HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #391 of 1,228
It already exist. There is a $120.000 Focal Utopia headphone version with diamonds and gold.

Not sure who will buy it. I am pretty sure Bill Gates doesn’t own one.
That is a true luxury statement product. If hifiman were to make a copy, they would charge $150,000 and use fake diamonds and fake gold.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #392 of 1,228
Good_artist_copy_great_arti1-740x360.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #394 of 1,228
bad artists copy painting on tissue paper and try to sell for the same price.
and you heard new HE-R10? nothing is as "good" as internet warrior that been nowhere seen nothing and has a lot to say...

I, myself, am looking forward to check both dynamic and planar version before I will make my judgment.
I didn't like Edition 6 - but I love Susvara and I suspect what we have seen till now is not final version.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #395 of 1,228
and you heard new HE-R10? nothing is as "good" as internet warrior that been nowhere seen nothing and has a lot to say...

And since you've been everywhere and seen everything, you now need to say that you love your Susvara and you want to hear the HE-R10. Well, thanks for sharing that with us, it is very informative. Two thumbs up for you: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #396 of 1,228
It looks beautiful. It's about time we got to hear what HiFiMan can do with a closed back design. The Sony was allegedly one of the greatest headphones ever made, irrespective of open or closed back. If he can recreate that experience, who are we to step in the way of Fang? The man has brought us the Shangri la, and the Susvara; that alone should be enough to earn him some respect here.
If I could've done a decent copy of the HE-R10, believe me I'd be doing it:relaxed:

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #397 of 1,228
Call me when folks actually start listening to these headphones. If the two are any good I’ll probably wait until they shave at least 50% off the price...and then give em a listen...and most likely buy a Denon closedback instead:ksc75smile:

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #399 of 1,228
I was being tongue-in-cheek:wink:
I personally think that we would be way better off if we collectively agreed to boycot these insanely priced headphones. No coconut on earth should cost this much unless it comes covered in sapphires and/or opens up a portal to Atlantis.
I have zero respect for this extreme branching of capitalism that more than anything ends up building hierarchies.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #400 of 1,228
The dynamic driiver version sits in the price range of ZMF headphones, the Audio Technica woodies and the Denon D9200. True, I think those prices are outrageous already (since you can get a great pair for only 300 dollar), but these are conform the current market. Compared to the overall hifi market as it exists for decades, where you can buy cables for $3k, expensive exotic audio tweaks it is not THAT outrageous.
And I think a $5k pair of HE-R10 planar headphones probably have a better price quality ratio (when it comes to sound) than a $5k DAC or CD player

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #402 of 1,228
I can afford it...but I would rather boil my feet than throw that amount of dough at a headphone..if only for the principle itself: headphones should not cost this much, period.
I guess it’s something that takes a while to get and one has to have been ‘around the block’ so to speak in order to appreciate how very little one gets in terms of upgraded sound quality going from say an LCD-2C to the Abyss flagship or from an hd600 to a Utopia. I know several folks who certainly can afford and have owned the Utopia..but prefer the old Sennheiser.
The above is part of the law of diminishing returns...but it’s only half the story. These monster prices are also there to attract the many folks who believe in mo money = better stuff...and that goes for the rest of their lives including cars, clothes, drill-bits, watches and motorcycles. If you throw enough money at something...you’ll end up with ‘the best’...which is entirely nonsense in a hobby that relies on individual tastebuds. Nahh if you buy the priciest stuff...well then you end up with the priciest stuff...and incidentally also saying that it’s ok for manufacturers to sell coconuts at these insane prices.
Personally I think they’re nuts.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #403 of 1,228
A Utopia is miles ahead of the HD600 to my ears. The Susvara is a major step up from the HE1000SE aswell. It's certainly not £1000s better. It's a case of what you're prepared to spend your money on. There's no sense in this hobby. Leave that outside the door and make your way in my friends 😉

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #404 of 1,228
A Utopia is miles ahead of the HD600 to my ears. The Susvara is a major step up from the HE1000SE aswell. It's certainly not £1000s better. It's a case of what you're prepared to spend your money on. There's no sense in this hobby. Leave that outside the door and make your way in my friends 😉

Agreed as I own all of these except that I have the HE1000V2 not the SE. I feel happy for anyone who prefers the HD600 to the Utopia as this would save him/her a lot of money. :wink:

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #405 of 1,228
The dynamic driiver version sits in the price range of ZMF headphones, the Audio Technica woodies and the Denon D9200. True, I think those prices are outrageous already (since you can get a great pair for only 300 dollar), but these are conform the current market. Compared to the overall hifi market as it exists for decades, where you can buy cables for $3k, expensive exotic audio tweaks it is not THAT outrageous.
And I think a $5k pair of HE-R10 planar headphones probably have a better price quality ratio (when it comes to sound) than a $5k DAC or CD player
"Price to quality ratio" and "HE-R10" are antonyms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back