HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #5,986 of 21,868
Quote:
Ah you mean they create THEIR sound! Gotcha.

And i was babbling away there...

Something like that.

Now here's another thing in audio, accuracy sells. Meaning if I advertise my product as accurate and reviewers review it as accurate, it sells like hotcakes. But nobody asks what is accurate, what I hear is accurate, what I hear through those speakers or headphones are accurate, what the hell is accurate. To my ears if it sounds good its good.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #5,987 of 21,868
Quote:

Something like that.

Now here's another thing in audio, accuracy sells. Meaning if I advertise my product as accurate and reviewers review it as accurate, it sells like hotcakes. But nobody asks what is accurate, what I hear is accurate, what I hear through those speakers or headphones are accurate, what the hell is accurate. To my ears if it sounds good its good.

Yes, you're right.

I totally agree that matters is what we eventually hear.

That's the whole point of music, enjoying what we hear.

Very true.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #5,992 of 21,868
Quote:
I haven't heard the Mjolnir, but I've read about too many defective Schiit products to feel comfortable recommending any Schiit gear for early adoption.

IMO the reports of "all those defective Schiit products" seem wildly exaggerated, probably because they're simply selling a lot more of them due to price point than some more exotic gear.  I have 4 Schiit products, one Lyr was (apparently infamously) defective.  But the nature of the problems had little to do with design and simply was an internal component failure (DC servo intermittently malfunctioning, bad component) which could happen to any amp.  It was fine out of the box and shortly after started acting up.  It could have gone past any designer's QC.  And mfrs can get a bad component.  I think there must have been a bad box of said servos back in the January batch, since the only similar failures I've heard of were both from the same batch, and I haven't heard of any defective DACs. I've heard of no similar incidents with any units before or after that batch.

Much as I love HiFiman's headphones, I'd trust any amp designed by Mike & Jason a lot more than one designed by Fang.   Fang's a heck of a transducer designer, but he should probably stay away from the active electronics for a while....
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Yep, and as long as the sound at the end is pleasurable. That's all that's needed!

Yeah, I like detail and accuracy as much as anyone, but there's such a thing as too much, which is why I went with HE-6 at all.  If I wanted to be detail obsessive without strong regard to musicality I'd have bought HD800 and been done with it
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,993 of 21,868
Quote:
IMO the reports of "all those defective Schiit products" seem wildly exaggerated...

Guess you didn't hear about the Asgard fiasco?

Quote:

Fang's a heck of a transducer designer, but he should probably stay away from the active electronics for a while....
evil_smiley.gif

What's your basis for this statement, out of curiosity?

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #5,994 of 21,868
I am hanging out to give Schiit some coin for their statement rig. And I am confident that if there is ever any manufacturing fault that I will be looked after better than the average customer from any other brand producer.

There would easily be ten great service stories for every one quality or failure issue.

I wish I lived in the US so that I could compare many of the great amps that you have at your local meets but living so far away...I see Schiit as a safe bet.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5,995 of 21,868
Quote:

IMO the reports of "all those defective Schiit products" seem wildly exaggerated

I don't know about that, I've heard a couple of nightmare stories.

Fang's a heck of a transducer designer

Maybe so, but the cable connectors are nothing short of moronic.  My 5LEs use to unscrew themselves every two weeks.  People are hardwiring them (which of course voids the warranty).

Hifiman really needs to improve those cable connections for $1,299 a pop.  No need to reinvent the wheel, the mini XLRs Audez'e uses would be fine.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5,998 of 21,868
Quote:

Guess you didn't hear about the Asgard fiasco?

What's your basis for this statement, out of curiosity?

What Asgard fiasco?  The relay thing? Or something earlier?

Regarding Fang & amps...looking at the HF-6 it's costs way more than it ought to and I've seen too many stories of unpredictable behavior and the loose ends that we kind of expect to see from HFM.  I'm not saying it's a horrible product, but the same kinds of shortcuts that we can ignore on headphones are a lot scarier on active electronics
rolleyes.gif
  He'll probably do ok by the end, but he keeps moving too fast, that he really needs to focus on one or the other and get production squared away before trying to do it all at once. We all love Fang & HiFiMan, but we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't point out they take production shortcuts they probably shouldn't...on an amp, that's kind of scary.

