HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #151 of 1,227
I personally don't have a problem with the design as I'm not sure the earcup shape is even something that was patented by Sony. I do take issue with Hifiman naming them the same R10 though.

I think Hifiman would garner a lot less ill-will if they rename these headphones. Just my two cents.

My submission for the name: Hifiman Anexia.

@Nankai @TeamHiFiMAN
Hifi man will not rename.... I love the name.... they have every right to use R10. Sony does not own it.... as I said genius... look at all the people generating buzz for them... it’s great... will be even better if this thing sounds as awesome as the naming. R10 FTW!

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #152 of 1,227
I think Hifiman would garner a lot less ill-will if they rename these headphones. Just my two cents.

I agree with that. It comes across like shameless copying (a cultural no-no in the West) and I see why people feel it's insulting. It reminds me a lot of one Chinese manufacturer that called its physically identical clone of the Sennheiser IE8 an ([Brand redacted] IE8). I don't get the impression that HiFiMan are just trying to make a clone like that company was though.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #153 of 1,227
People are upset that they choose to release a pair of highend headphone without original design, who they choose to ripoff from is the second problem.

If hifiman is just a small Chinese company with no history in the headphone market i think no one would care.
But they have been in the game for such a long time with iconic headphone such as the hek and he6. people expect if they are releasing a new totl closeback headphone, its not a knockoff name and design wise.
Who are you to qualify the design of this headphone? I think it looks great. You are not familiar with the engineering that went into this.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #154 of 1,227
I agree with that. It comes across like shameless copying (a cultural no-no in the West) and I see why people feel it's insulting. It reminds me a lot of one Chinese manufacturer that called its physically identical clone of the Sennheiser IE8 an ([Brand redacted] IE8).
It’s called consumer marketing..., and this is not representative of other Chinese “knockoffs” it’s hifi man having some nostalgic fun. Keep it up! There are about 100 people on earth that know what an R10 is other than thinking it’s a droid from the mandelorian.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #156 of 1,227
@radnor I edited my post.

I might have to consider seeing if I can review a pair. I don't think I could borrow a pair of R10s though to compare with.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #157 of 1,227
I don't think I could borrow a pair of R10s though to compare with.

From what I understand, these days most of the original Sony R10's have deteriorating inner foam baffling inside the earcups so it's going to be very difficult to have a set not affected by that to some extent. Let alone actually finding a pair.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #158 of 1,227
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

DSC04286.jpg

DSC04306.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04321.jpg

DSC04406.jpg

DSC04427.jpg

DSC04428.jpg

DSC04429.jpg

DSC04436.jpg

DSC04442.jpg

DSC04443.jpg

DSC04444.jpg

DSC04455.jpg

DSC04460.jpg

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #160 of 1,227
@radnor I edited my post.

I might have to consider seeing if I can review a pair. I don't think I could borrow a pair of R10s though to compare with.
Oh I am sure that they can send u one for free with an option to buy for a third off the retail price. I respect your review but I also know what goes around in the industry.

The HE-R10 appears a straight copy of the original MDR-R10 wooden housing design from the pictures though. I own the R10 and I can tell that it is nearly a straight copy. The wooden housing of the original R10 were carved out of a 200-years old Japanese maple tree. The tree was chosen for its special hardness and timbre quality. I don’t think harvesting a 200-year old tree just to make a headphones may not be legal anymore in Japan. Are they going for a HE-Qualia 010 and HE-L3000/5000 next? Such an easy recipe to make more money.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #161 of 1,227
I personally don't have a problem with the design as I'm not sure the earcup shape is even something that was patented by Sony. I do take issue with Hifiman naming them the same R10 though.

This!!

And then he acts all smug about it and boasts that there is nothing Sony can do about it.

ahole.jpg

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #162 of 1,227
Since Fang once mentioned wanting to nuke Sennheiser he could tackle the Orpheus one day.

Hifiman HE-90 would be quite a fitting name. No need to waste precious R&D resources.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #163 of 1,227
HifiMan...
  • Makes one of the very best open back headphones on the market. It seems to sell quite well despite a 6K price tag and claims of build issues.
  • Makes the only high-end open back bluetooth headphone (Ananda BT). And it gets very positive reviews.
  • Brings out a flagship closed back and prices it around the same price as it flagship open back. (Like Focal)
  • Brings out a less expensive version of their new closed back flagship simultaneously, thus offering an expensive and a less expensive choice. (Again, like Focal)
  • Brings out the very first ToTL closed back on the market with BT capability.
  • Names and shapes their new headphone to pay tribute to legendary headphone that has not been made in twenty years that Head-Fiers still seek out. Makes no effort to deceive anyone that their new headphone is a recreation of the old R10. Uses the R10 name knowing that no one except dedicated enthusiasts will even know about the old Sony R10 i.e. they used the name as a hat tip to us. (BTW, I don't see any outrage on Head-Fi about Monoprice, a company that actually does rip off designs of smaller boutique headphone companies.)
  • Contributes to the resurgence in ToTL closed back headphones; an area largely ignored by manufactures until the last few years.

If Head-Fi is really a hobby as some claim, we should be thrilled about this headphone and be speculating on sound quality. Instead, we get border line racist attack on "chi-fi," complaints that the founder once said something someone does not like, complaints about build quality, etc. etc. We get worries about "ripping off" Sony, a company that made 4.5 billion USD in profit last year alone. It is not that there is no truth to any of this. The problem is that if the reaction to a company to HifiMan, a company with their long history in the hobbyist community, bringing out a new flagship is to s*** all over them without ever hearing them, then Head-Fi as a hobby is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

You all seem to love a pile on. I think they just bring out the absolute worst in posters. Too many act like HifiMan personally attacked them rather than simply bringing out a new consumer product.

This topic is just a ton of negativity. It is wrong, it is becoming ugly, and most importantly, it is no fun.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #164 of 1,227
And it isn’t fair and the not an ethical thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back