HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 16, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #361 of 1,227
8 years R&D and only come to the copying of both the name and the housing ? That was a lot of R&D

It took them a while to decide which model to copy.

At least someone had the good sense to make the decision to use something other than pleather. Though from the pictures I've seen (like in the Quick Impressions thread) it does not look like the headband is made out of seude, but I'll take their word for it.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #362 of 1,227
8 years R&D and only come to the copying of both the name and the housing ? That was a lot of R&D

The R10 was famous for its backwave offset and how does a planar work without letting the backwave jump around the cup and exerting non linear energy on the diaphragm.

If the cup is stuffed with damping to eat the backwave, it will force the non driven parts of the diaphragm to move in an uneven manner compared to the moving parts which will lead to uneven pistonic movement.

Theres a reason why Sony isn't building another R10 because it would eat up potentially 10s of millions in R&D and they won't be able to sell it cheap and I can't see a lot of demand for $20k R10s.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #364 of 1,227
Well, don’t look down on Sony, just because you are copying their 25 years old technologies :wink:
I didn't know that Sony sported orthodynamic drivers in their MDR-R10, or that Hifiman is sourcing biodynamic drivers from Ajinomoto.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #365 of 1,227
I didn't know that Sony sported orthodynamic drivers in their MDR-R10, or that Hifiman is sourcing biodynamic drivers from Ajinomoto.
So, even if you just copied the housing and the R10 in the name, then it is still a copy.

I see people keep mentioning PHD degrees...last time I checked, no PHD had the privileges or rights to start copying

While you are at it, can I request an HE-OMahGawd to pay a homage to Stax-OmeGa ?
you can continue using Shangrila and Susvara drivers with the copies housing and the name can altered a bit to sound similar OMahGawd!!

Thank you

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #366 of 1,227
So, using just one aspect of a headphone, an aspect that has been in the public domain for over 10 years, constitutes part of your blatant copying definition? Did you apply such purity tests to JPS Labs for using Fostex's magnet slab concept (rp18) for its Abyss cans?

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #367 of 1,227
So, using just one aspect of a headphone, an aspect that has been in the public domain for over 10 years, constitutes part of your blatant copying definition? Did you apply such purity tests to JPS Labs for using Fostex's magnet slab concept (rp18) for its Abyss cans?

I thought the bigger problem was with the dynamic version which mimics the baffle design as well and also the naming of it. Taking the R10 name and dissing Sony was really the clincher imho. If they just released the planar version and called it something different saying the ear cups were inspired by the R10 the controversy would be less imho.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #368 of 1,227
I thought the bigger problem was with the dynamic version which mimics the baffle design as well and also the naming of it. Taking the R10 name and dissing Sony was really the clincher imho. If they just released the planar version and called it something different saying the ear cups were inspired by the R10 the controversy would be less imho.
It was the cup design since the type of wood used and the etched irregularities in the inner face of the cup to reduce standing waves constituted the secret sauce disclosed by Sony's patent (https://patents.google.com/patent/US5018599) from 1989 (priority date: Oct. 3, 1988). The properties of the baffle, other than having simple sound through-holes and screw holes, were neither mentioned nor disclosed in the patent. From the document, it seemed to be unremarkable. If such a construction had novel and non-obvious features or technical aspects, then I'm sure Sony would have described it and try to claim it in their patent.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #369 of 1,227
It took them a while to decide which model to copy.

At least someone had the good sense to make the decision to use something other than pleather. Though from the pictures I've seen (like in the Quick Impressions thread) it does not look like the headband is made out of seude, but I'll take their word for it.
If that's the case, it'll be the least suede-looking suede that I've ever seen.

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #370 of 1,227
HIFIMAN HE-R10 headband will be made of suede, not pleather. The pic with parts here and there, shows 8 year R&D history of making close back planar. Wood cup design, which is the only place looks similar to other headphones, can be easily exchanged after removing some screws. Different wood cup material and shape change the sound and looking immediately.
Are you sure? Because i just asked.the official HIFIMAN estore in china about it.
The custom service told.me it is pleather.

If that's the case, it'll be the least suede-looking suede that I've ever seen.
Hes either talking out of his ass or the official HIFIMAN retailer store doesn't know the actual detail.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #371 of 1,227
Are you sure? Because i just asked.the official HIFIMAN estore in china about it.

Hes either talking out of his ass or the official HIFIMAN retailer store doesn't know the actual detail.

LOL.

This headphone release is just one big...

Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #372 of 1,227

I suppose that the headband material will be changed to suede with the official launch of the product; the current pleather-like headband is probably used for the demo units currently floating around.

But if that's the case, why are the promotional shots of the headphone shown with the pleather headband? Why not dress your premium product in the best gown possible for the photoshoot?

Unless.. that's actually suede, and we're all fooled.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #373 of 1,227
This headphone is the best ever. Because if you put your Hifiman R10 in a vault so that nobody can touch it for the next 25 years, you might have the only working Hifiman R10 in the world given it's terrible build quality.

So you can make alot of money 25 years from now.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #374 of 1,227
I suppose that the headband material will be changed to suede with the official launch of the product; the current pleather-like headband is probably used for the demo units currently floating around.

But if that's the case, why are the promotional shots of the headphone shown with the pleather headband? Why not dress your premium product in the best gown possible for the photoshoot?

Curiouser and curiouser!
Zone.gif

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #375 of 1,227

Curiouser and curiouser!

The annoucement was probably all just concept images. Until it's actually on the Hifiman website, nothing's even official.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back