HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #8,446 of 21,879
Damn... so we should really go for Audio-GD Master 7 + Master 1 + Master 2 then,huh? :wink_face:
Certainly would be a Master lineup. There is so much put into A-gd gear that I'd be curious to know the service activity. They seem to go opposite of the minimalist approach and quality is evident in their materials and components. If you did go with the listed gear, you'd have to have a Master rack built for them........

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #8,447 of 21,879
Can't really go wrong with audio gd amp/preamp since they copy "learned" a lot from Krell.

Not sure about the Dacs though. Lots of competition (Lampi, 360s, Audial etc etc). However, I've always wondered if the HE version of the master 7 could compete with 5k-ish DAC - guess only Kingwa and a selected few know =p.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #8,450 of 21,879
Quote:
The HE version cost 5k or around that I think. Not sure if Kingwa still offers that.

Btw did you get your Reign 24 yet?

What's the HE version - the HE version of what?  lol...  I'm lost on this one.

Yes I have a 6ft Reign 24 hardwired to the HE-6.  I also have a 5ft Reign 24 speaker adapter cable with spades on one end and a 4-pin XLR on the other..

Very transparent cable the Reign series. . 

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #8,451 of 21,879
Quote:

only this???
we must pull the words out of your mouth...
biggrin.gif
deadhorse.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #8,453 of 21,879
Quote:

What's the HE version - the HE version of what?  lol...  I'm lost on this one.

Yes I have a 6ft Reign 24 hardwired to the HE-6.  I also have a 5ft Reign 24 speaker adapter cable with spades on one end and a 4-pin XLR on the other..

HE version is a "higher" version of any products from Kingwa. Basically it's an outboard PSU containing regenerative power supplies. It's mightily hot, cannot be run continuously for more than 8 hours, and cost a ton. 

So the Reign is better than the Norn/Skuld? If I recall correctly you've had both Norn and Skuld cables 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Very curious on how silver plated copper interact with the sounds.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #8,454 of 21,879
HE version is a "higher" version of any products from Kingwa. Basically it's an outboard PSU containing regenerative power supplies. It's mightily hot, cannot be run continuously for more than 8 hours, and cost a ton. 

So the Reign is better than the Norn/Skuld? If I recall correctly you've had both Norn and Skuld cables :bigsmile_face: . Very curious on how silver plated copper interact with the sounds.
His 500s with the Norse cable is very clear, more defined soundstage and has better impact than the regular cable. I look forward to doing a side by side with stock 6s (whenever it might be that I get them back).

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #8,456 of 21,879
Quote:

So the Reign is better than the Norn/Skuld? If I recall correctly you've had both Norn and Skuld cables 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Very curious on how silver plated copper interact with the sounds.

both are very good.  the good thing is they do nothing to much up the sound.  I don't think you would be able to tell them apart.  IMO.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #8,460 of 21,879
I would assume the next TOTL hifiman will have a bit better sensitivity than the HE-6,  requiring 50W plus speaker amplification is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least,  in my mind it comes across as a bit of a design flaw (just a personal thought.). So  I guess I am sticking with my HE-500's as I prefer a transformer coupled tube amplifification. 

Those who own the HE-6 who like SS should look at the VSSA on DIYA,  it is a step up from the first watt amps and designed in the vein of a 70's amplifier with a modern lateral mosfet.  

I am curious if Hifiman has dropped any hints of a replacement/upgrade to the HE-6 any time soon ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back