HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,766 of 21,868
Add me to the "makes too many impulsive decisions club." I just bought a Pioneer SX-950 off ebay to try with the HE-6. Should I run it off the speaker taps, or just from the headphone jack. I don't have a speaker adapter, so I would have to get one. I am also not sure if I should use my Lyr as a tube preamp for it. I am thinking I will just leave it alone.

May 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3,767 of 21,868

Quote:
Add me to the "makes too many impulsive decisions club." I just bought a Pioneer SX-950 off ebay to try with the HE-6. Should I run it off the speaker taps, or just from the headphone jack. I don't have a speaker adapter, so I would have to get one. I am also not sure if I should use my Lyr as a tube preamp for it. I am thinking I will just leave it alone.

Good if it clean I thik you will be shocked. it will run off the headphone jack and if its clean you will love the receiver. What did you snag it for I seen one go for 288.00 and I was tempted but hell no more receivers for me but it will drivve the he6 out of the headphone jack and with great detail and authority. Enjoy

May 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3,768 of 21,868
I paid $245 shipped. I believe it is in very good shape. I made an offer for $200 on it, not really expecting them to agree, but they did. I wanted the 1250, but wasn't willing to pay the price. If it was going to be my only amp, or I wasn't quitting my job in two months for school I probably would have bought it. Anyway, I am very excited about my soon to be SX-950. I love old stuff, it has such character. This will be my first piece of vintage gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300555948937&si=334W4Qg4KQx460P38vK%252Fcllx1Jc%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_552wt_907

May 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3,769 of 21,868

Quote:
I paid $245 shipped. I believe it is in very good shape. I made an offer for $200 on it, not really expecting them to agree, but they did. I wanted the 1250, but wasn't willing to pay the price. If it was going to be my only amp, or I wasn't quitting my job in two months for school I probably would have bought it. Anyway, I am very excited about my soon to be SX-950. I love old stuff, it has such character. This will be my first piece of vintage gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300555948937&si=334W4Qg4KQx460P38vK%252Fcllx1Jc%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_552wt_907

enjoy it i love my 980 and 650 so the 950 should do you good and thats a good price.

May 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,770 of 21,868
As my Lyr has broken in and I have let the 6BZ7 tubes sit and do their thing, the sound with the HE-6 has improved over first listen with the Lyr. It is very open now and beautifully dynamic. 

May 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #3,771 of 21,868

Quote:
As my Lyr has broken in and I have let the 6BZ7 tubes sit and do their thing, the sound with the HE-6 has improved over first listen with the Lyr. It is very open now and beautifully dynamic. 

Sounds good, I'll go get find myself a pair too. I'm pretty happy with the tubes I'm running now (in my sig), but it'll be interesting to try some new ones. 

May 25, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #3,772 of 21,868
I think I found the end it all amp for me.  The NAD 7155 receiver.  The LCD2 and the HE6 at the headphone jack is just beautiful.  God I can't stop listening.  Speaker out to HE6, tears... I got tears in my eyes.  It has a much smaller footprint than your vintage receivers.  LCD2 at the headphone jack.  A/D/S/ speakers on speaker "A" and HE6 on speaker "B".  Clean smooth sound and sweet tone controls if the LCD2s ever needed a little more sparkle or the HE6 needed a little more body.  All I need now is a nice chair like the discussion in the LCD2 thread. 

I may put a XLR4 jack on the front panel going to the speaker out.  I also asked Fang and he said 55w is safe for the HE6 without a resistor as long as the amp doesn't pop.  Back to aural heaven.

May 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3,773 of 21,868
Hello everyone- this is my first post!

I have followed the discussions on head-fi for a while, and finally decided do jump in to it and buy the HE-6 and the Schiit Lyr. The He-6 arrived yesterday and the Lyr should be here any day now. Started listening to the He-6 wit an old amplifier/processor I have- the Philips SBC-HD1502U which probably is not powerful enough fo it but the He-6 definately sounds more detailed than the other headphones I own (Grado sr-80, Beyerdynamic DT 770mr, Sennheiser HD-25) so I´m exited to see what the Lyr will do to improve the sound.

The original plan was to buy the Smyth Realiser A8 as well, since I sometimes work with surround-sound, but I´ve been in contact with Smyth about a professional version that will be released later this year, so I´ll wait for now. 

