Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,366 of 14,743

You would recommend the Peak/Volcano over the Pinnacle?

The low output impedance setting out of the pinnacle is still 16ohms. The Teton is something like 50 ohms, imo way to high for the 30ohm HE1k. Isn't the impedance really low on the he1k? I'm guessing on the 30 but I thought I saw someone post that a long time ago. The peak/volcano might have a few ohms from the 6sn7 tube but it is a mostly SS affair, zero ohm output design. 

I would personally go for the allnic if gsx-mk2, beta 22 and peak/volcano are not high enough up the food chain. I think the Allnic and HE1k are going to give the bhse and 009 a run for its money.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #4,367 of 14,743
I can confirm that the GS-X Mk2 with the HE1000s is a magical and sublime pairing....I can't take these headphones off my head!

Looking forward to doing a 3 person review with Frank and Aaron...should be fun!!!

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #4,368 of 14,743
  I can confirm that the GS-X Mk2 with the HE1000s is a magical and sublime pairing....I can't take these headphones off my head!

Looking forward to doing a 3 person review with Frank and Aaron...should be fun!!!

...and the 009's do not seem to benefit from the bhse the way that the 007 does. At least that is what I have heard from lots of 007/009 owners.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #4,369 of 14,743

...and the 009's do not seem to benefit from the bhse the way that the 007 does. At least that is what I have heard from lots of 007/009 owners.

I would say that's because of their increased efficiency. But when I upgrade my DAC or source, the changes are more profound on the SR-009s. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #4,370 of 14,743
The 009 really shines with a very good source. While not everyone has dCS or Esoteric gear, having a top end source hooked up with the BHSE and 009 really brings out its charm. A really good vinyl system, in my case a fully-upgraded deck of LP12, is also a good way to max out the potential of the BHSE-009 combo if you don't mind the price for the upgrades and the occasional noise from vinyls.  

In the case of SR-009, I find that switching the BHSE's tubes to Philips copper base (remade by PSVane) really helped. Would like to get my hands on some vintage Mullard EL34s but they are just too expensive now. 

OK - back to the HE1000. I am now driving it with Liquid Fire. I want to know whether anyone who has the EAR HP-4 has tried it with the HE1000? That amp has been on my list for some time and I heard some really good feedback, not only on Head-fi but also from a couple of my audiophile friends. Please let me know if you have a chance to use the EAR HP-4 with the HE1000.

Another amp which I would appreciate feedback on with the HE1000, is RK-V Mark3. Please let me know if you have RK-V (any version) and has used it with the HE1000.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,371 of 14,743
I am in the market for a top headphone amp. I reckon that since I got the BHSE for SR009, only the best one would do the HE1000 justice. Which of the following amps would be the best for HE1000 (or planar headphones)? I am thinking about Dark Star, Liquid Gold, Balancing Act or Apex Pinnacle. Other suggestions in the same league are also welcome. As much as I love the HE1000, I am still cautious about Chinese made amps - so any WOO products or EF1000 is out of the question.

Eddie Current Black Widow (XLR version ), Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson, Schiit Audio Ragnarok--all amps under my "radar" atm. The latter two amps you listed might also be quite solid, of course.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #4,372 of 14,743
  ... I am still cautious about Chinese made amps - so any WOO products or EF1000 is out of the question.

Lol WOO products are made by Chinese people, but in New York I believe...

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #4,373 of 14,743

Lol WOO products are made by Chinese people, but in New York I believe...

Americans of Chinese descent, to be precise, but why should that even matter? The amps speak for themselves - and they sound rather good IMHO.

I get a lot of enjoyment from my WA6 and WA5
L3000.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #4,375 of 14,743
Jun 16, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #4,376 of 14,743
The irony of this is that we are taking about a headphone designed and manufactured in China. lol

Let's be absolutely clear - I have no grudge against any nation and in fact, I AM A CHINESE (despite my alias). I just have more confidence in say, their headphones, than e.g. electronics. I am sure WOO Audio amps are very good - but just count me out please.  Would the ECBA or the Eddy Current 2A3 be overkill? Do you reckon that Black Widow would be sufficient? Thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #4,377 of 14,743
Let's be absolutely clear - I have no grudge against any nation and in fact, I AM A CHINESE (despite my alias). I just have more confidence in say, their headphones, than e.g. electronics. I am sure WOO Audio amps are very good - but just count me out please.  Would the ECBA or the Eddy Current 2A3 be overkill? Do you reckon that Black Widow would be sufficient? Thanks.

I have not heard any of them. I am inclined they would not be overkill, though. I think EC is a very fine way to go. It is where my eyes are most set atm. But the question is which one lol. I am looking at the BW as a first stop. Others here who know EC amps might be able to offer more substantial guidance for driving the HE-K.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,378 of 14,743

Totally your call to make on your amp preference
smile.gif

Just my 2 cents - I would be guided more by the sound signature that you like rather than any country of origin concerns.

Eddy Current have a good rep, but there is no real evidence that their products are any more or less reliable than Woo. Be aware that they have a different sound signature. Woos are more at the musical end of the spectrum while ECs amps are said to be more neutral. Trawl through some forums and you will see that EC have had their share of reliability issues too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back