Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 26, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #11,176 of 14,685
No, it's about the original one. The SE doesn't come close at all. The HE-6 hits way harder, is more tactile, thunderous, lively, bass hits like Tyson on a good amp. Just a unique, dense and powerful experience.
The HEK's are way softer and more relaxed. Which is a nice thing btw. I love the Hevk2 for its unique presentation. I used to like the HEKv1 most out of the HEKs but HEKv2 won my heart over.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #11,178 of 14,685
So what is different about the HE-6 compared to other HFM? These are the ones that are marked way down right? Like $600-ish?
They are very different from HEKV2, punchier and more dynamic, not as hyper detailed, spacious, or refined, but much more fun, also more technical than most if not all phones ~$1K category.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #11,179 of 14,685
Typos. Of course I mean HEKv1 and HEKv2 (as in the first HE-1000 and the updated v2 version).

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #11,180 of 14,685
What do you think of the Susvara in comparison of the 1000? I keep debating if I should consider trying to get these some day and keep questioning if it would really be worth the cost.
The Susvara's are as good as advertised when powered properly. Driving the properly is only half of the story. Once you get an amp that you feel can drive them, now you have to figure in tone. Bright or neutral amps can make the Susvara's sound thin and lifeless. The Susvara sounded best to me with a warm amp with a fuller sound. It got to the point where I was more concerned about the amp I had the Susvara connected to than Susvara's themselves. So I sold them and went back to the HEKse's and couldn't have been happier. Finally I could just enjoy listening to music.

The Susvara's are more natural and more effortless sounding. They are also slightly smoother. The HEKse's have a more dynamic, snappy, and lively presentation with more sub bass. The HEKse's sound more open and airy due to the treble tuning. The Susvara's sound more holographic, ethereal and fast. I thought the HEKse's were a better all around headphone due to their fun tuning. The Susvara sounded best with instrumentals, acoustic, and classical genres to my ears. They lacked oomph and drive when I wanted to listen to some R&B, reggae, and metal music.

Don't get me wrong the Susvara's aren't bass light they just did not have the energy I liked when listening to any that did not have an instrumental focus. The HEKse's easier to drive status lets me enjoy them out of anything and I get the best of them all the time. The Susvara's need the best of everything and I got tired of amp chasing. So the HEKse's ended up staying and the Susvara's left the stable.

Oddly enough, the HEK V2's have some of the Susvara's ethereal and natural sound to them. More so than the HEKse's. This is a big reason I'm adding them back to my collection. The HEKse's are something different and one of the best headphones I own. The HEK V2's are a nice change of pace and aren't as energetic sounding.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #11,181 of 14,685
What do you think of the Susvara in comparison of the 1000? I keep debating if I should consider trying to get these some day and keep questioning if it would really be worth the cost.
Imho if you can afford it and if you highly value an extremely high level of transparency and naturalness then the susvaras and a powerful suitable amp are worth considering.

if not, then probably not worth the spend for you and you are doing very well with a hekv2 or se. Or maybe a utopia, as another example

personally i was after exactly what the susvara gives. I bought the niimbus us4 and ausvaras and have never looked back or found a hp that surpasses the susvaras and have had no inclination to look at another amp.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #11,182 of 14,685
No, it's about the original one. The SE doesn't come close at all. The HE-6 hits way harder, is more tactile, thunderous, lively, bass hits like Tyson on a good amp. Just a unique, dense and powerful experience.
The HEK's are way softer and more relaxed. Which is a nice thing btw. I love the Hevk2 for its unique presentation. I used to like the HEKv1 most out of the HEKs but HEKv2 won my heart over.
I wish to hear an OG HE-1000 and HE-6 one day... 🥲

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #11,183 of 14,685
Don't get me wrong the Susvara's aren't bass light they just did not have the energy I liked when listening to any that did not have an instrumental focus. The HEKse's easier to drive status lets me enjoy them out of anything and I get the best of them all the time. The Susvara's need the best of everything and I got tired of amp chasing. So the HEKse's ended up staying and the Susvara's left the stable.

Oddly enough, the HEK V2's have some of the Susvara's ethereal and natural sound to them. More so than the HEKse's. This is a big reason I'm adding them back to my collection. The HEKse's are something different and one of the best headphones I own. The HEK V2's are a nice change of pace and aren't as energetic sounding.
That's actually how I feel about HEKV2 as well. Ethereal and natural, but more suitable for acoustic and instrumental focused music. I love them for vocal, jazz, singer songwriter stuff. But as you say they lack that "energy" or engagement factor to be a all rounder (amp also plays a big factor with how it sounds). But it's great for a relaxing listen. Arya V2 is better in that regard, but slightly less technical and refined.

I'm considering getting the HEKSE if I don't like the new HE1000 Stealth.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #11,184 of 14,685
That's actually how I feel about HEKV2 as well. Ethereal and natural, but more suitable for acoustic and instrumental focused music. I love them for vocal, jazz, singer songwriter stuff. But as you say they lack that "energy" or engagement factor to be a all rounder (amp also plays a big factor with how it sounds). But it's great for a relaxing listen. Arya V2 is better in that regard, but slightly less technical and refined.

I'm considering getting the HEKSE if I don't like the new HE1000 Stealth.
I’ve loved my v2 for all kinds of music. They do excel on acoustic type music but I find them really good for rock, electronic leaning stuff, etc. but the only other HFM I’ve heard is the original Ananda so no sense of comparison to other $1000+ models to know if I’d like something else more for other genres. The only other can I’ve tried was the Focal Clear. It was way too boxed in for my tastes. I like the expansiveness of my V2. I’ve been considering trying other cans be it HFM or something else but also don’t wanna waste a bunch of money.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #11,185 of 14,685
After auditioning the HE1000 Stealth and Arya V2 for nearly a month now, I think I prefer the Arya overall but I can't get myself to selling the HEK-S because I admire it's technical attributes as well. However I don't want to keep 2 planar headphones that are quite similar in relative terms. So I bought the HE1000v2 in hopes that it will replace both. I will report back on what I find.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #11,186 of 14,685
After auditioning the HE1000 Stealth and Arya V2 for nearly a month now, I think I prefer the Arya overall but I can't get myself to selling the HEK-S because I admire it's technical attributes as well. However I don't want to keep 2 planar headphones that are quite similar in relative terms. So I bought the HE1000v2 in hopes that it will replace both. I will report back on what I find.
Did you buy HE1000v2 Stealth or OG?

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #11,189 of 14,685
3.5mm

I think 2.5mm connectors were on the V1 and early production V2 only. They moved on to 3.5mm like 4-5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back