Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 19, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #7,591 of 14,797
Reading a lot on this thread, it seems HEK beats out the HD800 classic.  Now that the HD800S has been out for a while, is the differential still significant.  

I listen to mostly classic rock and pop/vocals.  Would the HEK still beat out the 800S easily.  Anyone prefer the LCD-3 for these genre types?

I have the LCD-3f, LCD 4 and HE-1k. For classic rock and metal , I prefer the lcd3f. It's that yummy, colorful midbass and midrange that just works well with those genres. This is not to say the other two headphonse are deficient with rock and metal,. It's just that the lcd3f, to me, does ithem more justice.

May 20, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #7,592 of 14,797
HE1000 is the most creamy headphone. Creamy yet clean. The only comparable headphone in this department is LCD2 Rev1. But of course, LCD2 does not have HE1000's soundstage and finesse. 

May 20, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #7,595 of 14,797
I have the HE-500 and was going to go straight to HE-1000 when I upgrade. Good idea?

I had the HE500, after I'd gotten the HEK, I felt that I didn't need the HE500 anymore, though it sounded awesome when paired with my Gustard H10/X12 stack. Even though I'd gotten the HEK, I didn't feel the need to sell the HE500 because I was more interested in a trade. A guy wanted my HE500 and offered to trade it with his HE560 (with ~100USD top up on my side), I figured why not and went for it. The HE500 is good, but the HEK beats it in just about every front, and it sounds quite euphonic at the same time. I found the HE500 to be like my HD800, clinical sounding if there's such a term.

It's like now, I have my HD800 hooked up to my HA-1 and listening to some tracks, I find myself focusing on the sound of the various instruments and vocals, I don't find myself getting lost in the songs like I do with the HEK. Not saying the HEK isn't detailed sounding with good soundstage and imagery, it has all that....yet sounding euphonic at the same time. Maybe it's just me....

May 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #7,597 of 14,797
I had the HE500, after I'd gotten the HEK, I felt that I didn't need the HE500 anymore, though it sounded awesome when paired with my Gustard H10/X12 stack. Even though I'd gotten the HEK, I didn't feel the need to sell the HE500 because I was more interested in a trade. A guy wanted my HE500 and offered to trade it with his HE560 (with ~100USD top up on my side), I figured why not and went for it. The HE500 is good, but the HEK beats it in just about every front, and it sounds quite euphonic at the same time. I found the HE500 to be like my HD800, clinical sounding if there's such a term.

It's like now, I have my HD800 hooked up to my HA-1 and listening to some tracks, I find myself focusing on the sound of the various instruments and vocals, I don't find myself getting lost in the songs like I do with the HEK. Not saying the HEK isn't detailed sounding with good soundstage and imagery, it has all that....yet sounding euphonic at the same time. Maybe it's just me....

What?! The HE-500 is warm and melodious! That's the first time I've heard it described as clinical. Did you mean the 560 is clinical?

May 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #7,599 of 14,797
I heard some feedback from people who have heard the Shangri-La. At least three of them actually said that the HE1000 is better than the Shangri-la. Thoughts?

LouisArmstrong, I think most of the views have been proffered after listening during audio shows. Not the most ideal circumstances in which to do critical listening. Whereas we would have heard the HE1000 at home off our preferred set up. The fact that Hifiman insists on using the 901S as source off their dock will surely have an impact as well.

I did get some ear time during Canjam in Singapore. The only other thing I bothered to audition was the BHSE. Bearing in mind the less than ideal setting, I thought the Shangrila was definitely promising and worth another listen in more ideal listening environment in the future. :)

May 20, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,600 of 14,797
What?! The HE-500 is warm and melodious! That's the first time I've heard it described as clinical. Did you mean the 560 is clinical?

Well, I guess this boils down to how we perceive sound, we may hear the same sound but perceive it differently. Perhaps the HE500 has a touch of warmth to it, but I find it very transparent and clean sounding (the HD800 is similar but with a wider soundstage and more resolving). Like I'd said, perhaps it's me.....when I have my HD800 on (and to a lesser extent the HE500) I tend to focus on details, I can't quite let loose and simply enjoy the music. Please bear in mind I'm past fifty, so my hearing isn't quite as good as it used to be.....not that it was any good to begin with. Also bear in mind that my sound memory kinda suck, I'm not like some of you guys who can remember what a particular can sound like even after a month or two (or more). Hell, can't recall what a can sound like from, say, a few days ago for Chrissakes. I'd not used the HE500 for a while since getting the HE4, and traded it off without listening to it again.

I had the HE400i and HE500 a while back (sold the former earlier on, traded the latter recently) and I'd considered the HE400i to be superior....and I was contemplating selling the HE500. Then, I'd gotten the Gustard X12/H10 stack and the HE500 showed itself to be the better sounding cans with the Gustard. When I tried the HE500 with the Gustard, I was shocked at the resolution and transparency, though soundstage stayed the same. Trying the HE400i with the with the Gustard yielded no discernible difference for me.......really struck home to me when peeps talk about cans scaling with source. Not long after getting the Gustard stack, I'd sold off the HE400i and kept the HE500 until recently. The only HFM can that I'd kept from my previous collection is the HE4, love that can! So now I have one old skool HFM can, and two 'newer' ones.

May 20, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #7,601 of 14,797
moon 430 here with the HEK and the Yiggy as my DAC...incredible combo

May 21, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #7,602 of 14,797
Looking around to plan for my eventual cable upgrade to my HEK, so far I've seen the following mentioned for possible upgrades : 

1. DHC Comp4
2. Norne Zoetic 
3. Norne Silvergarde

Any other suggestions ? 

May 21, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #7,603 of 14,797
Dana sounds really nice (more expensive)...

May 21, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #7,604 of 14,797
LouisArmstrong, I think most of the views have been proffered after listening during audio shows. Not the most ideal circumstances in which to do critical listening. Whereas we would have heard the HE1000 at home off our preferred set up. The fact that Hifiman insists on using the 901S as source off their dock will surely have an impact as well.

I agree. I listened to it at CanJam SoCal and to be honest I was disappointed but again they insist to use their player as a source and also not very good 300B tubes. I heard comments that somebody replaced the source with an AK380 and the sound improved. Personally at the price I have heard they will be shooting for there is no way... it should be a perfect sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #7,605 of 14,797
I agree. I listened to it at CanJam SoCal and to be honest I was disappointed but again they insist to use their player as a source and also not very good 300B tubes. I heard comments that somebody replaced the source with an AK380 and the sound improved. Personally at the price I have heard they will be shooting for there is no way... it should be a perfect sound.

Indeed... Well, as I said in another thread, it's a matter of conjecture what the price is until it is announced. And we can listen to it with a proper source. I enjoy my 901S as an excellent DAP but let's not get carried away... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back