Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #346 of 634
Music Direct has the 6SE too; write-up:

Spectacular Update of HiFiMAN's Most Popular Headphones Increases Comfort and Usability: Class-Leading HE6se Plays with Ultra-Revealing Detail, Gigantic Soundstaging, and Silky Smooth Treble
It's back. A long-awaited update of what became HiFiMAN's most popular model and the entryway for many listeners into high-end ‘phones, HE6se planar-magnetic headphones add significant usability enhancements to the HE6 – a design beloved by headphone community. A new, lighter headband offers more adjustability and comfort for long listening sessions. Upgraded 3.5mm headphone connectors angled at ten degrees to lessen the pressure points of staring-angled connectors ensure extra longevity and strength. And a new gun-metal gray satin finish turns HE6se into a paragon of elegance. Just as importantly, all the prized sonic aspects of the original HE6 remain exactly the same.

Specifically, silky smooth treble, wicked-fast transients, deep propulsive bass, and a midrange so sweet it'll bring tears to your eyes. And that says nothing about the wide, multi-dimensional soundstaging or neutral depth or pinpoint imaging. After all, the sound reminded The Absolute Sound of "hyper-revealing loudspeakers like the MartinLogan CLX, but with the ability to deliver, deep, powerful bass on demand." Yes, HE6se is that proficient. 100% Music Direct Guaranteed.

(Please note: With a sensitivity rating of 85.dB, HE6se need to be driven by a very powerful headphone amplifier or a full-size power amplifier. An HE Adaptor is provided to serve as a bridge between the headphones and a power amplifier.)

Mmmmm... I used to own the earlier ML CLS IIz's with Gradiant subs, if they are that good or better watch out cans in the over $1500 range.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #347 of 634
Despite the negativity I am tempted by the HE6SE... At the moment it will ether be them or the Empyrean but as always I need to demo them both first!

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #348 of 634
As much disdain as I have for the way hifiman has been ran the last few years, I am interested in the 6e as well. I've been wanting to buy a used he6 but the driver failures have concerned me. I just don't get their new pricing scheme, 6k for a headphone, susvara, is just ridiculous. I always liked the build quality of the older models, like my he4, always felt solid, and to me has always been comfortable. The 560 and up just look and feel so cheap. I thinj they would have brought more people back onto their side if the he6 se was priced the same as the original, and not marked up because of a cheap headband. If it sound exactly the same, then it's literally the same headphone with a different assembly, and the connectors on the old hfm are ones I use on all my full sized cans, I love smc connectors. Some dont, I get that. The whole pricing has driven me away from wanting anything new from hifiman, but that damn 6e would be special for me. I won't drop 1800 thiugh, but it's safe to say if they keep making them and don't limit to 700, it'll be 1k in no time. The he6/he5 (wood original) and obviously jade, are the only hifiman cans that kept their value. He4 kind of has too. I love my he4, and would love to own an he6, but 1800 is alot of cash. Not to some people around here, but to me it is. Not hating on the sound of their products, just the way they've conducted business hasn't made me personally want anything from them except old models, but, a "new" he6 has me lusting. Damn head fi....

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #349 of 634
Never heard the Code-X or the HE-5, but I did have a Code-6. If the two are very similar then I'd have to disagree, but I can see why one would prefer the previous models to the distinctly softer and more distant sound of the HE1000s.

The Code-X and the Code-6 are very different animals. The Code-6 isn't touted to be even as good as the HE-6 and I feel like the Code-X is better than the HE-6 due to their magical treble (unlike the bright HE-6 which need many mods and still isnt as good) and overall tonal balance.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #350 of 634
Technically in the announcement Hifiman indicated that the HE1000SE would only begin shipping in September. My local distributor was under the impression the same applied to the HE6SE. I placed my order with my local distributor as soon as the HE6SE were announced. It seems the first shipment is making it's way to him, and I may have it in my hands within the week.

Not sure why so many negative nancies in this thread are questioning why there are no reviews when directly in the announcement it indicates they will start shipping in September. Sorry, some of us Hifiman fans don't have time machines to go directly into the future by a few weeks, receive our pair, time travel back to the past, and post impressions. Really sorry we let you debbie downers down.

The reason people are questioning the lack of feedback is that HFM has traditionally done "beta testing" prior to release, with the beta testers commenting on the headphones and building up the hype and also making suggestions for improvement for the production units. It's possible that they didn't do beta testing with these, scary considering how bad some of the prototypes were in original form, or that the beta testers are under NDA. Either way, it's a different approach from HFM who also previously made headphones available to certain reviewers prior to general release.

