HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3,706 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
I am very interested by these headphones as i am found of my magnepan 1.6 speakers
Do they sound the same ?

Yes, they have all the characteristics of maggies. That includes needing a good amp to drive them. They suck power like a HEMI.

I think the LCD2 is closer to the warm sound of the Maggie MMG I owned. The HE6 is not a warm sounding headphones as the Maggies are and I lived with them when I owned the LCD2 and HE6 and the Maggies. Just my opinion

May 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3,707 of 21,868

Quote:
Yes, they have all the characteristics of maggies. That includes needing a good amp to drive them. They suck power like a HEMI.

I thought HEMI engines gave power.  
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #3,709 of 21,868
Yeah I know.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I'm actually using my HE-6 at work with my WA-22, right now.  Its not the best combo, though.  The WA-22 could use some more power behind it, when driving these phones.

May 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #3,710 of 21,868
I am now running a battery-powered Virtue Audio Sensation M451 with bypassed 3.3 mfd Sonicaps and a Philips JAN5963 in the tube buffer.  It is hard for me to imagine a more dimensional and effortless  sound from my HE-6 (or K1000)!  I do find this combination to sound very much like my maggies, except that the HE6 has an additional octave of lower bass response.

May 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #3,711 of 21,868

I think the LCD2 is closer to the warm sound of the Maggie MMG I owned. The HE6 is not a warm sounding headphones as the Maggies are and I lived with them when I owned the LCD2 and HE6 and the Maggies. Just my opinion

I'm using a tube dac which adds some warmth to the 6s. The clarity and impact do remind me of maggies. IMO

May 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #3,712 of 21,868

Quote:
I am now running a battery-powered Virtue Audio Sensation M451 with bypassed 3.3 mfd Sonicaps and a Philips JAN5963 in the tube buffer.  It is hard for me to imagine a more dimensional and effortless  sound from my HE-6 (or K1000)!

I can confirm the Virtue M451 is excellent with the HE-6's.
Unfortunately I an selling mine because the main reason I bought it was to use with speakers I was planning to get. However plans change and speakers are not on the agenda at the moment plus I do actually prefer the sound signature of the LCD-2's to the HE-6's.

May 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3,713 of 21,868

Quote:
Yeah I know.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I'm actually using my HE-6 at work with my WA-22, right now.  Its not the best combo, though.  The WA-22 could use some more power behind it, when driving these phones.

Yeah I don't like that combo either. I've been wondering how the HE-500 performs with the WA22 though.

May 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #3,714 of 21,868

Quote:
I am very interested by these headphones as i am found of my magnepan 1.6 speakers
Do they sound the same ?

I would second, third, or whatever, ... agreement with the HE-6s and Maggie sound similarities. I have a pair of 1.6s w/ about 5,000 hours on them (they keep getting better) and have had my HE-6s for about 5 months. Amp pairing has a big affect on the sound and, as said ad nauseum but can't be understated, you have to start w/ plenty of power. I've tried my HE-6s with vintage and contemporary receivers, a B&K ST-202 and a Shiit Lyr. The Lyr matches up very well (tremendous bargain and what I am currently using the most) but the sort-of vintage ST-202 surprised me with its musicality and just how good it sounded. So good, relatively inexpensive power is readily available. I haven't heard the LCDs which, as reported by others, may be closer in warmth to the 1.6s than the HE-6s. While warmth to some can tend to darkness for others, I've found that my HE-6s, like my 1.6s have gained warmth in proportion to hours of use without losing any of the other ortho qualities they share. So, do they sound the same? No. If, however, you like your 1.6s, you'll like and continue to like the HE-6s for the same reasons. If you can, though, you should find a way to listen to both the HE-6s and the LCDs bearing mind to find pairs that have both had substantial hours of play time.

May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3,715 of 21,868

Quote:
I would second, third, or whatever, ... agreement with the HE-6s and Maggie sound similarities. I have a pair of 1.6s w/ about 5,000 hours on them (they keep getting better) and have had my HE-6s for about 5 months. Amp pairing has a big affect on the sound and, as said ad nauseum but can't be understated, you have to start w/ plenty of power. I've tried my HE-6s with vintage and contemporary receivers, a B&K ST-202 and a Shiit Lyr. The Lyr matches up very well (tremendous bargain and what I am currently using the most) but the sort-of vintage ST-202 surprised me with its musicality and just how good it sounded. So good, relatively inexpensive power is readily available. I haven't heard the LCDs which, as reported by others, may be closer in warmth to the 1.6s than the HE-6s. While warmth to some can tend to darkness for others, I've found that my HE-6s, like my 1.6s have gained warmth in proportion to hours of use without losing any of the other ortho qualities they share. So, do they sound the same? No. If, however, you like your 1.6s, you'll like and continue to like the HE-6s for the same reasons. If you can, though, you should find a way to listen to both the HE-6s and the LCDs bearing mind to find pairs that have both had substantial hours of play time.

I agree with your assessment of the HE6 and if you ever hear the LCD2 you will get almost the identical sound signature of at least my MMG had. No question the HE6 has that incredible transparency a Maggie trait but the LCD2 you would fins closer to that warm signature both exceptional but for me it was a tough choice but I decided i liked the HE6 a tad more.

May 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3,716 of 21,868
Listening to Bobby Mcferrin Bang Zoom album on the HE6 and Pioneer SX650 what a recording man this album never sounded so good. Incredibly clear and detailed with a wide and pinpoint soundstage. These receivers continue to astonish especially the Pioneer Silver series. great music and probably his best recording

May 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3,717 of 21,868
My HE6s came yesterday before work, so I didn't get much time to spend with them until early this monring. My inital impression is "WOW". I have them connected to my almost-done b22/o22 (panels are out at FPE). I will try a little A/Bing against my T1s tonight, but they may be my new favorite. I will definitely need to start looking at some of the vintage receivers now.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3,720 of 21,868

Quote:
Yeah but the difference is that the headphone out of my vintage Pioneer receivers sounds absolutely outstanding - better than any SS headphone amp I have ever heard.  These 70's high end receivers are on a very different level than any mass-market surround receiver is today.

Ok you sparked my interest, so I am getting a Pioneer SX 650. The reason is I still have not heard anything that comes close to my WA5LE/HE6 and the cost of the used sx650 is way less than any of my tubes so why not give this amp its day in court.

Do you still use the headphone jack or do you use pigtails on the Pioneer SX650 and if you use pigtails do you use resistors?

@ Frank I, I just saw you also have the SX650, any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back