HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #8,461 of 21,879
Quote:
I would assume the next TOTL hifiman will have a bit better sensitivity than the HE-6,  requiring 50W plus speaker amplification is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least,  in my mind it comes across as a bit of a design flaw (just a personal thought.). So  I guess I am sticking with my HE-500's as I prefer a transformer coupled tube amplifification. 

Those who own the HE-6 who like SS should look at the VSSA on DIYA,  it is a step up from the first watt amps and designed in the vein of a 70's amplifier with a modern lateral mosfet.  

I am curious if Hifiman has dropped any hints of a replacement/upgrade to the HE-6 any time soon ?

I would love it if they launched a viable competitor to STAX,

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #8,462 of 21,879
Quote:
I would assume the next TOTL hifiman will have a bit better sensitivity than the HE-6,  requiring 50W plus speaker amplification is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least,  in my mind it comes across as a bit of a design flaw (just a personal thought.). So  I guess I am sticking with my HE-500's as I prefer a transformer coupled tube amplifification. 

Those who own the HE-6 who like SS should look at the VSSA on DIYA,  it is a step up from the first watt amps and designed in the vein of a 70's amplifier with a modern lateral mosfet.  

I am curious if Hifiman has dropped any hints of a replacement/upgrade to the HE-6 any time soon ?

For me and IMO.  Make the next TOTL headphone even more harder to drive
biggrin.gif
  I think HiFiMan hit the ball out the park with this one.  I don't see a flaw in these headphones at all.  You just have to put some work in it to get the best out it.  

A DIY amp is a step up from a Nelson Pass First Watt amp?  Mosfets?  Nelson IIRC is moving or has moved away from mosfets and going to power Jfets or some other things he found that's military grade - I forgot what they was.  However, mosfets are being replaced.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #8,463 of 21,879
nelson is doing silicon carbide jfets now.

Very nice devices when you light them up with enough current.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #8,465 of 21,879
JFets are da Bomb!
Love my F3! and GSX is a JFet as well! JEFTS all the way baby!
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #8,466 of 21,879
Quote:
JFets are da Bomb!
Love my F3! and GSX is a JFet as well! JEFTS all the way baby!
tongue_smile.gif

The company that made the jfets went under, finding matched pairs is difficult.   I was just saying if you like 70s itegrated amps the VSSA is a good project of the same vain with a modern layout and devices.

But for me I think I will stick with HE-500's,  The was one review I read that preferred the HE-500's to the HE-6.

I am interested in the WA5 k1k output,  a 120 ohm tap would deliver the goods,  but the damping factor would be poor,  which may not be an issue if running the HE-6's with "transductance power" as it seems to be working SS,  it may work SET.
Anyone heard the WA5 1k1 output with the HE-6 ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #8,467 of 21,879
Quote:
The company that made the jfets went under, finding matched pairs is difficult.   I was just saying if you like 70s itegrated amps the VSSA is a good project of the same vain with a modern layout and devices.

But for me I think I will stick with HE-500's,  The was one review I read that preferred the HE-500's to the HE-6.

I am interested in the WA5 k1k output,  a 120 ohm tap would deliver the goods,  but the damping factor would be poor,  which may not be an issue if running the HE-6's with "transductance power" as it seems to be working SS,  it may work SET.
Anyone heard the WA5 1k1 output with the HE-6 ?

+1 I think I came across unfavorable opinions but I am not sure if they were actually informed by experience.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #8,469 of 21,879
Quote:
David Mahler (battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared) found the WA5 k1k output with the HE-6 to be sublime.

Thanks for that., I need to revisit that thread. Good to know.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #8,470 of 21,879
Quote:
Quote:
David Mahler (battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared) found the WA5 k1k output with the HE-6 to be sublime.

Thanks for that., I need to revisit that thread. Good to know.

After spending much of Winter 2013 making my "Short list" even shorter, I'm leaning hard toward the WA5/HE-6 pairing. And if I'm really broke after the Woo delivery, my D7000 & HD650 will serve. I'm really gonna make the former move some air!

Still on the short list with the aforementioned cans and potentially the HE-6 & HD800 is the Yamamoto A-09S and McIntosh MC275 Tube amp.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #8,471 of 21,879
Quote:

After spending much of Winter 2013 making my "Short list" even shorter, I'm leaning hard toward the WA5/HE-6 pairing. And if I'm really broke after the Woo delivery, my D7000 & HD650 will serve. I'm really gonna make the former move some air!

Still on the short list with the aforementioned cans and potentially the HE-6 & HD800 is the Yamamoto A-09S and McIntosh MC275 Tube amp.

I can vouch for the HE-6 on a McIntosh amp; my Mc225 sounds fantastic with my own pair

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #8,473 of 21,879
I just got a first watt m2. Wanted to see what a bit more power would add, compared to the 300b set I have, and to give solid state a shot. Very nice and engaging. The amp is voiced to be a bit soft compared to the other first watt options, which I have not heard, and it does have a presentation that reminds me of the 2a3 mono blocks I use with speakers. The m2 is smooth but there is no lack of detail. It is a little polite but if you stop thinking too hard and just listen it is quite engaging and you do not feel like you are missing anything. The separation is a little better than the set amp.d. Not sure if that is the extra watts, the distortion in the set or the just the way the different amps work. The set is not muddled, my wife likes its presentation better and thinks the set is more natural. To me they are close and that is saying a good thing for the solid state. The 25 watts into 8 ohms of the first watt feel plenty powerful even for complex stuff (Mozart mass for example). I do not listen to this stuff on headphones much anyway as I much prefer speakers for orchestra, but the with the first watt the music certainly does not fall apart seem lifeless.

I have seen some say that solid state does not image as well as set. On the headphones anyway, the first watt is as good as the set I am using , or at least close and I do notice a big difference. The is only so much switching in and out of amps that I am willing to do.

Anyway, it seems to be a pretty good thing after using it for a few days.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #8,474 of 21,879
Quote:
I just got a first watt m2. Wanted to see what a bit more power would add, compared to the 300b set I have, and to give solid state a shot. Very nice and engaging. The amp is voiced to be a bit soft compared to the other first watt options, which I have not heard, and it does have a presentation that reminds me of the 2a3 mono blocks I use with speakers. The m2 is smooth but there is no lack of detail. It is a little polite but if you stop thinking too hard and just listen it is quite engaging and you do not feel like you are missing anything. The separation is a little better than the set amp.d. Not sure if that is the extra watts, the distortion in the set or the just the way the different amps work. The set is not muddled, my wife likes its presentation better and thinks the set is more natural. To me they are close and that is saying a good thing for the solid state. The 25 watts into 8 ohms of the first watt feel plenty powerful even for complex stuff (Mozart mass for example). I do not listen to this stuff on headphones much anyway as I much prefer speakers for orchestra, but the with the first watt the music certainly does not fall apart seem lifeless.

I have seen some say that solid state does not image as well as set. On the headphones anyway, the first watt is as good as the set I am using , or at least close and I do notice a big difference. The is only so much switching in and out of amps that I am willing to do.

Congrats are in order!!!

So have you put the 6s on them?  Or are you just using speakers?  

Also what part of MD are you located?

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #8,475 of 21,879
Quote:

congrats! Are you close enough to go the May 25 VA/dc/md headfi meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back