Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #8,701 of 14,804
  Most people who reporting significant changes were given the "lucky upgrade opportunity" for free. They have to write a review for compensation. Another food for thought: Would you write in this Situation, stating that there was no significant difference, or even that you liked V1 more? :wink: Also keep in mind that they were waiting for their V2 for several weeks and did not have the chance to compare V1 and V2 directly. Getting my HEK back finally after some time I also would like its sound very, very much! :)

My understanding is that the lucky upgrade winners don't have to return their v1 until after they receive their v2.  Only people paying for the upgrade have to return the v1 prior to receiving their v2.

I don't see how the assumption of 'compensation' is valid in that scenario.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #8,702 of 14,804
  Most people who reporting significant changes were given the "lucky upgrade opportunity" for free. They have to write a review for compensation. Another food for thought: Would you write in this Situation, stating that there was no significant difference, or even that you liked V1 more? :wink: Also keep in mind that they were waiting for their V2 for several weeks and did not have the chance to compare V1 and V2 directly. Getting my HEK back finally after some time I also would like its sound very, very much! :)

My understanding is that the lucky upgrade winners don't have to return their v1 until after they receive their v2.  Only people paying for the upgrade have to return the v1 prior to receiving their v2.

I don't see how the assumption of 'compensation' is valid in that scenario.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #8,703 of 14,804

So its been 5 weeks since i sent my v1s for an upgrade, and i finally got the v2s in today :)
Really nice packing, still no idea if it was worth the upgrade for now but i guess time will tell. Looking forward to breaking these in!

Time for some post christmas listening:)
Cheers!

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,704 of 14,804
  It seems to me that the type and quality of the source and amplifier are overlooked in the decision to upgrade or not upgrade.  Are the people who are claiming significant improvements in v2 listening on superior systems?  Are people finding minimal difference listening on systems that are incapable of resolving more subtle changes.

Food for thought.

No, there have been no changes at all and this is on 2 completely independent systems (one tubed, one solid state). I had to send in my V1 and wait a month or 2 for my V2.
The V1 had some brittleness and tinnyness and a less full bass and the images seemed smaller. The V2 highs are silkier. And everything is "plumper."

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #8,705 of 14,804
I had the chance to compare the V1 and V2 side by side on the same set-up (Chord Dave and EC Studio) around a month ago. To me, the main difference was V2 had a better imaging and sounds more dynamic. The difference was very obvious to me. If you find HE1000 too smooth and laid-back, then you should go for the upgrade. If not, just stick to the sound you love. For me, I prefer the V2 sound which is closer to what I like about Focal Utopia, so I just had my V1 upgraded.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,707 of 14,804
Hi guys. I look on this forum quite a bit but tend not to post much.
Now I would like some guidance please. I have had my HE1000 for over a year now. At the time I auditioned the HD800 too and plumped for the HEK as I felt it was a better all rounder.
I am now looking to maybe upgrade my cable. Problem is I need 12ft at least as hifi quite a distance from my couch.
If there is one thing I would like to improve its that sometimes I find the top end a little bright/harsh. I know that my ears are not what they used to be, but I use a Devialet 200 , Melco, Auralic Taurus MKII and it is an incredibly detailed combination.
I have looked over past posts and Norne, Silver Dragon and Toxic cables all seem to get a recommendation. I bought a new cable when i got the HEK as I needed extra length but I only spent about £100 as didnt have the budget back then.

I probably do not want to spend more than £600 say, but getting it right is more important I guess as I do more and more listening through headphones now. I am in the UK.

Any guidance really appreciated.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #8,708 of 14,804
  If there is one thing I would like to improve its that sometimes I find the top end a little bright/harsh. I know that my ears are not what they used to be, but I use a Devialet 200 , Melco, Auralic Taurus MKII and it is an incredibly detailed combination.
I have looked over past posts and Norne, Silver Dragon and Toxic cables all seem to get a recommendation. I bought a new cable when i got the HEK as I needed extra length but I only spent about £100 as didnt have the budget back then.

I probably do not want to spend more than £600 say, but getting it right is more important I guess as I do more and more listening through headphones now. I am in the UK.

I have a Silver Dragon V3 and like it, but I feel that it slightly emphasizes the treble region compared to the stock cable, which may not be to your liking. I would expect a good copper cable to be more suitable in your case and it would also be easier to stay below your price limit.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,709 of 14,804
  Hi guys. I look on this forum quite a bit but tend not to post much.
Now I would like some guidance please. I have had my HE1000 for over a year now. At the time I auditioned the HD800 too and plumped for the HEK as I felt it was a better all rounder.
I am now looking to maybe upgrade my cable. Problem is I need 12ft at least as hifi quite a distance from my couch.

Any guidance really appreciated.

Find yourself a quality OCC copper litz cable with good insulation.  The more wires, the better. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,712 of 14,804
  what is dynamics even supposed to mean? People use it to describe headphones all the time but it doesn't give me a visual representation of what it's supposed to mean

Puchier with more energy. The originals were a tad too laid back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back