Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #496 of 634
Apparently my ming da mc300 ear headphone amp is a beast. Using the balanced headphone out, I don't even need to turn it up a quarter way to get perfect volume. It sounds fantastic as well.

On the other hand I tried my Oppo HA-1 briefly, which is no slouch for power, and had to crank it up almost to max to get the same volume.

So far so good - suspension headband working well, no hot spots, I wouldn't say it disappears on my head but it isn't uncomfortable either - I'd say it is rather comfortable. The ear pads are also very good and comfortable.

Hate to repeat myself, but visceral is a great term for these - incredibly punchy bass, perfectly resolving treble, extremely detailed, spectacular imaging. This is how music was meant to sound.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #498 of 634
Apparently my ming da mc300 ear headphone amp is a beast. Using the balanced headphone out, I don't even need to turn it up a quarter way to get perfect volume. It sounds fantastic as well.

On the other hand I tried my Oppo HA-1 briefly, which is no slouch for power, and had to crank it up almost to max to get the same volume.

So far so good - suspension headband working well, no hot spots, I wouldn't say it disappears on my head but it isn't uncomfortable either - I'd say it is rather comfortable. The ear pads are also very good and comfortable.

Hate to repeat myself, but visceral is a great term for these - incredibly punchy bass, perfectly resolving treble, extremely detailed, spectacular imaging. This is how music was meant to sound.

Apparently it does 7WPC into 8ohms so that does make sense that it could drive it, as long as the balanced output is wired like a second speaker output without resistors or caps to choke the power.

Looks like the headband and pads are identical to the Sundara.

LOL Fang just remade the HE6 with the headband mod for an additional $400!
I was at an art show the other day that focused on some local Vancouver painters, one of the artists went to art school (and was in one of the same classes) with a friend of mine who was there with me. This artist was selling his homework from art school for $4,000 EACH and getting away with it just because he's semi famous. Obviously my friend was not happy to see homework on sale for used car prices but honestly, if you can get away with it and look good doing it....

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #499 of 634
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #500 of 634
from what is written inthe store, yes. same stealth magnets as in Susvara, confront here: http://hifiman.com/products/detail/275

more interestingly, from the infos on the store it seems HEKSE is using the same symmetrical magnetic circuit as Susvara, instead of the original HEK asymmetrical circuit. this should deliver a quite different sound.

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #501 of 634
from what is written inthe store, yes. same stealth magnets as in Susvara, confront here: http://hifiman.com/products/detail/275

more interestingly, from the infos on the store it seems HEKSE is using the same symmetrical magnetic circuit as Susvara, instead of the original HEK asymmetrical circuit. this should deliver a quite different sound.

That link takes you to the Susvara. Where does it show in the Hifiman store that the HEK SE is using the same stealth magnet structure?

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #502 of 634
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #506 of 634
Not gouging? That ghetto build and aesthetics that was 83dB efficiency with a price tag of $1k. When I opened up the box, and first looked at that thing, I just chuckled, and then the thread of people discussing driving it with speaker amps and Nelson Pass or some crap for $$. Out of control. Who's gouging who?

Now he want's $1.7k for it with some new headband? That headband looks ghetto as hell. It looks so low quality like all his products were.
I agree.
I really regret that I bought He-6.
I had tried so many ways / hours and things to satisfy it without good result.
If I have saved those all expenses, then I might have a set of flagship STAX phones and the equipment or more.
After I sold them and bought He-500, I was so satisfied with sound quality and its tonality for far less cost.
One of the amp for he6 is shown below: Marantz SR9600 which weighs almost 60 lb that surprised my wife when it sat on my desk.

1383316-marantz-sr9600.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #507 of 634
Just for keks and giggles, I would happily pay 2 grands if Fang re-releases HE6 with 73 or 63dB sensitivity. My reasoning are of the follow:

1. There's no headphone designed with speaker users in mind, period. Even HE6, with a sensitivity rating of 83.5 is still too loud on a 100W power amp. You can't turn the volume knob too much without blowing up the drivers or damaging your hearing. Another benefit of lower sensitivity is that you can have more excursion: more distance between magnet and driver means more headroom. Plus speaker amps are inherently more dynamic than headphone amps just because they have a higher voltage rail, which translates to more control over the driver and better linearity.

Back when I had the HE6 I find it hard to properly amp-match because of sensitivity issue alone. So Please Fang, give us speaker users some love please. Forget HE6, 83db/mW is a joke. Release a model with 63dB rating and charge $6K, no, $10K. I bet lots of speaker users would throw money at you.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #508 of 634
Just for keks and giggles, I would happily pay 2 grands if Fang re-releases HE6 with 73 or 63dB sensitivity. My reasoning are of the follow:

1. There's no headphone designed with speaker users in mind, period. Even HE6, with a sensitivity rating of 83.5 is still too loud on a 100W power amp. You can't turn the volume knob too much without blowing up the drivers or damaging your hearing. Another benefit of lower sensitivity is that you can have more excursion: more distance between magnet and driver means more headroom. Plus speaker amps are inherently more dynamic than headphone amps just because they have a higher voltage rail, which translates to more control over the driver and better linearity.

Back when I had the HE6 I find it hard to properly amp-match because of sensitivity issue alone. So Please Fang, give us speaker users some love please. Forget HE6, 83db/mW is a joke. Release a model with 63dB rating and charge $6K, no, $10K. I bet lots of speaker users would throw money at you.

Hahaha or you could just use a lower powered amp... Lets also not encourage Fang to price hike existing products cause he will.

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #509 of 634
I cant believe they already present again a new Version of the HE1000. The first one already sells for 1000 Euros and the prices for the V2 will fall very soon on the 2nd Hand market. It might be a great headphone but those of us who Change their Equipment from time to time will loose lots of Money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back