HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,492 of 21,879
Quote:
I've had the rare opportunity to audition many (HE-4, HE-400, HE-500, T-1, HD-800) headphones during the last two months. It was quite a journey and worth the loss of the 6s (for a short time). preproman has graciously given me a fun trial by generously offering part of his stable of headphones during the down time.

THANK YOU sincerely Darryl.
cool.gif

Now, there's one happy camper.........

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #8,495 of 21,879
Ha ha ha  - Not a problem at all.  That's what a close net community is suppose to do.  How are you liking the m51 now that they're getting the balanced treatment?
The 51 gets it's run tonight for the rest of the week. I took yesterday to get familiar with the 6s on the Hilo.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8,498 of 21,879
Oh my, 1st post, please be gentle with me  
size]

Been lurking here now for quit a while but I can't find an answer so I hope you guys can help me out

Right now I own a Denon D2000 but I really need to upgrade to a better (high end) headphone. I'm really interested in the HE-6 as it seems to do really well with all kinds of music (even though I mostly listen to metal, progressive rock and some dance). 

Problem is I'm kind of concered about the leakage of these cans. Best way to find out is to go to a dealer to listen to them myself but before I'll do that I was wondering if it is comparable to the sound that will come from my D2000's when I'm not wearing them (so there is no head to close the cans if you understand what I mean)?

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8,499 of 21,879
The HE6 is a completely open headphone so it will definitely leak out sound. The D2000 leaks quite a bit for a closed headphone, but not near as much.

And the amplification requirements for the two headphones are vastly different
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #8,501 of 21,879
Quote:

So I couldn't just plug a pair of HE-6 into my iphone?

You certainly could!
But I would add a speaker amp into that chain 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Tried that and was actually half decent
(of course it was sarcasm on your side :))

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #8,502 of 21,879
Quote:
The HE6 is a completely open headphone so it will definitely leak out sound. The D2000 leaks quite a bit for a closed headphone, but not near as much.

And the amplification requirements for the two headphones are vastly different
very_evil_smiley.gif

I understand that it leaks, I just like to know how bad it will leak. Will the volume be really loud, something like a really bad and annoying phone speaker sound :p It's kinda hard for me to explain what I mean, English is not my native language... sorry.

Btw if I decide to buy the Hifiman I will connect them directly to the speaker terminals of my Unison Research Unico amp.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #8,503 of 21,879
It will be as annoying as any other full-sized open headphone if you're not the one wearing them. How annoying depends on the listening volume, ambient sound, etc.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #8,504 of 21,879
To say that these cans leak is an understatement. If u wonna know how much the will leak turn up any cans u have to your listening level and keeping the drivers apart set them down and then stand where u would expect a bystander to stand. Whatever u hear there is what another person will hear when u have the he6 on.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #8,505 of 21,879
To say that these cans leak is an understatement. If u wonna know how much the will leak turn up any cans u have to your listening level and keeping the drivers apart set them down and then stand where u would expect a bystander to stand. Whatever u hear there is what another person will hear when u have the he6 on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back