For example, I spent time with a prototype Susvara as did several other head-fiers I know. It was universally considered awful at the time. No doubt, the final version is greatly improved but I would have been appalled to spend $6k on what I heard from the prototype. Perhaps the lack of new technology in these releases has led HFM to believe that 3rd party evaluation and feedback isn't necessary. Either way, given their track record with new releases, I would need to hear these first if I was considering a purchase.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #351 of 634
As much disdain as I have for the way hifiman has been ran the last few years, I am interested in the 6e as well. I've been wanting to buy a used he6 but the driver failures have concerned me. I just don't get their new pricing scheme, 6k for a headphone, susvara, is just ridiculous. I always liked the build quality of the older models, like my he4, always felt solid, and to me has always been comfortable. The 560 and up just look and feel so cheap. I thinj they would have brought more people back onto their side if the he6 se was priced the same as the original, and not marked up because of a cheap headband. If it sound exactly the same, then it's literally the same headphone with a different assembly, and the connectors on the old hfm are ones I use on all my full sized cans, I love smc connectors. Some dont, I get that. The whole pricing has driven me away from wanting anything new from hifiman, but that damn 6e would be special for me. I won't drop 1800 thiugh, but it's safe to say if they keep making them and don't limit to 700, it'll be 1k in no time. The he6/he5 (wood original) and obviously jade, are the only hifiman cans that kept their value. He4 kind of has too. I love my he4, and would love to own an he6, but 1800 is alot of cash. Not to some people around here, but to me it is. Not hating on the sound of their products, just the way they've conducted business hasn't made me personally want anything from them except old models, but, a "new" he6 has me lusting. Damn head fi....

I agree that $1799 is a lot of money. If the Ananda didn't exist, they'd probably try out the $1399 or $1499 line. There is also the competing cans to consider. It could be that the total cost to build/package/ship these is under $500. The market dictates the price, they are not running a charity - although I think they should have me review all their cans and give them to me for my hard work..... hehehehe.

In my perfect world 400's: $150-200, Sundara $375, HE-500 $550, Ananda $750, 6SE $1000 -- wait long enough it'll happen (if they or Mass Drop do the 500 - I might trust MD for QC more than HFM actually). In that world one could buy an Ananda and 6SE for the current price of the 6SE.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #352 of 634
The Code-X and the Code-6 are very different animals. The Code-6 isn't touted to be even as good as the HE-6 and I feel like the Code-X is better than the HE-6 due to their magical treble (unlike the bright HE-6 which need many mods and still isnt as good) and overall tonal balance.
Bu...But Music-Direct Said it has Silky Smooth Treble :jecklinsmile:

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #353 of 634
I agree that $1799 is a lot of money. If the Ananda didn't exist, they'd probably try out the $1399 or $1499 line. There is also the competing cans to consider. It could be that the total cost to build/package/ship these is under $500. The market dictates the price, they are not running a charity - although I think they should have me review all their cans and give them to me for my hard work..... hehehehe.

In my perfect world 400's: $150-200, Sundara $375, HE-500 $550, Ananda $750, 6SE $1000 -- wait long enough it'll happen (if they or Mass Drop do the 500 - I might trust MD for QC more than HFM actually). In that world one could buy an Ananda and 6SE for the current price of the 6SE.

Massdrop has nothing to do with the quality control, their just a supplier.
But I do hope your proposed pricing scheme works out .

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #355 of 634

I'm guessing the Sundara costs more to make than the HE-500 (even assuming the HE-500's build quality was updated like the HE-6se) due to the thinner diaphragms and perhaps other technological advances. Then again, I believe it uses a single sided magnet array unlike the HE-500, which cuts costs in comparison.

Massdrop should definitely do an HE-5XX.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #356 of 634

MD
They must be joking. The He-6 costed 400$ less than the new iteration. Same driver, no r&d cost. New cheap headbang system. This company should go bankrupt, they really think we are fools.

Fang, you are a disgrace. You've lost your mind, definitely.

What the market will bear. If they fizzle at $1800, they'll be dropped. To get the sound they more often then not come up with, I'll take high prices (or wait for the drop(s), or try used prices), and some spotty QC... better than the over priced rubbish on the market such as the Audeze LCD-2.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #357 of 634

I knew MD doesn't make the stuff, but I figured they would do some QC on items they put their name on - for lower mark-up than the manufacturer to protect their brand.

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #358 of 634
I knew MD doesn't make the stuff, but I figured they would do some QC on items they put their name on - for lower mark-up than the manufacturer to protect their brand.

I dont think MD has the time and the staff to actually do that; also, I think many drops are shipped factory to warehouse to consumer withe very little time spent in warehouse for any purpose.

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #359 of 634
I dont think MD has the time and the staff to actually do that; also, I think many drops are shipped factory to warehouse to consumer withe very little time spent in warehouse for any purpose.

In that case, you are 100% correct.

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #360 of 634
Any none electrostatic in this price range doesn't make much sense ,especially heavy and hard to drive can's like this ...700 units ?..LOL who cares ..can they compete with Stax ..hell no
This are made for bragging rights and collectors..HiFiman you disappoint again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back