Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 21, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #7,876 of 14,798
  I'm wondering for other HifiMan HEK owners out there what AMPs they have landed on to drive these cans. I've tried the burson Conductor (found it a little thin/lean and too bright) and the King Amp from Audeze and also thought it lacked punch/warmth bass, too. I've tried with multiple sources including Sony HAP-Z1ES, and Tidal

Having browsed this forum a bit it seems the following amps come up with some regularity as a good match, but I'm interested in knowing updates on what's been working best/consistently as I prioritize finding a good match:

• Chord Hugo TT
• Chord Dave (beyond my budget here but listing b/c it's come up a lot here)
• ALO Studio Six
• Schiit Yggdrasil/Mjolnir Combo

Are there any favorites for folks beyond this list? I'm looking for something up to $5k

Thanks in advance.
sg

mmm......the HEK and Chord TT will always be my top choice. Unique advantage: none of the competing products are transportable and off-grid, whereas the Chord TT is a top-notch amp/dac with the HEK (and other HPs) that I can bring with me and enjoy anywhere I go (home , work or vacation). Another advantage: you can simultaneously plug 3 headphones and enjoy 3 different headphone experience.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #7,877 of 14,798
Just got the HEK and it sounds amazing with the Edfie Current Zana Deux but is indeed somewhat underpowered. I could easily live with this combo but now thinking about an upgrade to the highly rated ALO studio 6 that has multiple outputs and can drive several headphones at once and doesn't get nearly at hot to touch as the ZD.

My other option is the MacIntosh MHA 100 that may be a more versatile beast as it can drive bookshelf speakers and has a built in DAC, also highly rated for the HEK. Will need to listen to both. Has anyone done this comparison yet?

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #7,878 of 14,798
  I'm wondering for other HifiMan HEK owners out there what AMPs they have landed on to drive these cans. I've tried the burson Conductor (found it a little thin/lean and too bright) and the King Amp from Audeze and also thought it lacked punch/warmth bass, too. I've tried with multiple sources including Sony HAP-Z1ES, and Tidal

Having browsed this forum a bit it seems the following amps come up with some regularity as a good match, but I'm interested in knowing updates on what's been working best/consistently as I prioritize finding a good match:

• Chord Hugo TT
• Chord Dave (beyond my budget here but listing b/c it's come up a lot here)
• ALO Studio Six
• Schiit Yggdrasil/Mjolnir Combo

Are there any favorites for folks beyond this list? I'm looking for something up to $5k

Thanks in advance.
sg

McIntosh MHA1000 
Wells Audio Enigma 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #7,879 of 14,798
Just got the HEK and it sounds amazing with the Edfie Current Zana Deux but is indeed somewhat underpowered. I could easily live with this combo but now thinking about an upgrade to the highly rated ALO studio 6 that has multiple outputs and can drive several headphones at once and doesn't get nearly at hot to touch as the ZD.

My other option is the MacIntosh MHA 100 that may be a more versatile beast as it can drive bookshelf speakers and has a built in DAC, also highly rated for the HEK. Will need to listen to both. Has anyone done this comparison yet?

I'd recommend holding off on upgrading unless cost is of no issue to you.  What you'll get with a more powerful amp is a slightly more realistic presentation due to better dynamics and technicalities.  What you may lose with a more powerful amp is the synergy that exists with the ZD and HEK.  

Quite honestly, I find the ZD less harsh than the LAu at louder volumes because unlike the LAu, it does not have hyper sharp precision.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #7,887 of 14,798
Please, give me some comparison between HE1K and LCD XC

That's a really tough comparison, particularly complex because the HE1K is open and the LCD XC is closed.

Have you heard either of these? Even a comparison between the HE1K and LCD-X is easier - LCD-X is a little less airy up top, and definitely more shallow on the soundstage. But it has an upper bass impact that many people enjoy, for added punch in pop music. But even comparing the closed LCD-XC against its open LCD-X brother, I personally don't have enough head time to describe. I liked the LCD-XC, but wow - hope someone else can help you there.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #7,888 of 14,798
Please, give me some comparison between HE1K and LCD XC

At a local meet this year, myself and a few others had the opportunity to do a direct comparison between the HEK, LCD-XC, and LCD-X.  All headphones were driven with either the DNA Stratus or the Moth Audio 2A3 with audio sourced by a Cary 306 SACD player.  The CD contained a mix of music which consisted of many different genres

Believe it or not, it was about an even split for those that preferred the HEK vs. those that preferred the LCD-XC (about 7 different listeners).  Most listeners agreed that the LCD-X just didn't sound as good as the other two offerings.

I fell in the camp that preferred the HEK so my opinions may be slightly biased, but here are some of the pros and cons that I noticed when A/Bing the two:

HEK:

+ Spaciousness
+ Closer to subwoofer sounding bass
+ Very natural and realistic tonality (Especially with vocal centric music)
+ Very comfortable
+ More euphonic

- Softer mids
- Didn't work as well with some tube combinations
- Not the last word in detail
- Doesn't hit as hard and is not as engaging at lower listening levels
- Expensive

LCD-XC:

+ Better at presenting micro-detail (at lower and normal listening levels)
+ Better with Rock and very high energy tracks
+ Sounded pretty good regardless of tube configuration
+ Cheaper than the HEK by quite a bit

- More artificial sounding tonality
- Heavy and uncomfortable 
- Bass had a bit of reverb/echo effect
- Doesn't sound 'closed-in' unless A/Bing and particularly against HEK or HD800

Hope this helps.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,889 of 14,798
I second the DNA Stratus recommendation. It drives the HE1K with aplomb. Contrary to some of the sentiments on here, the Yggy does the HE1K justice. I've heard the Chord Dave, and would take the Yggy over the Cord Dave any day in this system, but I would consider a Lampi B7/TotoalDAC Dual over the Yggy. It's all about taste, and yes, I do feel the HE1K will scale based on an improvement in the DAC that feeds it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #7,890 of 14,798
At a local meet this year, myself and a few others had the opportunity to do a direct comparison between the HEK, LCD-XC, and LCD-X.  All headphones were driven with either the DNA Stratus or the Moth Audio 2A3 with audio sourced by a Cary 306 SACD player.  The CD contained a mix of music which consisted of many different genres

Believe it or not, it was about an even split for those that preferred the HEK vs. those that preferred the LCD-XC (about 7 different listeners).  Most listeners agreed that the LCD-X just didn't sound as good as the other two offerings.

I fell in the camp that preferred the HEK so my opinions may be slightly biased, but here are some of the pros and cons that I noticed when A/Bing the two:

HEK:

+ Spaciousness
+ Closer to subwoofer sounding bass
+ Very natural and realistic tonality (Especially with vocal centric music)
+ Very comfortable
+ More euphonic

- Softer mids
- Didn't work as well with some tube combinations
- Not the last word in detail
- Doesn't hit as hard and is not as engaging at lower listening levels
- Expensive

LCD-XC:

+ Better at presenting micro-detail (at lower and normal listening levels)
+ Better with Rock and very high energy tracks
+ Sounded pretty good regardless of tube configuration
+ Cheaper than the HEK by quite a bit

- More artificial sounding tonality
- Heavy and uncomfortable 
- Bass had a bit of reverb/echo effect
- Doesn't sound 'closed-in' unless A/Bing and particularly against HEK or HD800

Hope this helps.

"Doesnt sound closed in" is that a negative? I like very much that response I think that XC is some real deal and is closed so I can listen to it somehow outdoors even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back