HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #766 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
MORE IMPRESSIONS:

I've compared them to my Westone ES5 custom IEM tonight and would say the HE-6 remind me the most of the ES5 in terms of clarity, silky smooth treble, deep bass, rich mids, transparency and speed, but the HE-6 are a little more forward than the ES5

Anything you find the HE6 to do better than the ES5?  If not, it's beginning to sound like having an LCD2 and ES5 would be a winning 1-2 punch.

I'm not sure yet - the biggest differences being in the soundstage and forwardness of the HE-6 mids. It was easier to list what specifically I thought was similar between the two (see bold above).  I'm not sure either one does anything better yet, but maybe with Pink Floyd "Animals" cranked up loud the ES5 do a better job balancing the bass, mids and highs than the HE-6 at high volume.  HE-6 is better at low to normal volumes for me with the amps I've tried, which I think will change like the prototype when I go to a more powerful amp.

The ES5 being an IEM have more in head soundstage than a full-size phone (headstage) but they have a good bit of out-of-head experience and the sound doesn't seem to come directly from speakers in my ear - they disappear.  The HE-6 also disappear easily, but with their slightly more forward soundstage they also have some in head soundstage to go with it, but they also have sound coming from all directions and not just inside the head (like the LCD-2 and HD800).  No headphone will soundstage like a speaker, not even my old K1000.  The HE-6 do have a bigger soundstage than my HE-5 LE, but not as big as my HD800 in terms of sheer size width depth of soundstage. The HE-6 are not too forward in any way, but like the HD600 they are more forward in the mids than the HD800, LCD-2, original HE-5, or O2 Mk1, although less forward than my HF-2 or ESW10JPN.  (I'm repeating myself)

EDIT and clarification - In response to Duckman I don't think the soundstage and imaging have any smearing or imprecision.  Instrument placement is just fine.  I will admit that depth is not a great as with the K1000, HD800, LCD-2 or O2 Mk1, but width is good and the hall acoustics come from outside the head as they should.

Quote:
Quote:
MORE IMPRESSIONS:

For those that can't afford the HE-6, a re-cabled HE-5 LE is still a good alternative for a similar sound.  Out of my ZDT amp several people at RMAF agreed that my HE-5 LE were a better match than the LCD-2 were.  Just as the HE-5 LE was an evolutionary improvement over the original HE-5, the HE-6 is an evolutionary improvement over the HE-5 LE, that restores some of the air, sparkle and transparency that the HE-5 LE gave up over the original in an effort to smooth out the highs and fix the shallow hole in the mids and soundstage.

Thanks for your impressions. I am really not sure if I should go for the HE-6 since I enjoy my HE-5 LE so much (and the HE-6 are still 900$!). When I passed from the HE-5 to the HE-5 LE I remember I could not hear so much difference between the two, except for the sometime excessive brightness that disappeared. 

Do you feel there is a difference in the presentation of bass ?

The bass between them is similar, but the HE-6 may be a little stronger at 20Hz.  The biggest difference between HE-6 and HE-5 LE is in the higher clarity and transparency and delicacy or finesse in the fine details and treble with the HE-6.  And the lower efficiency of the HE-6.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #767 of 21,868
Does the Production HE6 have any more warmth than the prototype? (I don't mean roll-off)  That was my only real complaint.  My Mackie Reference Monitors have more warmth at least in the midrange, and they aren't exactly warm sounding speakers- I've heard people complain that the Mackies aren't warm enough compared to something like a B+W.

Interesting to see the LCD-2 and HE-6 side by side.  It is cool that we have 2 flagship orthos, with different signatures, and complete opposite looks.  One looks like a specialized tool in the workplace, and the other looks like a luxurious item that would go very well with silk and diamonds and a glass of Brandy or something.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #768 of 21,868

Quote:

Interesting to see the LCD-2 and HE-6 side by side.  It is cool that we have 2 flagship orthos, with different signatures, and complete opposite looks.  One looks like a specialized tool in the workplace, and the other looks like a luxurious item that would go very well with silk and diamonds and a glass of Brandy or something.

Yes on one hand its great because each has its own flavour and you can pick one depending on the taste you like that day but on the other hand I don't want to live on the streets just so I can afford both.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #769 of 21,868
Still none that wants to compare the highs with the k701.

I'm still torn between the LCD2 and HE6.

