Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #8,686 of 14,802
Oooooh Boi!

Zeos review of the HEK's is finally up. 
popcorn.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW2OKfzSmg

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #8,688 of 14,802
Zeos wasn't that high on the HD800 either, remember Zeo's favorite headphone is the AD2000X, most of his favorite cans are one's tuned for Japanese pop, so naturally he's going to favor Stax/Audio Technica/Fostex-derived cans first and foremost. He also seems to dislike large soundstages.

I think his ideal can is going to be mid-forward cans with a medium to small soundstage and large earpads.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #8,689 of 14,802
  Zeos wasn't that high on the HD800 either, remember Zeo's favorite headphone is the AD2000X, most of his favorite cans are one's tuned for Japanese pop, so naturally he's going to favor Stax/Audio Technica/Fostex-derived cans first and foremost. He also seems to dislike large soundstages.

I think his ideal can is going to be mid-forward cans with a medium to small soundstage and large earpads.

The X1/X2's have a bigger soundstage than the HEK???

rolleyes.gif

Always entertaining that Zeos.  

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #8,691 of 14,802
The $650 question...

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #8,692 of 14,802
I'd like to tack onto that ... any buyer's remorse from those that did the upgrade?

I supposed there is a V2 thread and this should be searched for or asked in that.

Edit: just found the official V2 announcement thread and that's an absolute sh1t show created within it 'bout wanting the new pads alone. So don't bother there. I like the old pads. Would just want more slam/attack. So I dunno about this upgrade.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #8,693 of 14,802
I'd like to tack onto that ... any buyer's remorse from those that did the upgrade?

I supposed there is a V2 thread and this should be searched for or asked in that.

Edit: just found the official V2 announcement thread and that's an absolute sh1t show created within it 'bout wanting the new pads alone. So don't bother there. I like the old pads. Would just want more slam/attack. So I dunno about this upgrade.

​Make sure that you do not need anything from Hifiman in the future. The V1 is ok for me soundwise. However, I asked Hifiman customer service politely for V2 pads or some other proposal, because I have an allergy problem with their V1 pads. As a second owner of the HEK V1, I am not allowed for the upgrade to V2. This was the reason to ask them for the V2 pads. They simply ignore my emails and do not talk to me at all. I do not know any other company on this planet that just ignores its CUSTOMERS like this. Incredible!

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #8,694 of 14,802
I'd be pissed too I guess.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #8,695 of 14,802

...because I have an allergy problem with their V1 pads.

I cannot listen tp my V1 for more than 20mins due to the itch with the velour pad material. HFM refuses to sell the V2 microfibre pads to me unless I folk out $650 (more like $900 total cost incl shipping, insurance and asking customers to lie on the custom declaration form) for them. Perhaps they know that most of the sound upgrade comes from merely switching the pads itself instead we are asked to pay for the useless cable upgrades, headband upgrade for a ridiculous sum after having folk out near $3,000 for the headphone itself. What a farce of a company...

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #8,696 of 14,802
  Is v2 a lot better than v1? Worth upgrading?

For me the V2 throw a larger soundstage and it is out in front of you a little more than V1. Also the imaging is a little bette. The overall tonal quality is better. Notice I say a little. The changes are small but in the right direction. The headband also works better. I am sorry to read that some can't get the ear pads. I don't understand why they wouldn't be available. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,698 of 14,802
It seems to me that the type and quality of the source and amplifier are overlooked in the decision to upgrade or not upgrade.  Are the people who are claiming significant improvements in v2 listening on superior systems?  Are people finding minimal difference listening on systems that are incapable of resolving more subtle changes.

Food for thought.

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8,699 of 14,802
Most people who reporting significant changes were given the "lucky upgrade opportunity" for free. They have to write a review for compensation. Another food for thought: Would you write in this Situation, stating that there was no significant difference, or even that you liked V1 more? :wink: Also keep in mind that they were waiting for their V2 for several weeks and did not have the chance to compare V1 and V2 directly. Getting my HEK back finally after some time I also would like its sound very, very much! :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #8,700 of 14,802
Hard to figure... Some ears I trust fund a big difference. I spoke to dealers at the NY Audio Show, they told me the difference was minimal. Headband between able to compare head to head myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back