HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #20,731 of 21,868
I and many others have removed it in the course of performing other mods. It didn’t seem like it did much, but probably tamed the high end a slight bit.
So the quarter foam was for taming the highs? Still wondering why only a quarter is covered with foam.

What if you double down with foam there or cover half, 3 quarters or the whole driver? Puzzles me why Hidiman decided on quarter of the whole surface.

I wonder if anybody experiemented with that?

Anybody familiar with code-sex mod? What did LFF essesntially do?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #20,732 of 21,868
So the quarter foam was for taming the highs? Still wondering why only a quarter is covered with foam.

What if you double down with foam there or cover half, 3 quarters or the whole driver? Puzzles me why Hidiman decided on quarter of the whole surface.

I used to own a Code-Sex. It looked like the mods was mostly frontal dampening of the driver.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #20,734 of 21,868
to dampen is to wet or moisten. the correct term is to damp, which is to control or restrain.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #20,735 of 21,868
When we say dampening, what does that mean? Does it mean acoustic filtering like in using foam to recess a range of frequencies? Like covering the driver with certain type of material like felt?

Yea, basically acoustic filtering in-front of the driver to reduce some of the higher frequencies. The outer layer looked like a vented paper filter, like a charcoal breathing mask. I'm not sure what if anything more was underneath it.

to dampen is to wet or moisten. the correct term is to damp, which is to control or restrain.

Uh, no. Reference #2.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dampening

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #20,736 of 21,868

Any listening env can have too much damping or too little. A room with wall to wall carpeting, lots of stuffed furniture, and thick wall hangings is going to sound dead vs a huge room with oak floors and tons of glass will be way too live.

Diffusion is an important factor in rooms for giving a sense of a life like sound stage (depth, overtones, allowing instruments not to bleed into each other, black background). Headphones don't have a lot of room for that - open back, angled pads, damping - can address that to some extent.

I'm sure they tested different percentages of coverage and determined that 1/4 was correct to them. My guess is that the HE-6 development yielded such good results in a testing harness, that they spent a minimal amount of time tailoring for the listener. The proliferation of mods for this can and other HFM cans of that time (HE-5, HE-500) is notable. My own HE-500's which is a trickle down version of the HE-6, sound remarkably different and better with a number of mods. Now its true that the same can be said of many cans. But people address so many mods at this generation of HFM cans because there is so much potential in them.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #20,737 of 21,868
HE-6 is the weirdest headphone. Strap it to a speaker amp and it is all beauty. Custom cables are necessary.

The Chinese owner might not have designed it that way. It might be pure accident. It doesn't matter. Give the HE-6 power. It behaves like an American muscle car.

Through a headphone jack, the HE-6 will stutter. Any headphone jack. It will sound bright.

Through speaker outputs, the HE-6 will make you believe.

It isn't built for listening. It is built for belief.

You will hear a new world.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #20,738 of 21,868
HE-6 is the weirdest headphone. Strap it to a speaker amp and it is all beauty. Custom cables are necessary.

The Chinese owner might not have designed it that way. It might be pure accident. It doesn't matter. Give the HE-6 power. It behaves like an American muscle car.

Through a headphone jack, the HE-6 will stutter. Any headphone jack. It will sound bright.

I think it sounds bright because it does have quitr a bit of upper, upper mids articulation and without ample amping, you probably don't get enough of the mids to low-end, which makes it sound even sharper up there.

I notice a bit of sibilance with these? Any suggestion to tame it? Anybody try damping for it? I'm going to to try Sonarworks EQ and see how well that goes. Because everything else I luv about these. The decay response and how ambient sounds pop out being holographic.

Anybody try various DACs, and was there one that seem sibilance seem more muted or less energy, but still detailed and realistic sounding? Anybody try R2R?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #20,740 of 21,868

I believe it's the power supply that makes the 6 a beast. Not all speaker amps are the same with the same power rating.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #20,744 of 21,868
This track expresses how dynamic HE-6 is. Also, this recording sounds realistic with the HE-6, like you are actually there. It really amazes me with certain recordings. It really has exceptional decay characteristics, if not the background (ambient) sounds wouldn't sound so realistic and convincing of distance of the sounds to bring out realism in depth. Like drums for example needs good impact and decay timing.

Bass string strums/pluckings pop out and sounds very dimensional, I notice this with instruments with this headphone, sounds tend to pop out causing dimensionality to sounds.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #20,745 of 21,868
I'm curious, has anyone been able to successfully swap out the SMC terminals/sockets for 2.5mm or 3.5mm terminals/sockets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back