Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 21, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,651 of 14,805
  The HD800 which are still the technical benchmark in dynamic headphones are 1000$. Audeze already streched their way up for the sound quality they offer. Sorry, I do like the LCD-3Fs but it's true. Abyss is just obscene which is why I refuse to buy it regardless of what I think of them, because of ridiculous and completely unwarranted pricing. And yes, I can afford them any day.

Hifiman has a competitive flagship at what it costs. But it's old technology, and very inefficient. The new ones from having read so far, should be at maximum $2000.

lol old techology? like b/c it's planar? lol the he1000 will be using more advanced design than the other planar magnetics currently on the market. the asymmetrically magnetic array incorporates the best of both worlds from current single-sided and double-sided designs & keeps the weight of the headphones down. Its nanometer diaphragm is the first of its kind. technically, there are a lot of advancements here that go beyond the addition of aluminium blocks on the magnets or ribboning the diaphragm that the other planar magnetic companies are exploring.

sure, i don't think it's really going to revolutionize planar magnetic headphones & it's hard to comment on what sort of impact on sound quality this tech will bring to the table over current designs without direct comparisons, but the technology is anything but old. This is the cutting-edge of planar magnetics at this point. It's an complete upgrade in material & design beyond simply slapping on more stuff on current designs.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,652 of 14,805
  lol old techology? like b/c it's planar? lol the he1000 will be using more advanced design than the other planar magnetics currently on the market. the asymmetrically magnetic array incorporates the best of both worlds from current single-sided and double-sided designs & keeps the weight of the headphones down. Its nanometer diaphragm is the first of its kind. technically, there are a lot of advancements here that go beyond the addition of aluminium blocks on the magnets or ribboning the diaphragm that the other planar magnetic companies are exploring.

sure, i don't think it's going to revolutionize planar magnetic headphones, but the technology is anything but old. This is the cutting-edge of planar magnetics at this point. It's an complete upgrade in material & design beyond simply slapping on more stuff on current designs.

You are misreading my friend. The current flagship are the HE-6s. I know from first hand sources, that Hifiman considers the HE-6 old technology and they are rightly so. That did not deter me from buying the HE-6 last week.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,653 of 14,805

You are misreading my friend. The current flagship are the HE-6s. I know from first hand sources, that Hifiman considers the HE-6 old technology and they are rightly so. That did not deter me from buying the HE-6 last week.

ahhh sorry i thought u were talking abt the he1000. my bad.

you are right about the he-6.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,655 of 14,805
That "old" technology still hits hard. The 6s are a two sided driver, others are single sided. That dual driver requires a lot of current on demand. If you feed it right, the weight of the music is very lifelike.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,656 of 14,805
Maybe fang will reward us loyalists who have suffered through all different mishaps in production
I had the original 400 needed replacement, the 500 no problems and now the 560 with all it's miss starts
$1500 is my top end otherwise I wait for the 600 replacement or stic k with the wonderful 560s

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,657 of 14,805

sure, i don't think it's really going to revolutionize planar magnetic headphones & it's hard to comment on what sort of impact on sound quality this tech will bring to the table over current designs without direct comparisons, but the technology is anything but old. This is the cutting-edge of planar magnetics at this point. It's an complete upgrade in material & design beyond simply slapping on more stuff on current designs.

Sounds like the good doctor is on the verge of finding the cure for cancer.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,658 of 14,805
Electrostats are old technology, ha. I think the point was more toward having the HE1000 be more efficient. I still have the HE-6 in my top 3. Over the HD800 and way over 
the rest of Audez'es meh.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,659 of 14,805
  Electrostats are old technology, ha.

On that note, the technology in conventional dynamic headphones is even more ancient.
biggrin.gif

Conventional speakers and headphones stick a coil of wire inside a magnet, and glue this coil to a stiff cone or dome that's held in place with a springy suspension. Current passes through this coil, and electromagnetism creates force on the coil while in the field of the magnet. The resulting force vibrates the coil, and since it's glued to to a heavy cone, moves the whole mess in and out. This primitive method was invented back in the 1800s, and is still used today because it's cheap and works reasonably well for most purposes.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,661 of 14,805
Maybe fang will reward us loyalists who have suffered through all different mishaps in production
I had the original 400 needed replacement, the 500 no problems and now the 560 with all it's miss starts
$1500 is my top end otherwise I wait for the 600 replacement or stic k with the wonderful 560s

I'm on a similar boat...$1500 I'll buy right away, $2000 I'll wait a bit to see the reviews from early adopters, $2500 I'll wait to buy used, $3000 count me out.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,663 of 14,805
I'd buy one if it was $2000-2500 more likely than not, assuming they live up to the hype. I don't think I could ever consider spending 4000-5000 on a pair that is for sure (not to say I could not afford to get a headphone at that price).

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,664 of 14,805
IMO the Abyss even the Lite version is way overpriced at $4,495 and taking in consideration that you can get the SR-009 from PriceJapan right now for $2,900, the Ultrasone 5 Unlimited price is $2,599, The McIntosh MHP1000 is $2,000and the LCD3F is $1,945. Not knowing HiFiman cost of sales structure and just basing it on the market IMO the price should be between $2,500-$2,750.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 22, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,665 of 14,805
  IMO the Abyss even the Lite version is way overpriced at $4,495 and taking in consideration that you can get the SR-009 from PriceJapan right now for $2,900, the Ultrasone 5 Unlimited price is $2,599, The McIntosh MHP1000 is $2,000and the LCD3F is $1,945. Not knowing HiFiman cost of sales structure and just basing it on the market IMO the price should be between $2,500-$2,750.

SHHHHHH don't say that. It's a bad omen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back