt my mids.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #14,447 of 14,685
Yep.
We hear with the hairs in our ear canals. Everybody's hair is at slightly different angles in ear canals that vary in length, width, and the angles at which they turn, etc. Then there are the differences in how our brains interpret that data.
There's millions of minute variables at play and it's great that we have various tunes and chains to find what best fits our ears and brains.
And then you can add "taste" into it as well bc we all have preferences.

All of that is what makes this hobby fun to me; solving the puzzle.
It’s funny you say that as I hear whisky being poured completely differently to others. Most other people report that it comes out of the bottle and they hear it splashing against the glass or hitting an ice cube. All I hear is it whacking against the back of my throat……..😂

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #14,448 of 14,685
It’s funny you say that as I hear whisky being poured completely differently to others. Most other people report that it comes out of the bottle and they hear it splashing against the glass or hitting an ice cube. All I hear is it whacking against the back of my throat……..😂
:L3000:

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #14,449 of 14,685
I wish i could get more out of 20hz, i can hear it but it's faint. 49 year old ears with all the concerts and car stereo insanity i had back in the 90's-00's I can't complain at all; the old ears are still doing pretty damn well considering it all.
When I EQ (really only on Neutron Player with rap if i want some thunder for a bit) i boost 35hz and 65hz which gives a pleasant sub-bass, and a little in the 2k-3k to make sure i don't hurt my mids.
Bloody hell-I’m 53 and can barely hear 33htz……, too many metal concerts snd loyd headphone listening……

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #14,450 of 14,685
Bloody hell-I’m 53 and can barely hear 33htz……, too many metal concerts snd loyd headphone listening……
for you i'd boost 45hz and 80 hz

but yeah the Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Tool , etc Concerts definitely didnt help me. Or, maybe it did for treble lolol.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #14,451 of 14,685
for you i'd boost 45hz and 80 hz

but yeah the Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Tool , etc Concerts definitely didnt help me. Or, maybe it did for treble lolol.
Haha-for me it was Metallica, maiden, helloween, Dragonforce, kamel ot, stratovarious, sonata arctica, Yngwie malmsteen etc.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #14,452 of 14,685
Haha-for me it was Metallica, maiden, helloween, Dragonforce, kamel ot, stratovarious, sonata arctica, Yngwie malmsteen etc.
i forgot Iron Maiden. I saw the Seventh Son tour when i was like 15. Awesome concert.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #14,454 of 14,685
The brightness on the Stealth that a lot us experienced, is it caused by how revealing the DAC or amp is? or maybe the mixing of some recordings?
For my set up, Lampizator big7 - a tube dac (delta/sigma), v222 (a lot find it warm sounding) - I find the treble a bit too much on some System of the down albums. But on Billie Eilish "Happier than ever", no issue with treble at all.
Music source also had slight difference for me. Cayin N8 player as a source would sound tighter and warmer compared to PC.

I find HE1000 Stealth really impressive as it scales on front end chain very well and changes are obvious.
Can also try to compare original recordings of album vs re-mastered ones, sometimes the original is better suited with your set up.

1710864536617.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #14,455 of 14,685
The brightness on the Stealth that a lot us experienced, is it caused by how revealing the DAC or amp is? or maybe the mixing of some recordings?
For my set up, Lampizator big7 - a tube dac (delta/sigma), v222 (a lot find it warm sounding) - I find the treble a bit too much on some System of the down albums. But on Billie Eilish "Happier than ever", no issue with treble at all.
Music source also had slight difference for me. Cayin N8 player as a source would sound tighter and warmer compared to PC.

I find HE1000 Stealth really impressive as it scales on front end chain very well and changes are obvious.
Can also try to compare original recordings of album vs re-mastered ones, sometimes the original is better suited with your set up.

1710864536617.jpeg
For me, it’s my amp. The brightness is much more subdued on the Flux Mentor compared to my Schiit MJ3. Sibilance is mostly gone too.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #14,456 of 14,685
For me, it’s my amp. The brightness is much more subdued on the Flux Mentor compared to my Schiit MJ3. Sibilance is mostly gone too.
I also found the MJ3 to be a little shrill at times.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #14,457 of 14,685
DAMN SON

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #14,458 of 14,685

Ok I'm in about 5 wrong threads now but just played this on Tidal with MY JM closeds, via Topping G5 portable via Tidal streaming from Galazy S24+ (LDAC) and OMG - this is amazing to test out cans and gear!!!!!!!!! Clarity, authority, bass, bass and bass for days. WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks DAMN SON!!!!!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #14,459 of 14,685
Ok I'm in about 5 wrong threads now but just played this on Tidal with MY JM closeds, via Topping G5 portable via Tidal streaming from Galazy S24+ (LDAC) and OMG - this is amazing to test out cans and gear!!!!!!!!! Clarity, authority, bass, bass and bass for days. WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks DAMN SON!!!!!!
Yeah it sounds so damn good on HeKs. The texture and tightness of the bass and the sheer amount of details it's able to serve up is astonishing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back