Probably need a new source as well- I was thinking about the Yulong D100 or the Audio-Gd NFB-3, any suggestions on this? Is a DAC at around 500$ source a good match for the Lyr and HE-6, or would it be better to go for a more expensive DAC?

Thank you to all of head-fi for making it possible to investigate different aspects of headphone listening without being able to audition the different models here in europe.

cheers,

May 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3,774 of 21,868
Quote:
Hello everyone- this is my first post!

I have followed the discussions on head-fi for a while, and finally decided do jump in to it and buy the HE-6 and the Schiit Lyr. The He-6 arrived yesterday and the Lyr should be here any day now. Started listening to the He-6 wit an old amplifier/processor I have- the Philips SBC-HD1502U which probably is not powerful enough fo it but the He-6 definately sounds more detailed than the other headphones I own (Grado sr-80, Beyerdynamic DT 770mr, Sennheiser HD-25) so I´m exited to see what the Lyr will do to improve the sound.

The original plan was to buy the Smyth Realiser A8 as well, since I sometimes work with surround-sound, but I´ve been in contact with Smyth about a professional version that will be released later this year, so I´ll wait for now. 

Probably need a new source as well- I was thinking about the Yulong D100 or the Audio-Gd NFB-3, any suggestions on this? Is a DAC at around 500$ source a good match for the Lyr and HE-6, or would it be better to go for a more expensive DAC?

Thank you to all of head-fi for making it possible to investigate different aspects of headphone listening without being able to audition the different models here in europe.

cheers,

Welcome to the forum!
Without having heard all there is to hear of high end headphones or DACs I would say that with the HE-6 you have one of the best (most revealing / transparent) there is, and thus you would benefit from just about any upgrade you may be willing to try / get / pay for. This is because headphones (and speakers) makes the biggest difference in terms of sound signature, transparency etc. compared to electronics like amps and DACs (especially when taking price into consideration). So - yes - a better DAC would be audible with a HE-6 - and a very much better DAC would give you much better sound. However - what DAC to buy and how much you should spend is up to you and your bankaccount to decide. An Audio-GD Reference 7.1 DAC is on the way to my house, so in the not-so-far future I will be able to comment on that one.

May 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #3,776 of 21,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOund ArouNd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is a DAC at around 500$ source a good match for the Lyr and HE-6, or would it be better to go for a more expensive DAC?

I remember getting a good advice concerning where to put your money when buying a complete stereo set:
Spend between a third and a quarter of the total amount on the speakers, about ten percent on cables and the rest on electronics (cd, dac, amp).
This seems like a good advice also when considering headphones (as stand-in for speakers).

May 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #3,777 of 21,868
I have a little problem with my HE6 fit. The headphone sits to low on my head. Even in the lowest position I still need them to go up a little. I use a sponge under the leather headband to get them up to where I need them. Does anyone out there have a good ideas to raise them up a bit. Like 1/2 inch. Without the sponge they droop down to low. I tried to get some help from HiFiMan but after 4 emails 5 months ago it seems that I am the only one in the world with this problem and they could not help me. I feel a little stupid using a kitchen sponge under a $1000+ set of headphones. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

May 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3,778 of 21,868
I have a little problem with my HE6 fit. The headphone sits to low on my head. Even in the lowest position I still need them to go up a little. I use a sponge under the leather headband to get them up to where I need them. Does anyone out there have a good ideas to raise them up a bit. Like 1/2 inch. Without the sponge they droop down to low. I tried to get some help from HiFiMan but after 4 emails 5 months ago it seems that I am the only one in the world with this problem and they could not help me. I feel a little stupid using a kitchen sponge under a $1000+ set of headphones. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

You may have a problem. Have you tried flattening the headband and putting a sharp bend at the corners? Instead of an oval shape, make it square.

May 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #3,779 of 21,868
No I have not messed with the headband at all. The shape is still original. It is just a little irritating that there is all that space to adjust in the other direction but it does me no good. I have only about 20 hours in 5 months on these because of this misfit. I would even pay someone to build me a slip cover if I knew where to ask.

May 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,780 of 21,868
EF6! Also the speaker tap adapter / impedance box:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman4/1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back