Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #481 of 634
With all this, they also want rediculous amount of money for us to suffer bad design and inconvenience. Only in this audiophile world we can be so masochistic.

bfppaKE.jpg

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #482 of 634
I was surprised how good the Auteur was relative to the eikon and atticus that did not impress me/my preferences at all.

My opinion is the Auteur is a worthy complement to say an hex v2 or hd800 or something like that. Quite uniques relative to my other HPs i have. Great with acoustic stuff and probably Jazz - that kind of stuff. It has a tone that is not completely neutral but has that little bit of thickness/delay/bouncing around/layback thing going on.. that's what it brings to the table and does well

For me it's never going to be my number one however if i hang on to it (and not trade it in for (say) an lcd3) then it will definitely get it's fair share of use

Recently enjoyed it and performed really well with Alice in chains unplugged, rem automatic for the people and some nils lofgren. That's the kind of stuff that i have it looking for when i'm in the mood for that

On zmf's website there is a quote from a reviewer saying (something like) it mixes a neutral sound with the zmf house sound - that sums it up pretty well for me and why i easily prefer it to the other two zmfs i have heard

+1 Very similar to my impressions of the Auteur as well.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #483 of 634
Yeah, I really don't understand why they want it more difficult for it to be driven and make it expensive as hell. It's like, we give you the previlages of difficulty fo yo azz, so pay up.

Also design. Abyss, frankenstein. It looks like DIY headphone designed by frankenstein. And you got to adjust that thing every time you put on. With all this, they also want rediculous amount of money for us to suffer bad design and inconvenience. Only in this audiophile world we can be so masochistic.

We shouldn't condone that kind of behavior from companies.

Hard to drive transducers (speaker or headphone) are really not that bad and honestly are pretty standard for the audiophile realm. Especially seeing as these are for home rigs I don't understand the anger from people about its power demands. Just buy a vintage speaker amp that is literally cheaper than just about any high quality headphone amp and use the supplied adapter, or go with a more efficient headphone into your existing setup .

Its like complaining that stax headphones require special amps or moving coil carts require step up transformers or that planar magnetic speakers don't respect anything under 150wpc. Sure it makes sense if you dont want to expand your system for crazy expense but for those whose systems are halfway there it's really a non-issue.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #485 of 634
We should all remember, the og He6 was Fang's biggest regret for not gouging in the first place.
Not gouging? That ghetto build and aesthetics that was 83dB efficiency with a price tag of $1k. When I opened up the box, and first looked at that thing, I just chuckled, and then the thread of people discussing driving it with speaker amps and Nelson Pass or some crap for $$. Out of control. Who's gouging who?

Now he want's $1.7k for it with some new headband? That headband looks ghetto as hell. It looks so low quality like all his products were.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #487 of 634
Not gouging? That ghetto build and aesthetics that was 83dB efficiency with a price tag of $1k. When I opened up the box, and first looked at that thing, I just chuckled, and then the thread of people discussing driving it with speaker amps and Nelson Pass or some crap for $$. Out of control. Who's gouging who?

Now he want's $1.7k for it with some new headband? That headband looks ghetto as hell. It looks so low quality like all his products were.
I merely meant he didn't charge it at a ridiculous price from the getgo when he could.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #488 of 634
Any sound impressions of the HE1000SE?

Somebody hear it???

somebody knows the release date??

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #489 of 634
So I've read this thread again, and I still stand by my previous reaction. The $3500USD HE1000SE would have to really step up the build quality and materials game to compete with the $500 cheaper Meze Empyrean, and I doubt it does. Sonically speaking, I have no idea, I have heard neither. I also think that a $1800USD retail HE6SE is silly, and it should have been $1400 TOPs. Now, with that being said Hifimans prices usually come down (screwing over early adopters) so perhaps we will see more reasonable pricing in the future? I'm not sure.

With all that being said, I was on the search for a non TOTL priced headphone to keep me going until I can afford to re-purchase the Abyss PhiCC and the HE-6 seemed like an option I would love to try. Everyone speaks about great sound, if well driven. I had a look at the used market and there were none available, so I purchased a pair of HE6SE. I will report back with initial sonic impressions and build quality concerns hopefully next week (they should ship today...)

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #491 of 634
@ufospls2 What amp are you using these days, now that you no longer have the Master 9? Oh, maybe you now have the Pro iCan??

Looking forward to your impressions.

No amp at the moment. Plan is to go grab a vintage receiver and use the HE-Adapter, until I can get a cable to go from the speaker taps. I'll buy a better amp at some point, but other things have my focus at this point in time :)

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #492 of 634
It has arrived!!! A mini unboxing. Early impressions: every bit as good as I remember. My 300b amp powers it fine out of balanced headphone out. Visceral, detailed, beautiful planar bass with real treble (if audeze treble works for you, this won't!)

Will post more later, just enjoying them for now. Some negatives? Maybe the pads are a little warm - tried to take a picture of them below to give a sense of the texture. Also it is a relatively heavy headphone - but the new suspension headband works brilliantly. Will probably have more to say later about comfort after long sessions, but I'm very happy.

Dream of owning a brand new HE6 with all ergonomic issues resolved: achieved.

HDzvwZW.jpg

nseZ2NE.jpg

0dFKI46.jpg

Zc0QMh4.jpg

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #493 of 634
It has arrived!!! A mini unboxing. Early impressions: every bit as good as I remember. My 300b amp powers it fine out of balanced headphone out. Visceral, detailed, beautiful planar bass with real treble (if audeze treble works for you, this won't!)

Will post more later, just enjoying them for now. Some negatives? Maybe the pads are a little warm - tried to take a picture of them below to give a sense of the texture. Also it is a relatively heavy headphone - but the new suspension headband works brilliantly. Will probably have more to say later about comfort after long sessions, but I'm very happy.

HDzvwZW.jpg

nseZ2NE.jpg

0dFKI46.jpg

Zc0QMh4.jpg

Congrats! this is the first time I've seen a canadian be the first to own anything on this forum!

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #494 of 634

More pics of the headphone, less of the box! I can't wait to hear them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back