Quote:

I don't know about that, I've heard a couple of nightmare stories.

Maybe so, but the cable connectors are nothing short of moronic.  My 5LEs use to unscrew themselves every two weeks.  People are hardwiring them (which of course voids the warranty).

Hifiman really needs to improve those cable connections for $1,299 a pop.  No need to reinvent the wheel, the mini XLRs Audez'e uses would be fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of those nightmare stories, if you're referring to the fried drivers
wink_face.gif
  But it still comes down to it, it worked out of the box, started misbehaving after a few days, it was a component failure....stuff can happen to any amp, it escaped INDIVIDUAL unit QC as well as my initial usage.  It's hard to ask for more than that.  I've had speaker amps do worse.  Lyr's tend to raise more eyebrows since they're throwing wattages more like a small speaker amp when something goes wrong, and more prone to break things when they fail as a result.  The whole relay situation was more of an RTFM situation.  FWIW, if it were HE-6 I was driving with Lyr, the transducers would have survived the malfunction.  So would HE-400 I suspect.  There are vendors I'd MUCH less rather deal with than Schiit when something like that happens
wink_face.gif

I think the stories from a handful of incidents spread a lot faster than they should have and in some quadrants of the forums there's this "anti-Schiit" undercurrent, maybe because it's a popular product for the moment, that seems to like dragging the stories of a handful of bad units out for no reason.  Other than if I missed something that sridhar3 was alluding to before the relay issue, I haven't really heard of very many failures at all other than a unit or two with a ground issue causing hum. 

HE-400 had a rockier start....

Agreed on the cable connections. They're not horrible, really, but they're not as good as they should be.  That said, I did have a cable that unscrewed itself once after installing a new cable, but out of 3 pairs of hifiman headphones I don't really have any issues with the cable.  I do have issues with the cables poking my shoulders, though.  I pity those who must solder them though.

I'd still rather have the SMC connectors than hardwire though.  Cables can and do fail, and I like being able to replace them without hassle.  Besides, the HD650 pins...those things wiggle out on me all the time
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #5,999 of 21,868
Quote:
Do not get the WA5LE for the HE6. The HE6 distorts with the WA5LE.  The WA5LE is a great amp, but not with the HE6.

It depends how loud you are pushing it. I own the WA5-LE and my HE-6 sound very nice and have never had the need to go higher than 11 O'clock in the volume knob.

Even that the HE6 are 50 ohms they sound better out of the high impedcance output of the WA5-LE to me. Also the Zeus wire and hardwired helped with efficency. I measured the difference and I gained about 1 db in sound.

Also the tubes used in the WA5-LE ha to do with the sound and power/comtrol. In mine I have  the EML 300B Mesh, USAF 596 and IMO the drivers that do the best job are the 6F8G.

If you want something jsut dedicated for the HE-6 then yes, I would go with the Aleph or a small Threshold. I have oned the Aleph 3 and 5 and now a Threshold T50. Between the Aleph I would take the 3 even with the 30 watts instead of the 50 of the 5. IMO the 3 is far warmer and musical. The T50 has rthe similar sound signature to the Aleph 3 but with 50 watts.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #6,000 of 21,868
Quote:
It depends how laod you are psuhing it. I own the WA5-LE and my HE-6 sound very nice and have never had the need to go higher than 11 O'clock inthe volume knob.

The WA5-LE was distorting at medium volumes with the HE6 (below 11), and I don't listen to music that loudly.  It was very evident on busy orchestral passages, kodo drumming, and bass-heavy electronic music like Parov Stelar and Massive Attack.  It certainly sounded more musical than the Tripath, until it started distorting during busy low-end passages.  I believe the 300Bs were EML but I don't remember if they were solid plates or mesh.

Re the Schiit talk, a single data point isn't that compelling.  I know several people who have had multiple RMA issues with Schiit for the same product.  They have a great pedigree and I'm sure they have good intentions, but I've seen enough regulars who got burned.  I don't feel comfortable recommending a first generation Schiit product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back