HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #227 of 1,218
Haters gonna hate, Hifiman is releasing 2 new models...

pic1.png

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #229 of 1,218
I wonder what would happen if I copied and reposted someone else’s written review and added my name instead.

No need to wonder, do it. Find a 20 year old review, copy and repost it. I'm sure many would find that relevant.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #232 of 1,218
Just from a PR or public speaking point of view, my personal preference of how this should have been executed is:

1. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like a hifiman headphone, and claims that it sounds fantastic.
2. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like a hifiman headphone, and claims that it sounds better than Sony R10 in the presentation.
3. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, and pays homage to Sony and R10 designers in the presentation.
4. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, but does not mention R10 in the presentation.
5. Makes a $5000 headphones that looks like R10, mentions R10 in the presentation but pays no homage and shows no respect to R10's designers and owners.

It's just sad and funny that Bian picked #5.
Well that's just it. Mentioning the R10 was intentional to draw people in. Also factor in that the R10 was $2500 in 1989, so that provides the excuse to charge $5000 for a "new R10" in 2020.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #233 of 1,218
Well that's just it. Mentioning the R10 was intentional to draw people in. Also factor in that the R10 was $2500 in 1989, so that provides the excuse to charge $5000 for a "new R10" in 2020.
The planar version, the dynamic driver version is about to cost 1400 USD as I understand.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #234 of 1,218
I think this is cheesy by Hifiman (and that owner seems like a clown with his comments and the way he replies to people that criticize him/his company) yet I definitely don't care enough to be triggered by it. Here's hoping for his sake the headphones perform well.

He certainly doesn't take himself too seriously and I don't think expects us to either. This is not necessarily a bad quality IMO. In one of the interview videos several years ago, he said that he's crazy and basically does crazy things. It's just sorta his style but I think it's what pushes the company forward.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #235 of 1,218
He certainly doesn't take himself too seriously and I don't think expects us to either. This is not necessarily a bad quality IMO. In one of the interview videos several years ago, he said that he's crazy and basically does crazy things. It's just sorta his style but I think it's what pushes the company forward.

Isn't he the guy who posted the Saigon execution image when people were criticizing him here? Or was that someone else and I'm confusing them?

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #236 of 1,218
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #237 of 1,218

Considering that he seems to be doing very well with the 6K Susvara, why do you think he needs an "excuse" to charge 5K for his new ToTL closed-back headphone? (Personally, I think it is too much, but there seem to be lots of people ready to pay for the Susvara.)

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #238 of 1,218
Perfect opportunity for Sony to reissue the de-facto R10. The free publicity is already out there.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #239 of 1,218

I think we should be done with people hiding behind some sort of artistic madness to excuse their bad behavior and claiming that it's the secret to their success. At some point when you're running a professional company you should act like it and making immature and reactionary statements in the face of criticism is probably just a sign of personal insecurity peaking through when it shouldn't. In fact this whole R10 debacle makes it seem like Hifiman as a company isn't secure with their own legacy, otherwise they would have designed a more original closed-back flagship concept.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #240 of 1,218
I think we should be done with people hiding behind some sort of artistic madness to excuse their bad behavior and claiming that it's the secret to their success. At some point when you're running a professional company you should act like it and making immature and reactionary statements in the face of criticism is probably just a sign of personal insecurity peaking through when it shouldn't. In fact this whole R10 debacle makes it seem like Hifiman as a company isn't secure with their own legacy, otherwise they would have designed a more original closed-back flagship concept.

Excellent point. The Edition 6 thread got a lot of undeserved hate. If you make the best product, then you may charge whatever you like. The market will then decide if it's worth it. Susvara has succeeded. Susvara is still the best planar (to my ears) and it's a Hifiman original. Hifiman had a good legacy and were making improvements all the time.

This HE-R10 release has unquestionably damaged their reputation and credibility. I think Fang doesn't understand Western markets at all, or has no desire to. I believe this product launch will be studied by other companies as a marketing case study on what NOT to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back