HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #376 of 1,227
The customer service told me that the headband material is made of synthetic leather.

He is from the official preorder link provide by the official HIFIMAN store front.

To me thats official enough. Since they are taking preorder money from people base on the promotional image.

Just saying.

Maybe the wrong product information was given to him.

Either way its incompetence vs lying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200819-044007.png
    Screenshot_20200819-044007.png
    599.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200819-043939.png
    Screenshot_20200819-043939.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200819-043927.png
    Screenshot_20200819-043927.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #377 of 1,227
The customer service told me that the headband material is made of synthetic leather.

He is from the official preorder link provide by the official HIFIMAN store front.

To me thats official enough. Since they are taking preorder money from people base on the promotional image.

Just saying.

Soooooooooo, that's just a fancy way of saying 'pleather'..... right?

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #378 of 1,227

Just saying.

That does not appear to be Hifiman's website. Their official website is: https://hifiman.com/#1 where the R10 is not there yet.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #381 of 1,227
Soooooooooo, that's just a fancy way of saying 'pleather'..... right?

That is why I don't take headphones serious anymore. When Focal Utopia launched, $4000 was already out there. But it was justified as:
- Carbon fibre headphone with real lambskin leather.
- Beryllium driver which only a few speaker companies can create. And it is very difficult and expensive to make. You will find these type of drivers in $230.000 speakers.

Now we got headphones costing $5000 for a standard dynamic / planar headphone with pleather. I don't care how good Dr. Fang think it sounds, it is crazy :p

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #382 of 1,227
That is why I don't take headphones serious anymore. When Focal Utopia launched, $4000 was already out there. But it was justified as:
- Carbon fibre headphone with real lambskin leather.
- Beryllium driver which only a few speaker companies can create. And it is very difficult and expensive to make. You will find these type of drivers in $230.000 speakers.

Now we got headphones costing $5000 for a standard dynamic / planar headphone with pleather. I don't care how good Dr. Fang think it sounds, it is crazy :p
The thing is, the perceived success of headphones like the Utopia and, potentially, the HE-R10, will embolden other manufacturers to raise the prices for their new flagships. That would be the start of a difficult period for all enthusiasts in this hobby.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #383 of 1,227
The thing is, the perceived success of headphones like the Utopia and, potentially, the HE-R10, will embolden other manufacturers to raise the prices for their new flagships. That would be the start of a difficult period for all enthusiasts in this hobby.

I think that the difficult period has already began.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #384 of 1,227

Precisely. Since most boutique shops does not disclose sales numbers, we can only judge by forum reception and reviews. So this 'perceived success' irrelevant to true sales will drive the price of other flagships or force other companies to follow suit. It's a win-win for the companies. Mediocre build quality means very little money goes into production cost, so even with low sales its relatively easy to recoup the sunk cost. People need to understand that in turn affects everyone in the flagship market. And to be honest, we are already deep into this phenomena.

Edit: And any argument about R&D cost driving up the sales price is nonsense when you're reusing parts and copying designs from other HPs, or outsourcing components.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #386 of 1,227
someone PM me when there is an actual LISTENING IMPRESSION on this thread.

While you wait, ask the MOD to delete all your previous posts, since none are even remotely related to listening impressions.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #387 of 1,227
I would not mind if this creates new super expensive luxury segment of headphones. Speakers have it, amps, turntables, cars, handbags, clothes etc. For a long time headphones have been one hobby where you can buy flagship products without being a millionaire. It's sad it will change but it's a natural developement and as long reasonably priced products keep evolving I'm ok with that. Of course those headphones should ooze luxury like orpheus or $100k sonus faber speakers.

I could spend $5000 on headphones but it would be a carefully planned purchase. I would do it with only something that has no build quality issues, long warranty and manufacturer should have a reputation of not messing up the value of the products by releasing new revisions every six months. (At this moment I don't think such headphone even exists)

In a upside down way hifiman products are the ultimate luxury headphones. Buying something like Susvara or he-10r I would accept that I'm fine it might break during and after warranty period. I would have to be fine loosing $6000 in just a few years.

While ago I saw this on facebook. It's paint on susvara magnets flaking.Screenshot_20200815-191252__01.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #388 of 1,227
98% of all Rolls Royces made are still in operation, vintage watches more than 50 years old go for multiple times their original prices, so not sure how something that breaks in a few years is a sign of luxury. A vintage Fender will go for thousands more than a new one (upto $20k IME) and will be in top notch shape.

The Susvara magnets flaking isn't a surprise since my experience with Hifiman planars is that there is basically foil glued with massive gaps in the traces of a Mylar diaphragm to design a planar driver. Havent bought a Hifiman made after 2013.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #389 of 1,227
98% of all Rolls Royces made are still in operation, vintage watches more than 50 years old go for multiple times their original prices, so not sure how something that breaks in a few years is a sign of luxury.

I phrased myself poorly. What I ment is that in it's own twisted way Hifiman is the ultimate rich person headphone as it's allmost disposable. Not many have afford to buy such things in the long run.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #390 of 1,227
I would not mind if this creates new super expensive luxury segment of headphones. Speakers have it, amps, turntables, cars, handbags, clothes etc. For a long time headphones have been one hobby where you can buy flagship products without being a millionaire. It's sad it will change but it's a natural developement and as long reasonably priced products keep evolving I'm ok with that. Of course those headphones should ooze luxury like orpheus or $100k sonus faber speakers.

I could spend $5000 on headphones but it would be a carefully planned purchase. I would do it with only something that has no build quality issues, long warranty and manufacturer should have a reputation of not messing up the value of the products by releasing new revisions every six months. (At this moment I don't think such headphone even exists)

In a upside down way hifiman products are the ultimate luxury headphones. Buying something like Susvara or he-10r I would accept that I'm fine it might break during and after warranty period. I would have to be fine loosing $6000 in just a few years.

While ago I saw this on facebook. It's paint on susvara magnets flaking.

It already exist. There is a $120.000 Focal Utopia headphone version with diamonds and gold.

Not sure who will buy it. I am pretty sure Bill Gates doesn’t own one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back