Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,666 of 14,798
Its relatively kind of nonsensical to talk predictions about price, because we don't know anything about the supply chain.  All I can say is the max I'd be willing to pay and that'd probably be 2500 MSRP, i'd wait a few months and buy it used after a few more respected headfier/professional reviews.  A 3k price tag will alienate alot of headfiers.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,667 of 14,798
  IMO the Abyss even the Lite version is way overpriced at $4,495 and taking in consideration that you can get the SR-009 from PriceJapan right now for $2,900, the Ultrasone 5 Unlimited price is $2,599, The McIntosh MHP1000 is $2,000and the LCD3F is $1,945. Not knowing HiFiman cost of sales structure and just basing it on the market IMO the price should be between $2,500-$2,750.

Yes, it is not just Abyss. Pretty much all other headphones mentioned are overpriced.

No, I have not heard MHP1000 and Ultrasone 5 yet, but I can say LCD-3F and SR-009 are overpriced (and consider people will need a specialized amplifier for e-stat..)

People are keep forgetting one fact since this is a headphone forum; after 2K USD price, speakers become better alternative. I'd like to remind you guys again that KEF's LS50 is about 2.6K~3K USD per pair. Sure, good tower speakers still cost a lot more, but for desktop use, KEF is hard to beat.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,669 of 14,798
Lot of people using these type of headphones most reference headphones  are not primary speaker users. I know I had 15K speakers in the 90's but do not  have the real estate anymore for a heavy 2 channel system personally. I wish I  and the space for those . My two speaker system even my  reference system upstairs  hardly is used. I do use the near-field monitors daily but for limited time. I also like with headphones  that  I can change the  headphone to change and get different signatures .

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,670 of 14,798
  Its relatively kind of nonsensical to talk predictions about price, because we don't know anything about the supply chain.  All I can say is the max I'd be willing to pay and that'd probably be 2500 MSRP, i'd wait a few months and buy it used after a few more respected headfier/professional reviews.  A 3k price tag will alienate alot of headfiers.

It better be $2.5K or less (not to mention substantially better than the HD800) for me to take the plunge.  If the reviewers say that its on the same plane as the HD800, then it's SAYONARA for me.  By the way, it better be great with classical music (great soundstage and imaging) for me to even consider it.  The good doctor has to woo me...and he better be good at wooing, 'cause I'm playing hard to get.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,671 of 14,798
Which near field monitors do you have? Thanks.

Lot of people using these type of headphones most reference headphones  are not primary speaker users. I know I had 15K speakers in the 90's but do not  have the real estate anymore for a heavy 2 channel system personally. I wish I  and the space for those . My two speaker system even my  reference system upstairs  hardly is used. I do use the near-field monitors daily but for limited time. I also like with headphones  that  I can change the  headphone to change and get different signatures .

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,673 of 14,798
  I have the Hd800 and it is one of my reference headphones and the hE1000 is significantly better to my ears.     I think most hD800 users will be impressed with this headphone.

Wow, Frank...don't toy with me.  Please, tell me how, but only in relation to classical music, especially symphonic works (i.e., Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner and the like).  Since I listen almost exclusively to Classical music, that's the only thing I'm interested in.  Is the soundstage as big as the HD800 (i.e., more natural?).  Is the imaging better?  How are they different? How are they alike?  Here I am thinking that the T1 with a tube amp (e.g., Decware CSP2...sublime pairing) and the HD800 (with the Darkstar, another match made in heaven) were the end-all with Classical music.  Pray tell, Frank...how can the HE-1000 be possibly better than those two?

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,676 of 14,798
that goes without saying dude. at least frank i's subjective opinion is based on him having heard both cans.

The thing is that I trust Frank's opinion.  When he talked about the T1 driven by the Decware CSP2 being a match made in heaven, the guy spoke the truth...boy, did he ever (I'm listening to a Brahms Symphony 1 with this combo as I write this, and I am in heaven!!!).  So, if he truly thinks that the HE-1000 is a better headphone than the HD800 and T1, I must stop and listen to what he has to say.  When it comes to my taste in headphones, Frank's subjectivity is pure objectivity.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,677 of 14,798

Wow, Frank...don't toy with me.  Please, tell me how, but only in relation to classical music, especially symphonic works (i.e., Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner and the like).  Since I listen almost exclusively to Classical music, that's the only thing I'm interested in.  Is the soundstage as big as the HD800 (i.e., more natural?).  Is the imaging better?  How are they different? How are they alike?  Here I am thinking that the T1 with a tube amp (e.g., Decware CSP2...sublime pairing) and the HD800 (with the Darkstar, another match made in heaven) were the end-all with Classical music.  Pray tell, Frank...how can the HE-1000 be possibly better than those two?

Well I cna say that Fang  voices this for large scale music. I listened to  a bunch if different recoridng  and  The Firebird and it get it done nicely with excellent layering. I relly like this headpohne. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,678 of 14,798
that goes without saying dude. at least frank i's subjective opinion is based on him having heard both cans.

The sound from both ar excellent in my system but I  have  to say this the truth ,. The HD800 is my longest owned headphone and wont be leaving but this is really in another class.

The thing is that I trust Frank's opinion.  When he talked about the T1 driven by the Decware CSP2 being a match made in heaven, the guy spoke the truth...boy, did he ever (I'm listening to a Brahms Symphony 1 with this combo as I write this, and I am in heaven!!!).  So, if he truly thinks that the HE-1000 is a better headphone than the HD800 and T1, I must stop and listen to what he has to say.  When it comes to my taste in headphones, Frank's subjectivity is pure objectivity.

Thanks for the kindnwords and I do have boith cans here the HD800 and a loaner T1 and this is  at another level.  Heck I love them all. Bruckner 9th on RR with Que sounds excellent.  Have it playing on the cavalli liquid gold.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,679 of 14,798

The sound from both ar excellent in my system but I  have  to say this the truth ,. The HD800 is my longest owned headphone and wont be leaving but this is really in another class.
Thanks for the kindnwords and I do have boith cans here the HD800 and a loaner T1 and this is  at another level.  Heck I love them all. Bruckner 9th on RR with Que sounds excellent.  Have it playing on the cavalli liquid gold.

Wow, Frank.  I don't need Fang to woo me...you are doing all the wooing for him!!! Now all I need is for it to be 2.5K or less.  Let us all pray to the lord that Fang has it in his heart to make us happy without affecting his bottom line too much in the process. I understand that the guy has to make a profit too, you know.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,680 of 14,798
There are any number of reasons to price a flagship consumer product at a price point, but most important are the overall cost (production price, R&D, company expense overhead) and supply / demand. I would argue that some headphones don't need to sound inarguably better to everyone than other headphones at that price point or at lower price points, as long as there are more people who want the headphones than you can make, and you can sell it at that price at a profit. It really is that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back