HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #7,381 of 21,868
Agreed, the Sonnet would be a great Grado headphone amp, but not ideal for orthos. The Stratus looks like it hits all the notes. Hoping to hear one sooner than later.

Several people on the thread are saying it's better than the Balancing Act, not sure I believe that, but it's certainly high praise. You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you hear the LCD-3s on it.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #7,382 of 21,868
Quote:
Several people on the thread are saying it's better than the Balancing Act, not sure I believe that, but it's certainly high praise. You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you hear the LCD-3s on it.

I wonder if it could drive the HE-6s well? 
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #7,384 of 21,868
Quote:
I have my doubts on that one, but I guess it could. The F1 powers them very well. I'll find out how it powers the LCD-3s tomorrow though
biggrin.gif

I found both very different beasts with regards to powering. I found that the HE-6s needed good clean power (and quite a bit of it). The LCD-3s needed a good amount of current and a "synergistic" match to sound their best.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #7,385 of 21,868
I found both very different beasts with regards to powering. I found that the HE-6s needed good clean power (and quite a bit of it). The LCD-3s needed a good amount of current and a "synergistic" match to sound their best.

Yeah if I decide to keep the LCD-3s I won't keep the F1 for them, it's just not necessary and it's entirely too hot and burns way too much power. It's 200 watts constantly, and once it's warm you can't touch it for more than like a second or two

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #7,386 of 21,868
I was reading the first 150 pages and Lordy what a mess. Just makes these headphones all the more amazing. They came out under all kinds of faux pre release problems according to some very reliable posters. Many didn't care for them and felt them too bright, soundstaging had a hole in the middle, bass shy, not worth having if a mid fi headphone amp couldn't suffice. When the speaker amps were introduced, comparisons to stats and LCD bass differences catapulted the 6s to a lofty status. HiFiMan took some heat and certainly proved themselves worthy of praise. But I still think they should have included a speaker amp adapter with every pair as first advertised instead of claiming a quality headphone amp was fine. They even stopped selling any speaker amp adapters. What a sleeping giant that never would have been discovered if we stuck with the company line. But it was the Dr. himself digging a Threshold out for introductions. Quite a storied beginning and continues to shine against the onslaught of it's detractors.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #7,389 of 21,868
Quote:

Happy Camper's "Premiere Pursuit Package" had patience included, no upgrade needed. 
ksc75smile.gif
 Both like and agree with his post...

well... Happy Camper is one of the biggest fans of this headphone
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #7,390 of 21,868
Quote:
Yeah if I decide to keep the LCD-3s I won't keep the F1 for them, it's just not necessary and it's entirely too hot and burns way too much power. It's 200 watts constantly, and once it's warm you can't touch it for more than like a second or two

Lets do the deal so you can have the mj by X-mas
wink_face.gif
  I need to heat my place up anyway. 

In all fairness.  I would like you to listen to my pair of HE-6s I'm sure HC would agree there is a difference in bass when compared to his.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #7,391 of 21,868
Quote:
..... But I still think they should have included a speaker amp adapter with every pair as first advertised instead of claiming a quality headphone amp was fine. They even stopped selling any speaker amp adapters...........

ALO Audio has included the speaker adapter in their Black Friday sale  http://www.aloaudio.com/he-adapter

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #7,392 of 21,868
Quote:
I was reading the first 150 pages and Lordy what a mess. Just makes these headphones all the more amazing. They came out under all kinds of faux pre release problems according to some very reliable posters. Many didn't care for them and felt them too bright, soundstaging had a hole in the middle, bass shy, not worth having if a mid fi headphone amp couldn't suffice. When the speaker amps were introduced, comparisons to stats and LCD bass differences catapulted the 6s to a lofty status. HiFiMan took some heat and certainly proved themselves worthy of praise. But I still think they should have included a speaker amp adapter with every pair as first advertised instead of claiming a quality headphone amp was fine. They even stopped selling any speaker amp adapters. What a sleeping giant that never would have been discovered if we stuck with the company line. But it was the Dr. himself digging a Threshold out for introductions. Quite a storied beginning and continues to shine against the onslaught of it's detractors.

Did that include the prototype making it's way around?  A few area members have the HE-6p and when I heard it, I didn't think much of it.  It was close to the HE-6 but just not as refined.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #7,393 of 21,868
Quote:

Did that include the prototype making it's way around?  A few area members have the HE-6p and when I heard it, I didn't think much of it.  It was close to the HE-6 but just not as refined.

when the E.U loaner program was started, the he-6 was the prototype.
an italian that i know experienced the prototype with the marklevinson mono amplifiers and the he-6 broke.
after this, the program started again at the same point with a different HE-6.
then the italian tried two different versions and i remember that he preferred the prototype

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #7,395 of 21,868
Quote:
I can just imagine an HE-6 at the mercy of a pair of ML-20s that can weld steel.

yes, of course
biggrin.gif

but it was a specific request of the organization of the loaner program.
the second he-6(that i tried)came with a box for the connection with a normal amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back