HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7,412 of 21,868
You no 
tongue_smile.gif
 jokin', baby!

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #7,415 of 21,868
Hi guys!
Anybody use these for gaming?
I was wondering if they d be good for console gaming (PS3,etc) in addition to music :)
I mean yes they are heavy, but they should be great for gaming, no?

Thanks!
Best regards,Luke

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #7,416 of 21,868
I use mines for gaming and love them.
Funny thing is I always loved music but started this journey in search of a good gaming headphone. But could not fine one that sounded good when I wanted to just listen to music. So I changed my search to some good sounding headphones for music and have not looked back.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #7,417 of 21,868
Quote:
I use mines for gaming and love them.
Funny thing is I always loved music but started this journey in search of a good gaming headphone. But could not fine one that sounded good when I wanted to just listen to music. So I changed my search to some good sounding headphones for music and have not looked back.

Can you give a brief comparison with the HE-6 on both the miniX and the mojo?

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #7,418 of 21,868
Hey everyone! I need some advice. 

I would like to invest in planars, and from what i have been reading, HE-6 could be the one for me. I am big fan of HD800, but I do agree that the bass on it could be a tad bit stronger -- just a little. As far as I see it, this is definitely very minimal thing and not enough to make me not love the Senns. From what I understand though, the HE-6 serves up all the good things HD800 does well, and improves on the weaknesses -- on the condition that it is properly driven.

And therein lies my dilemma. Since my headphone setup was built around the HD800, I do not have a HP amp that can drive the HE-6. And since I am working here on budget ( as most of my HP audio gear + MacMini + Amarra + DACs were bought over the last 2 years + had a new baby which necessitated new car purchase = I need to start practicing some self control), I am struggling with deciding whether I should get an amp that could drive my speakers (which are decent in my home theater set up) and wait to get HE-6, or get HE-6 sooner rather than later and run them off my Onkyo SR TX-806 receiver (130 wpc into 8ohms) and get a dedicated amp later; or leave the HE-6 and improve the HD800 set up. My budget for the 1st purchase is roughly the price of HE-6. And the thing is that after/if I make the first purchase (HE-6 vs amp), I may not be able to buy anything else for probably at least 1 year or so, so I would like to get good results immediately.

So here is the question:

Do you think that running HE-6 off a 2008 Onkyo upper-mid level receiver (i.e. MacMini w/Amarra -> NAD m51/Onkyo SR TX806 DAC section -> Onkyo SR TX806 amp section -> HE-6 w/ stack cable) would surpass the performance of my HD800 based system (MacMini w/Amarra -> NAD m51-> DNA Sonett/ SPL Phonitor -> HD800 with ALO Salty Pepper? 

I understand that to get a decently reliable response to this question you would have to at least hear my hd800 set up. Still, I would appreciate your best guesses at the solution to my dilemma. I know some of you heard the HE-6 under all kinds of conditions (including mid level speaker amps), so approximations are welcome. 

Thanks to all who respond! 

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #7,419 of 21,868
I'd live with the 6s and the receiver. The 6 with less than optimal amping is still pretty good. Bass is a noticeable improvement. Soundstage is comparible. Those 800s on some tubes would be pretty nice too but I like the 6s better.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7,420 of 21,868
thanks Happy Camper! +1 for HE-6. 

Anyone else?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,422 of 21,868
The urge to experiment with a new $1K headphone can be more enticing as a consumer than a cheap, low-fi solution.  Even if you do end up buying an HE-6 and running them off your HT receiver (which I wouldn't expect to be better as a combination than the Sonett & HD800), I would suggest you do the Anax mod to your HD800 first.  It's reversible, requires <$20 in materials, has a free template downloadable from Inner Fidelity and a video how-to, measurements back it up, and it's designed to address exactly what you find lacking on the Sennheiser, and exactly to the degree you find the problem troublesome ("just a little").

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #7,423 of 21,868
Thank you Preproman. But now I am back to square one... 
confused_face(1).gif

And thanks spihnixvc! I will definitely need to try check that out. Not to highjack HE-6 thread, but have you head the HD800+Sonett combo -- i.e. are you speaking from experience? In either case, I appreciate the advice. 

Quote:
The urge to experiment with a new $1K headphone can be more enticing as a consumer than a cheap, low-fi solution.  Even if you do end up buying an HE-6 and running them off your HT receiver (which I wouldn't expect to be better as a combination than the Sonett & HD800), I would suggest you do the Anax mod to your HD800 first.  It's reversible, requires <$20 in materials, has a free template downloadable from Inner Fidelity and a video how-to, measurements back it up, and it's designed to address exactly what you find lacking on the Sennheiser, and exactly to the degree you find the problem troublesome ("just a little").

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #7,425 of 21,868
Guys, I have heard the original KSA-5 w/ HE-6 & K1000 and it's straight up awesome.

--

Cante Ista, no I haven't heard the Sonett & HD800 first hand but it's very well regarded as an amp for the HD800.  What I have heard is the HD800 at it's absolute best with Nikon God's Silver Ghost & my own F3 clone.  Of course, I've heard the HD800 at it's worst as well.  I like to think the Sonett is at least close to the Silver Ghost or F3 based on the impressions of trusted friends  (and those with similar reference points.).  Ditto for HE-6.  

To go off on a tangent (and since I'm home sick with strep throat and have nothing better to do), I'm never 100% sure I've heard the HE-6 at it's best.  I guess it's because of all the talk of fusion vs. fission for the HE-6 here.  Yes the F3 was Class A, but it was only 15w per channel.  To be completely honest, my curiosity won't be completed sated until I try them off a J2 or my Stratos.  But my Stratos have a slight hum if I put my ears to the drivers of my speakers, and I feel this will be completely distracting with close-quarters HE-6.  

Another variable I didn't anticipate before was for the Invicta to be as good as it is.  When I sold the Zodiac & bought the Invicta, I was completely prepared for the difference between the 2 DACs to be close to nothing.  I bought the Invicta mostly for the feature set, but as a pleasant surprise, the sonics are on yet another level.  (As far as audiophile levels go of course.)

So I'm curious to try pretty much every headphone I've had again.  I won't, since I need to buy room acoustic stuff for my speakers, and then thereafter invest my money in more productive ways, but I'm definitely curious.  

All this talk about the A-100, it's a great amp for the money, but the Stratos does beat it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back