HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #19,831 of 21,879
For the longest time I was using a F6, which I recently sold when I got a DIY VFET amp.

I'm gathering the parts to build another F6 myself.

I've had the M2, which I thought was too warm and not on the same (technical) level as the F6.

Have you heard the HE-6 through your DIY Sony VFET amp? If so, how would you rate it amongst the other amps you've been pairing with the HE-6?

I'm asking because I'm sitting here listening to my build of the DiY VFET amp, and it's simply amazing. Basically a stock HE-6, with most of the dampig material removed, a nice fat diy cable and this beast:

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #19,833 of 21,879
Have you heard the HE-6 through your DIY Sony VFET amp? If so, how would you rate it amongst the other amps you've been pairing with the HE-6?

I'm asking because I'm sitting here listening to my build of the DiY VFET amp, and it's simply amazing. Basically a stock HE-6, with most of the dampig material removed, a nice fat diy cable and this beast:

Holy crap that amp!  

Have to agree with @cskippy .  Holy Crap!!!!!
eek.gif
  My heart jumped when I saw it.

I think I want to build one.... How much did that cost to build?  How long did it take to build?  Where did you get the schematics?  Where did you source the parts from?

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #19,834 of 21,879
Well, the amp is part 2 of the SONY VFET DIY series brought to life by Nelson Pass. Here's the corresponding diyaudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/276711-sony-vfet-amplifier-part-2-a.html The first post links to the article containing all the info on this version of the amp.

The amp is built around the Sony VFETs (Vertical Field Effect Transistors) 2SK82 and 2SJ28. They are proper unobtainium. There was a limited group buy for these parts, and I'm not aware of a reliable source where you can currently get them.

Cost of the build is hard to gauge, but I guess it cost less than the HE-6. It took quite some time to build, again hard to gauge. This amp is not something you'd build on a weekend. With all the metal work, sourcing and matching parts, soldering, wiring and biasing, I'd guess it easily took 100hrs.

The amp is normally part of my speaker setup (mid/woofer amp).

My current amp is an Aleph Headphone Amp, another Pass design:

There's also an Aleph J , currently on Tweeter duty:

Lastly, there's also this silly thing in the works, Aleph X Headphone amp:

Lots of amps to choose from... :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #19,836 of 21,879
Well, the amp is part 2 of the SONY VFET DIY series brought to life by Nelson Pass. Here's the corresponding diyaudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/276711-sony-vfet-amplifier-part-2-a.html The first post links to the article containing all the info on this version of the amp.

The amp is built around the Sony VFETs (Vertical Field Effect Transistors) 2SK82 and 2SJ28. They are proper unobtainium. There was a limited group buy for these parts, and I'm not aware of a reliable source where you can currently get them.

Cost of the build is hard to gauge, but I guess it cost less than the HE-6. It took quite some time to build, again hard to gauge. This amp is not something you'd build on a weekend. With all the metal work, sourcing and matching parts, soldering, wiring and biasing, I'd guess it easily took 100hrs.

Lots of amps to choose from...
smily_headphones1.gif

So it is totally DYI then.  Including metal work.  Unfortunately I don't have the equipment or skills to do the metal work....
frown.gif

Do you know of a DYI amp that you can source parts for easily? 

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #19,837 of 21,879
Hi folks, new HE-6 owner here. I've had the HE-6 for some time now, but this is my first time posting on the subject.

Today I've hacked the TRS-XLR into a speaker output adapter, desoldering the TRS-connector and putting hollow beryllium copper banana plugs in its place. Gonna listen to some nice amps tonight :)

I would like to do the same thing! Is there a schematic on how to do it? Seeing your creations, it would be safe to assume that you know your way with the solder iron, but is it something difficult to do? Can the TRS jack be soldered back to the cable? Many thanks!

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #19,838 of 21,879
I would like to do the same thing! Is there a schematic on how to do it? Seeing your creations, it would be safe to assume that you know your way with the solder iron, but is it something difficult to do? Can the TRS jack be soldered back to the cable? Many thanks!

There are a few on the web.  I would do a search for "DYI he6 cable" on Google.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #19,839 of 21,879
There's really not much to it, you unscrew the lower part of the TRS, carefully desolder the wires, redo the braiding to your liking, solder the banana plugs and add heat shrink tube. It should be fully reversible. Be careful with the heat from the soldering iron, the cables' insulation melts very easily! You will need a DMM to determine the ground wires. The signal wires have red (right) and blue (left) markings.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #19,841 of 21,879
There are a few on the web.  I would do a search for "DYI he6 cable" on Google.

There's really not much to it, you unscrew the lower part of the TRS, carefully desolder the wires, redo the braiding to your liking, solder the banana plugs and add heat shrink tube. It should be fully reversible. Be careful with the heat from the soldering iron, the cables' insulation melts very easily! You will need a DMM to determine the ground wires. The signal wires have red (right) and blue (left) markings.

Many thanks! Do you think that using a different cable from the female plug to the speaker taps will influence the sound? Maybe it would be best to prepare a new cable with banana or spade plugs on one side and hifimans connectors on the other?
So, Rodeodave, how did you like your HE -6s?

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #19,842 of 21,879
  i bought hifiman 560 and i really like but i changed the pads and added doggie treats from mrspeakers that tame a bit the highs

i like the 560 alot now, this leads to ask for a totl hifiman that has

1- more punchy bass
2- wider sound stage
3- less bright
4- more full sounding and layered

i was wondering if HE-6 is the answer 

also is there any portable amp that really can drive th HE-6 with authority, I have alo mk3-B amp which drives 560 really good

Eh, maybe, but HE-6 is probably just going to make you frustrated because of amping requirements. HE-1K is a good rec, but idk if I'd call the bass "punchy." Though it is 2, 3, and 4 without question.

Have you considered the Abyss or (this is kind of out of left field) Fostex Th-900?

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #19,844 of 21,879

I like the bass response, but not so much the treble. I feel the F6 had better clarity and no harshness up there.
My F6 DIY build is taking a very long time, though...

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #19,845 of 21,879

Lots of amps to choose from... :)

Any interest in the beast F4? Curious how that sounds. My F7 sounds incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back