HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #9,496 of 21,868
We're not immune. But after a quick check
biggrin.gif
of my wardrobe closet...

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #9,497 of 21,868
been listening to HE-6 out of GSX MK2 today,

listened for hours with absolutely no fatigue, and surprised at how good they sound with velours over pleathers. unlike he-500 where i mostly preferred pleathers. 

they're like so neutral yet musical and the bass is just amazing!!

might be burn-in too cause they seem to sound better than the previous days i heard them (i bought these from someone who used them for a few hours only) also the GSX MK2 i think drives them better than i thought at first.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9,498 of 21,868
I do not like velour on the cups of my cans! But... I've become curious. And may set out to find out my sonic prefs between the two.

In more exciting news, my custom Wireworld cable is done. We're only waiting for the SMC connectors to arrive!
popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #9,499 of 21,868

listened for hours with absolutely no fatigue, and surprised at how good they sound with velours over pleathers. unlike he-500 where i mostly preferred pleathers. 

might be burn-in too cause they seem to sound better than the previous days i heard them (i bought these from someone who used them for a few hours only) also the GSX MK2 i think drives them better than i thought at first.

DG, what would be your island setup? say you'll be stuck on an island for the foreseeable future with just food and your music collection, which amp/headphone combo would you take?

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #9,500 of 21,868

Oh yes, just can't beat the bass from a top class SS amp
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #9,501 of 21,868

DG, what would be your island setup? say you'll be stuck on an island for the foreseeable future with just food and your music collection, which amp/headphone combo would you take?

T1/WA2 for sure.

now with GS-X mk2 around, i'm not sure though. im really liking my HE-6 and HD 800 alot

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #9,502 of 21,868
123 in the books...

Hours on the HE-6 are coming on just like the calm before the storm - advancing with little warning:

HE-6   @ 123 hrs
HD650 @ 136 hrs
D7000 @ 1,809 hrs
D5000 @ 1,926 hrs

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,507 of 21,868
They do sound purdy. This thread is 634 pages full of ways to bring the best sound to the table. The overwhelming impression is that they need more power than most headphone amps can offer. I know there are some pretty knowledgeable people that say these don't need that much power but experience says otherwise. When the designer put them on a 100w Threshold speaker amp, things got real interesting. It opened the door to unlimited possibilities that we have been experimenting with. They also pushed the headphone amp makers to up their game from what typically worked for other headphones. Those of us that went the speaker amp route found other headphones can be played on them as well. I've got a $2k headphone amp collecting dust.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #9,508 of 21,868
  123 in the books...

Hours on the HE-6 are coming on just like the calm before the storm - advancing with little warning:

HE-6   @ 123 hrs
HD650 @ 136 hrs
D7000 @ 1,809 hrs
D5000 @ 1,926 hrs

HE-6 will pass 650 in no time, poor 650 :) did I miss the pic?

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #9,509 of 21,868

HE-6 will pass 650 in no time, poor 650 :) did I miss the pic?

No, nuthin' new posted yet. Sometimes, you have seen my pix 
wink.gif
 inside your in-box first, on their way onto public pages. I wouldn't feel sorry for the HD650. They have served me well and have proven to be quite serviceable. They only have minimal hours due to the absence of listening with the big rig in storage and me sitting cafeside... often.

The German cans certainly have a guaranteed place in the rotation and will continue to build hours along side the HE-6. What I really need is my re-cabled Wireworld Eclipse 6 Balanced drive XLR Denon D7000 back! If I don't get another closed set of cans, I'm gonna go crazy.
blink.gif

Not sure how the rest of you HE-6 owners do it. Of course, your inventory could show quite the complement of cans. But external noises while in-session is going to take some getting use to. I personally see very little day-time usage unless I'm either in the library or basement.

I tend to listen to better gears at night anyway. But not all nights are equal - some are better (quieter?) than others. At low listening levels and during quiet passages, I'm contending with the clock and the "Tick-tock and you don't stop"... my clock has
biggrin.gif
the Hip-hop version. Anyway, the motor to the refrigerator coming on, LAPD & LASD with patrol units screamin' by (I'm always hopin' everyone is alright). And then there's the manner of my most wonderful neighbors, hmmm... how to put this on a family friendly forum...... 
rolleyes.gif
gettin' reacquainted. 

I think over time I will eventually find myself conditioned and getting through it all, perhaps, at higher listening levels if that's required.

Update: My HE-6 custom cable is 99% complete - Wireworld is only waiting for the smc connectors to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back