HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,522 of 21,879
The only guideline is not to connect the HE6 to a transformer-coupled tube amp without resistors or the HE Adapter in place. Otherwise, just be careful with the volume controls.

If your amp doesn't have A/B speaker selection you will need to add a speaker switch for convenience.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #8,523 of 21,879
Cool, thanks.  If I'm using the online calculator right, 125w at 8ohm (not sure how the fact that wattage is RMS plays into this) is about 31V, which into a 50ohm load is 20 watts.  I imagine that would be plenty for the HE-6s, and might even blow them up if I weren't careful with the volume knob...

I'll have to look for an a/b switch that isn't going to junk up the signal.  Someone must make a good quality one, right?

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #8,525 of 21,879
Quote:

Hey!  Glad to see the amp's working out for you.  The safest manner of disconnecting the headphones is to turn the amp off in the back, then unplug the XLR M from F.  Leave the bindings connected unless you're looking to hook up something else, speakers maybe, another speaker tap adapter, etc.

Thanks Prashant, for both the amp and the advice. A part of me believed the Odyssey was an unnecessary purchase since my speaker plans were put on hold, but it's definitely come into play with the HE6 :)

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,526 of 21,879
You could get by without an adapter with 125x2. Just be careful with the volume control. I'm using a 150x2 integrated, not because I needed that much power. I got that amp to use solely as a speaker amp. It just so happens that it's the second best amp I've heard with them. But it also has an outstanding preamp, giving me a range all the way up to 11:00 on the volume knob before the sound is deafening.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8,527 of 21,879
Hmm, is there any danger of hot plug - i.e. plugging the He-6 in an already powered up amp?

I'm thinking about way to effectively a/b two amps. A/b 2 dacs is pretty easy; my amp got an input select switch; and both dacs output @ 2v so there're already volume matched.

However 1 dac -> 2 (speaker) amps are quite problematic. I'm thinking about making 2x 4 pin XLR male -> Banana, then plug it in each amps. Then maybe build a XLR switch box. I'm worried about the safety however.They'll be volume matched so it's not the full power of the amp into the He-6.

Is there any danger of plugging the He-6 into an "already-powered-up" integrated amp?

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8,529 of 21,879
Quote:
Hmm, is there any danger of hot plug - i.e. plugging the He-6 in an already powered up amp?

I'm thinking about way to effectively a/b two amps. A/b 2 dacs is pretty easy; my amp got an input select switch; and both dacs output @ 2v so there're already volume matched.

However 1 dac -> 2 (speaker) amps are quite problematic. I'm thinking about making 2x 4 pin XLR male -> Banana, then plug it in each amps. Then maybe build a XLR switch box. I'm worried about the safety however.They'll be volume matched so it's not the full power of the amp into the He-6.

Is there any danger of plugging the He-6 into an "already-powered-up" integrated amp?

The GS-X mk is perfect for this.  It has a loop out.  1 DAC / 2 amps = easy A/Bing of amps with the same DAC.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #8,530 of 21,879
Quote:
You could get by without an adapter with 125x2. Just be careful with the volume control. I'm using a 150x2 integrated, not because I needed that much power. I got that amp to use solely as a speaker amp. It just so happens that it's the second best amp I've heard with them. But it also has an outstanding preamp, giving me a range all the way up to 11:00 on the volume knob before the sound is deafening.

Recap - which one of your fab amps is this again? 

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #8,531 of 21,879
Need some help here guys:

How about plugging the HE-6 direct to one of these tube amps. Its rated at 10Wx2 and the HE-6 should be able to handle it.

Might even go for the 15W/ch model if its safe enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290708858302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,532 of 21,879
I've plugged my headphones into a 80W/channel amp. No problems unless you turn up the volume too loud.

SIMPLE RULE 1:- Always turn the volume control to minimum before connecting or disconnecting the headphones from the amplifier.

SIMPLE RULE 2:- SLOWLY turn up the volume control on the amplifier when you don't know how the system responds.
i.e.  If you have never had the combination working before, or if you change one of the components - make haste SLOWLY.

Simple Rule 3:- Turn down the volume control to minimum when plugging or unplugging any active inputs into the amplifier.
i.e.  If your amp has more than one input it's usually safe to connect any inactive inputs.
If you want to connect or disconnect the currently selected input, turn the volume control to minimum.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #8,535 of 21,879
I thought it was the ones with transformers that were ok without, and the OTLs that needed the resistor load... have I got that backwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back