Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #7,861 of 14,805
  I'm wondering for other HifiMan HEK owners out there what AMPs they have landed on to drive these cans. I've tried the burson Conductor (found it a little thin/lean and too bright) and the King Amp from Audeze and also thought it lacked punch/warmth bass, too. I've tried with multiple sources including Sony HAP-Z1ES, and Tidal

Having browsed this forum a bit it seems the following amps come up with some regularity as a good match, but I'm interested in knowing updates on what's been working best/consistently as I prioritize finding a good match:

• Chord Hugo TT
• Chord Dave (beyond my budget here but listing b/c it's come up a lot here)
• ALO Studio Six
• Schiit Yggdrasil/Mjolnir Combo

Are there any favorites for folks beyond this list? I'm looking for something up to $5k

Thanks in advance.
sg

Yggdrasil is a good DAC.
I typically listen to Gungnir Multibit into MicroZOTL2.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #7,862 of 14,805
I've tried it with a few big amps (Cavalli Liquid Crimson, Studio Six, Moon NEO 430HAD) and I've settled on the Studio Six. Yggy is the DAC I used with all the setups. I've also got a Cavalli Liquid Gold coming next month I'll be able to compare the Studio Six with.

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #7,863 of 14,805
Much less expensive, but I like my MicroZOTL2 (see my title...)

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #7,864 of 14,805
  I'm wondering for other HifiMan HEK owners out there what AMPs they have landed on to drive these cans. I've tried the burson Conductor (found it a little thin/lean and too bright) and the King Amp from Audeze and also thought it lacked punch/warmth bass, too. I've tried with multiple sources including Sony HAP-Z1ES, and Tidal

Having browsed this forum a bit it seems the following amps come up with some regularity as a good match, but I'm interested in knowing updates on what's been working best/consistently as I prioritize finding a good match:

• Chord Hugo TT
• ALO Studio Six

Are there any favorites for folks beyond this list? I'm looking for something up to $5k

Thanks in advance.
sg

Headfonia Lieven review on HEK commended the HEK match with Violectric V850/V281. http://www.headfonia.com/review-hifiman-he-1000-save-the-best-for-last/2/
"The HE-1000 in combination with the Violectric V850 DAC and V281 amplifier in fully balanced mode (stock cable), is one of the best (if not the best not taking the Orpheus into account) sounding headphones there is."

I don't have the V281 but it is more powerful and warmer than my V181, so I understand Lieven's praise for the V281 pairing with the HEK. Btw, I heard the new Orpheus and I am very pleased with my HEK-Ygg-Rag/V181 combo. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7,865 of 14,805
McIntosh MHA-100

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #7,867 of 14,805
Jul 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #7,868 of 14,805

• Chord Hugo TT
• ALO Studio Six

Thanks in advance.
sg

i'm loving the Eddie Current Balancing act and yggdrasil combo. i have a Wa22 as well but it takes a lot of tube rolling for it to sound really nice.

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #7,869 of 14,805
I've heard this combo at Stereo Exchange, NYC, really nice sounding!

Indeed. That's where I bought both of them. :) (The mc dac/amp and hek hp)

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #7,870 of 14,805

• Chord Hugo TT
• ALO Studio Six

Thanks in advance.
sg

If you can swing it I'd go with Dave. Has relegated my Yggy to backup duties. Also makes for an awesome headphone amp.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #7,871 of 14,805
Some of the most euphoric musicality and synergy that I have experienced with the HE1000 is third_eye's DNA Stratus, created by the acoustic genius that is Donald North.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #7,873 of 14,805
While it doesn't sound like it would be a particularly exceptional pairing (based on specs), I decided to give the ZD a chance with the HEK.  To my surprise, it actually pairs very well with the HEK.
Doesn't quite have the supreme technicalities of the Liquid Gold, or the silky smooth vocals of the Stratus, but I found it enjoyable in its own right.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #7,874 of 14,805
  While it doesn't sound like it would be a particularly exceptional pairing (based on specs), I decided to give the ZD a chance with the HEK.  To my surprise, it actually pairs very well with the HEK.
Doesn't quite have the supreme technicalities of the Liquid Gold, or the silky smooth vocals of the Stratus, but I found it enjoyable in its own right.

If that's the case - anyone tried the Balancing Act with the HE1000? May just be the best match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back