I really want some decent highs, but I'm very sensitive to them and therefore afraid the HE6 will be to much for me.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #770 of 21,868
I'm not understanding all the love. To me, and in comparison to the LCD2, the soundstage is still smeared, lacking precision and depth. A bit like all recordings were made with spaced omni microphones, rather than ORTF, XY or Blumlein (for the tapers out there). Where as the LCD2 has incredibly precise imaging, with each instrument located in its own space (depending on the recording of course), in a more 3D configuration.

Also, the timbre of instruments on the LCD2 is so much more realistic, fleshed out and natural (IMO of course).

Could be my amp or simple personal preference.

I far prefer the comfort of the HE6 and do enjoy the airier quality.

I would love a compromise between these phones.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #771 of 21,868

Quote:
I'm not understanding all the love. To me, and in comparison to the LCD2, the soundstage is still smeared, lacking precision and depth. A bit like all recordings were made with spaced omni microphones, rather than ORTF, XY or Blumlein (for the tapers out there). Where as the LCD2 has incredibly precise imaging, with each instrument located in its own space (depending on the recording of course), in a more 3D configuration.

Also, the timbre of instruments on the LCD2 is so much more realistic, fleshed out and natural (IMO of course).

Could be my amp or simple personal preference.

I far prefer the comfort of the HE6 and do enjoy the airier quality.

I would love a compromise between these phones.

I have none of these issues with the HE-6. To my ears, it sounds every bit as realistic as the LCD-2, possibly even moreso in the highs. It sounds like yours might be defective? Or maybe it's just really bad amp synergy like you say.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #772 of 21,868
Maybe. Hopefully I'll be hearing another pair soon to compare. Been whinging to my headphone mates pivately too :)

Muppet, would you say the imaging of the HE6 is as precise as your O2?

Quote:
I have none of these issues with the HE-6. To my ears, it sounds every bit as realistic as the LCD-2, possibly even moreso in the highs. It sounds like yours might be defective? Or maybe it's just really bad amp synergy like you say.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #773 of 21,868

Quote:
Maybe. Hopefully I'll be hearing another pair soon to compare. Been whinging to my headphone mates pivately too :)

Muppet, would you say the imaging of the HE6 is as precise as your O2?

Quote:

At this point I feel pretty comfortable saying my O2 mk1 trumps the LCD-2 and HE-6 in imaging--- only slightly. Which makes sense to me, given that my electrostatic amp is currently much higher-end than my [ortho]dynamic amp. When I have access to a Beta 22 again, and my Leben arrives from Japan, I figure it'll be a more even fight.

On a related note, I'm not going to be doing any LCD-2 comparisons any time soon. The left block has cracked so badly that I don't want to use them until I get the replacements from Audez'e. Apologies to those who were waiting on my SR-507 vs. LCD-2 and HE-6 vs. LCD-2 comparisons.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #774 of 21,868
Just means more time for a good 507 vs HE6 comparison. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #776 of 21,868
one thing is for certain, muppetface - you have acquired an enviable headphone arsenal.
if you're not hearing state-of-the-art at this point, then there is no state-of-the-art.  ; )

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #777 of 21,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is "prodo" chinese for prototype?
tongue.gif
  seriously, those are some powerful statements you've made. you prefer them to the HP2s, HD800s, T1s, LCDs, R10s, K1000s, Jades, Orpheus, & JH-3a?!?!
Romy, your pix make the he6 look far more elegant & refined than the lcd, which looks crude in comparison. i do like the lcd wood box though.

Prodo = production

And I agree, the LCD-2 looks kind of gangly in that pic.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #779 of 21,868
I have to disagree with Duckman that the soundstage of HE6 is smeared, lacking precision and depth.
If you use a good amplifier (mine ZDT) and with the balanced connection (I use both Twag for the HE6
and Audeze LCD2 ) and I used the ZDT with 2 4pin XLR so that I can compare the two at the same time
and same song,
   I found that it is contrary to what you observed, I found that the sound stage of LCD2 is definitely narrower ,
also the focus and depth are not there.  That is not the case of HE6 at all.  I tried to use Twag which should
open up the soundstage more but it still notto the level of HE6.  The musicality of LCD2 is there but the
HE6 has its own musicality in a different way.
   I also liked the bass response of HE6 more than the LCD 2 , it's more thumping probably with the same
impact and goes deeper than the LCD2.   I think almost everybody agreed with the roll off the of the LCD2
and would more like it to open up more.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #780 of 21,868
Just ended a 6 hour dedicated listening session. All I can say after that is... HE-6 = good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back